AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure whether this should go on screens or CRT's, I haven't double posted.

Anyway, I'm seriously looking at an NEC 6pg Extra but I'm not sure what kind of screen I should purchase for it.

A person I spoke to at a hi fi store that sells screens suggested a 1.1 gain screen made by a local manufacturer, but I've noticed that CRT users tend to use screens with higher gain levels than this.

What's more, the room that the projector is going in will be multi purpose so I don't have complete control over ambient light. Combined with the less bright image of the CRT projector, I'm wondering whether 1.1 gain will be enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at 16:9 , 100 to 110" I suppose

Im still not sure about the aspect ratio of it, because Ill be watching a bit of tv as well so I might be better off going a diff aspect ratio and doing the masking thing.

The projector is a lot cheaper than I was planning on spending so I have quite a bit left over to spend on the screen

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I would not go over 92" diagonal as you are going to lose brightness and start to push the projector I have a 6pg xtra and use a 1.3 gain screen it looks awesome 80by45 16:9 screen

·
Registered
24,938 Posts
Dylan,

I would agree with the kjohn, that 110" is way too big for that PJ and maybe too big for any single CRT. Additionally look at getting really good light control since this is the situation which will maximize the fantastic images CRTs can produce. I actually use a 1.8 gain screen ,and love it ,but this isn't the consensus here. With this gain one does get a little more hot spotting but this isn't at all objectionable to me.

Art

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I second the idea using at most an 80" wide screen. This is about as large as you would want to go with 7" CRT projector. So either use a 80"x45" (16:9) screen or a 80"x60" (4:3) screen.

FWIW, my first screen was a 96"x54" screen and it was too large for my projector (NEC 6PG Plus). So I switched to a Stewart 80"x45" Studiotek 130 (1.3 gain) screen. The results were dramatic when using the more appropriate screen size.

You can see my projector and screen in action by clicking on my link below my signature.:)

·
Registered
27,355 Posts
Dylan,

Not to be a salesman but I've got a better version of what you want for sale.

I've got an almost-new Runco 980 Ultra with 440 hours on the tubes and a Da-Lite 'Da-Snap' Cinemavision 1.3 gain screen (54 X 92 - 16:9) for sale, cheap! I'm the only owner! (Mounting bracket inc.)

Jeff

(send e-mail if interested)

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm in agreement with everyone--100" wide 16x9 is a little too large for the projector in terms of getting decent light levels. I use a 84" x 47" 16x9 screen, and it is suitably large eventhough I'm 14' away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for your advice guys,

thebland, unfortunately I'm in Sydney so I don't think I'll be able to get that projector off you :)

No one has really answered my question though as to whether a 1.1 gain screen would be bright enough, or should I try to go at least 1.3. Or is there no real discernable difference between 1.1 and 1.3?

D.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Dylan,

The first solution I would look at (even though it's a multi-purpose room) is to see how you could attractively control the lighting situation in the room (eg., blackout shades, drapes, controlled lighting, etc.).

It's a trade off with a room with any ambient light. Honestly with CRT any ambient light will hinder the picture. Most people with CRT projectors have complete light controlled rooms and use a 1.3 or 1.5 gain screen to help aid the reflected light back towards the viewer.

In your case, you may want to get some screen samples from 1.3 up to 2.0 to see how much gain you want. The obvious tradeoff with high gain screens like 1.8 or 2.0 is hotspotting and color shift, but you may get a brighter image in a slightly lit room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.