AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help my friend with his NEC 6200 Xtra projector, as he is experiencing some difficulties.

It seems that after a few hours of operation, his projector "pops" and gives the error code ff-fc. (I think it's fc, it might be ff-fe, I can't really remember)

He then calls the local repair guy that NEC suggests, who comes out and takes said projector. He then returns it and says that it's fixed, as well as telling us that he replaced the deflection board and charging friend 1600 dollars.

Friend reinstalls projector, I come over and re-converge the thing, and a few hours after I leave, it "pops" again and gives the same error code.

This cycle has repeated a few times now, and I think we're all getting a bit tired of it all. :)

At this point, the technician who comes out to keep replacing the deflection board says that I'm adjusting the projector "too far", meaning that I shouldn't have to adjust any of the electronic settings (such as amplitude, keyhole, tilt, phase, etc.) to more than +/- 25 on the little adjuster scales.

This last time, I managed to keep all the settings to within the requested tolerance, except for the vertical amplitude, which I had to squeeze to about -30 to fit his 16x9 format screen properly. The thing still "popped" a few hours after I left and I guess the repair guy is coming out Monday sometime to fix it again.

I guess to me it sounds like this repair guy isn't really fixing anything, just treating the symptoms after something inside the projector has failed. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? Any insight as to why this viscious circle must continue?

:confused:

Thanks for your help,

Aaron Bockelie

· Registered
596 Posts
Hi Aaron!

I live out in Monroe, and can probably give you a hand. I have had many PG series NEC's.

If you want, you can give me a call at 360-805-0754.

Later, Drew

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said, I couldn't completely remember. After seeing the codes, it was 00-f8. (got 00 and ff transposed for some reason oops)

After it snaps, which sounds like a big static discharge, it turns off. When you turn it on, the code is posted, and you can hear the high voltage circuit energize inside the projector. After about 10 seconds, the whole thing shuts down again.

Aaron

· Registered
18,489 Posts
Get Drew to look at it. You could have almost bought another used Xtra for that amount of money spent. I would see if you can get a refund from said NEC tech...

Curt

· Registered
4,531 Posts
Aaron,

Check to see if he is using the correct replacement part, if this is the Horiz. output transistor, I find the Toshiba 2SC4288A (original) works the best.

Usually this failure will give you a FD error. I think your right that there might be other things causing this failure and this is probably frustrating for him as well as you. Other things to look at is the C or F-Drive breaking down, because this is taking awhile to fail after repair its going to be tough sorting out what it is. If it is the H out thats failing is does point to the set-up if its being ran out of spec and overheating the part. By now you can bet something is getting weak on the deflection board

Theres a difference between a pop and a snap, the snap usually means a HV arch to the chassis somewhere. On some new tubes it takes about 30 hrs to clear impurities from inside the tube itself, when it pops (but not as loud) its vaporizing the impurities and will shut down the projector in most cases, I also find if the projector sets for a long time it will do the same or in drastic temp changes. It will usually start back up with no problem.

Be patient and see what he finds, clean around all the HV lines and the splitter with a dry paint brush, look for a crack or if you can see where its arching to or from. Doug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.