Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all

I'm new to the crt crowd. I purchased a BG800 about a month ago but smps is shot and I have no recourse. Price to have it fixed is around $300.00 with shipping. I'm not sure it's worth it because there could be something else wrong with the projector. Live and learn!

Now I have the opportunity to by a Nec multi sync 6pg for $500.00. The pj was built in 1992. I would like to know what to look for this time. The owner doesn't know anything about it except he tried it on his Xbox and it works. I read about checking the tubes with a flashlight but that's about as far as my crt expertise goes.

I have also read that these unit have expensive psu. But if it projects a picture, then I guess this is ok. I plan at looking at the pj tonight. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Don

·
Registered
260 Posts
Take off the lenses to get a REALLY good look at the tubes. Good tubes are important. When looking at the crt tubes, look for even wear on them. Hopeful there will be very little to no burn. I have this same projector and I love it! HDTV on it is wonderful. You also will need the setup remote for it as well. Make sure he has it, if not it'll cost you about 70 bucks on ebay. If the tubes are good and there are no other problems with it, $500 is a pretty good price. Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully the more knowledgeable ones will chime in with additional tips.

Johnny

·
Registered
260 Posts
I must warn you, the NEC projectors have a steep learning curve to them. IF you are up to the challenge, the pq is worth it though. If you decide to get it, read all you can( use the search feature), download the manuals and study them. Patience and persistence will be your allies.

Johnny

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's g-man.

Will take a look at it tonight. Don't know if he'll let me take off the lens tough!

Don

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Don't buy it without seeing the tube faces (not through the lens), and making sure it powers up ok and all 3 tubes light up.

That's like buying an old car without starting it up or looking under the bonnet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.