AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find the instructions to remove an NEC 6PG tube. I can't find it on Curt's site. If there is a link can someone point me in the right direction.

I have the set unplugged for days. Will I be in any danger removing this tube?

Thanks

·
Registered
18,501 Posts

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
It's everywhere, it's everywhere..

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I measured the residual HV from the splitter and a tube using a HV probe on my XG, and by the time I got the boot off, the voltage was zero.

Where did the warnings about residual HV come from? CRT monitors?

·
Registered
171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/12961094

I measured the residual HV from the splitter and a tube using a HV probe on my XG, and by the time I got the boot off, the voltage was zero.

Older CRT TV's, these days they have built in discharge circuits to meet certain safety requirements.

It still pays to play it safe though, better careful than crispy (or a cardiac patient).

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just don't wanna die one of those crappy ironic deaths....where what I loved kills me.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W /forum/post/12961094

I took a PG apart last saturday right after a 10 hour test run.

I'm still alive, so it can't be that bad

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
You guys actually take sets apart? You're braver men than me..

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/12966331

You guys actually take sets apart? You're braver men than me..

Well not yet but I'm going to try since I can't seem to give this 6PG away! You posted some great instructions on your site so it's looks pretty easy to me...

We shall see.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
The reason people are freaked out by HV is that the large CRTs do act as a capacitor and hold a charge, even after the set is unplugged. We're talking 20" CRT TVs and larger though. THe CRTs can actually build up a charge even if just sitting on the shelf, I've felt that many times.

It's always a good idea to touch the tip of the HV lead to the chassis on a CRT projector before pulling the tube out, but there's no chance of shock.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/12966594

The reason people are freaked out by HV is that the large CRTs do act as a capacitor and hold a charge, even after the set is unplugged. We're talking 20" CRT TVs and larger though. THe CRTs can actually build up a charge even if just sitting on the shelf, I've felt that many times.

It's always a good idea to touch the tip of the HV lead to the chassis on a CRT projector before pulling the tube out, but there's no chance of shock.

Is that why your fingers always look burned in your guides?
I think your days of being a hand model are numbered.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 /forum/post/12965995

I'm planning to take one apart this weekend. I have red and blue tubes listed for sale here MTyson...hint hint.

That sounds nice, but the one I need the most is green. lol. I noticed now that the glass in front of glass is cracked the burn in disappeared. The burn-in wasn't usually noticeable most of the time during a movie except on large very bright area, but on a bright desktop it was VERY VERY obvious. Now? Not at at all really. So, the burn-in must have been more severe on green.

I guess I could live with this tube if I have to though. It never really bothered me that much. Red is in great shape. Blue is about a 7.5 or 8.

I really regret passing up a mint condition 9PG (new tubes and all of that) awhile back for $850 shipped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts