AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing a problem with red convergence settings. Yesterday, the red convergence settings started snapping in and out until today they turned off completely. Any changes to the red settings (static, tilt, bow, etc.) had no effect.

Blue and green continued to operate normally.

As I was getting ready to post this, I decided I should completely power off the projector before posting. Previously, I had only turned it off via remote. After I plugged it back in and turned it on, it was back to normal.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, there are no error codes being displayed and the problem is the projector, not the source.

A possible contributor to the problem might be the component to VGA adapter I am using. It blooms the red, especially noticeable on cross hatch patterns.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Todd,

This sounds like the c drive is going out (red) usually thermal. If its starting to shut it down Id suggest replacing. In some cases it can be a cold solder or dropped solder joint on the red circuit but if you take it out you may as well replace it with a new one.

Any changes in the signal chain that has different signal properties usually needs to have a new signal entry, if you did one and used the red drive amp more then normal it could affect it. When converging take breaks to let it cool back down.

Red blooming from the adaptor could be non 75 ohm on that color like a unteminated connector somewhere in the red chain. It could also be the f drive overheating on the red and overheating the c drive next to it causing it.

If you know the projector try swapping the green and red cable at the projector to see if the green blooms to check the adaptor then swap the colors on the f drive to see if the red focus amp is working right.

This should start to narrow the problem down. Doug

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, Doug.

It does appear to be thermal. It will operate normally for a few minutes on startup and then the problem occurs.

The blooming on red is strictly from the component to vga adapter. The HTPC shows normal. I always create new signal entries.

Although I've had this projector for several years I've never had to do anything to it other than normal cleaning and adjustment. What exactly is the c-drive? I take it that it is located on the board under the one that swings down? I feel confident in my ability to solder in a new one. Do you know where I can get one and approximately how much they run?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I can fix yours if you want. Doug can as well.

Curt

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for your help. I have a new board coming.

Before I swap c drives, a question if you don't mind, along with a little more background detail.

BACKGROUND

About three months ago I switched from DirecTV to cable. The new cable box only had component out so I purchased a cheap component video to VGA converter.

Its red output is very blurry towards the edges of the screen when displaying a grid test pattern recorded from HDNet (1080i cable source). 720P material through the transcoder seems to exhibit the same problem.

>> Shows up more to the left and right of the display than the top or bottom

>> More to the right than the left

>> At the extremes, blurred lines are 3 to 5 times wider than normal

>> It blurs both horizontally and vertically

>> Internal test patterns are normal

I do not have this problem at any resolution when my source is my HTPC.

QUESTION

Could this problem have contributed to the c drive failure? Do you think it will accelerate the death of the new board?

I've had this projector since Jan 04 and have gotten 14,000 hours of very enjoyable use out of it. Whites have a nice rosy tinge in the 4:3 region but I can live with it. Maybe next year on a green tube. I've considered it the best $1000 I've ever spent, I just don't want to get started down the slippery slope of an incremental rebuild.

In the last five years I've read hundreds or thousands of Doug's and Curt's posts. It is a little weird to be one of the other guys in the story.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Teran,

If the internal test parttern is normal then the mechanical should be ok. Hit the 'info' button and note the freq. then switch to the transcoder and see if the freq is the same. If not you will have to enter the signal and make corrections. Check to see if your outputting interlaced 480I to the transcoder first and any temination points that are open. This seems to be just when the transcoder is used so Id suspect that but it could be it needs a signal entry. Doug

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschmit2
so you never switched your PJ off since you got it?

I mean 14,000 hours since Jan 04 is virtually 24-7 operation.
Closer to 8 hours a day, but yeah, I have certainly gotten a lot of use out of it. For about a year and a half it was my main computer monitor and I did a lot of work from home. It was nice being able to do my computer work and have a 27" TV in the corner of the screen. :D

The biggest trick to that was keeping all of the toolbars off the screen or on a secondary monitor.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Baisey
Teran,

If the internal test parttern is normal then the mechanical should be ok. Hit the 'info' button and note the freq. then switch to the transcoder and see if the freq is the same. If not you will have to enter the signal and make corrections. Check to see if your outputting interlaced 480I to the transcoder first and any temination points that are open. This seems to be just when the transcoder is used so Id suspect that but it could be it needs a signal entry. Doug
I'm only running 720P and 1080i through the transcoder. In fact, when I installed it I wiped all settings on the projector and setup from scratch including manual focus. I typically do that once every year and a half when I clean the projector.

I think it is just that the cheap transcoder is a little funky.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to Doug's help my projector is back to normal again. The c-drive is installed and the projector is converged with new entries.

Thanks again, Doug.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.