AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know very little about crt projectors. There are two for sale on *********.au (Australian) the NEC6PG 200hrs use for $5500au and the Sony 1252QM for $1400au 2800hrs use. Both these machines retailed for over $20000au. Can anyone recommend them?

I have become increasingly dissatisfied with mid priced lcd dlp projectors with their poor picture quality and I can't afford a high end lcd dlp projector or a new crt.

I would buy either one of these projectors if they were recommended.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Despite the price, I don't believe that that Xtra has 200 hrs on it. I might be very wrong, but I'm guessing someone reset the counters - it's dead easy to do.

That Xtra is somewhere between $1500 and $2000 overpriced.

The Xtra will spank the mid priced digital offerings, the 1252 won't. $1400 is a reasonable price for a 1252 though - if it's it tip top condition. The only 1252 I can see on fleabay is a gloss black one at $800 - is that it?

Xtra is good for 1280x720p at 75hz through to 1440x816p at 75hz (50hz would be better at 816p) - 720p is an absolute doddle. It'll also do 1920x1080 interlaced really well.

1252 will just get to 720p - better at 660p. It'll also do 1920x1080i - but not as well as the Xtra.

Xtra is brighter, 1000 peak lumens compared to 750 or 800 (I forget exactly) and has higher bandwidth (important).

The Xtra is advanced - a tweaker's delight. 1252 is a good solid entry level projector suitable for a newbie.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING SITE UNSEEN WITHOUT GETTING TUBE PICS.

Where are you exactly, I can, ahem, demo an Xtra or 3 for you if you are in Melbourne :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I can't find the Australian Xtra (item number please) but I wonder if it's the same as the one allegedly in London?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This is also 200 hours and almost certainly a scam. It's actually posted on the French eBay, but at least it's cheaper at Euro 499. :D

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gee whizz, the Nec xtra being a scam has got me worried. How do they pull that one off?. You send them the money they send you nothing.

I think I will stay away from that one.

Actually there are two Sony 1252's on Australian fleabay. One for $800 and one for $1400. This seems overly cheap to me. I don't want to get technical with these things I just want to watch movies.

Can anyone suggest where to buy crt projectors in Australia that need no work and are reliable. I live in Brisbane. Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Luptong

Do you know the setup required for CRT projectors

I ask because you say you don't want to get technical just watch movies

Read the set up guide in the sticky at the top of this forum to get an overview
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=498282

All CRT projectors will require set up once they have been moved

You can pay to have them set up and calibrated if you have the bank account

and do not want to learn as you go

What part of Brisbane are you from North,South or city

·
Registered
552 Posts
I smelt a rat with that PG and I said so on oz-crt forum.

The fact that the seller said he inherited it and only had it a while,Yeah right and you managed to get it on the ceiling in the short time you have had it and now you want to sell it after going through the effort ,BUT it is still hanging up there even though you expect to be shipping it off to the buyer,what a load of BS

The whole scenario seemed implausible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.