AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6pg has started acting up after years of faithful service. I was hoping someone would recognize this problem and offer a simple cure. Or at least a place I could start "digging where there's taters".

The picture blacks out from the bottom like the blades of a horizontal focal plane shutter moving up. At the same time I can hear the fan change it's pitch. It originally did it more on warmup but now does it pretty much constantly. I'm assuming it's power supply but I've really done nothing more on the inside of my box than magnet ring adjustments and focussing.

Any ideas from the gurus as to what component might be causing this flicker? The idea of being without the theater for even a short while is terrifying.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Glenn23,

Not sure what your seeing but will take a stab at it, this could be the vertical deflection collapsing or a heat problem in the power supply.

Because you have had no problems and this is starting to come on now, Id do some preventative maint, check all the air vents to make sure they are clean. Open the hood and take a look around the big black heat sync on the deflection board for dust build up. When this happens and the humidity raises it will make the dust conductive.

Use a good canned air to blow the projector out, remove the power first and use a dust mask, turn your fan on auto if you have heat/air conditioner.

Also check the front vent on the power supply, the grill in the hood and the rear vents at the back. If your configuration is ceiling, clean the bottom of the projector off taking note not to get any of this into the fans.

Last hit the "info" button on the remote and watch the freq display to see if this is changing, on the deflection board there is two red leds, when the problem happens check to see if the led on the outside of the deflection board is starting to light up, this is the vertical stop and the one towards the center of the board is the horiz.

You could have a power supply problem also but Id check this first along with a different source. Hope this helps and its just a guess. Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh good Grief! My wife told me "Maybe it's dirty" and I went into a long condescending explanation that electronics are far more complicated than that! Now I have to make up some lame excuse about how I 'm only cleaning all the dust so I can see the highly technical problem that is being masked by the dirt. I'm betting your advice is right on the money Doug because it's solution that will cause me the most embarassment. Dust Bunnies!

thanks

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
While your in there cleaning check that all the fans spin freely. I think a locking up fan can cause problems also, and then again I could be wrong.

Chip S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.