AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEC Experts....does a 9200 have any issue with tri-level sync??

I have a Scientific Atlanta 3100 HD box and it's going through a ctca2 clone transcoder and the image is less than stellar. If I use sync on green it's probably even worse. The problems seem to be horrendous color in the low end, no detail in the low end...basically the pic is just not very good.

I previously owned an Infocus5700 DLP and that thing was so much better at HD than this CRT that it's not even funny. Sure dvd playback was inferior on the digital but high def was in a different league. I fully expected to see just as good quality high def through the crt, but that's not the case.

Bottom line question, is this a tri-level sync issue? Is there anything I can do to detemine if it is? Would an Extron sync converter get rid of the sync on the R and B channel?

Ben

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Tri-sync is not an issue with rgbhv signals; it is an issue with component signals. The problem is lies with the transcoder you are using. It does not properly handle the tri-sync signal on the component signal fed into it. The solution is to get a new transcoder.

Steve

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wanted to be sure that this was the issue...it's not as clear as I would have liked. In fact Doug B told me that NEC's have no sync issues and I could get any transcoder. This, plus the fact that it doesn't look completely awful make me think that it would be easy for someone who is experiencing the same issue to not even be aware of it.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
It is not the projector which has a synch issue, it is the transcoder. I'm going from what I've read here, but I've seen the exact same crappy picture from my AA transcoder. Apparently it is because the trascoder has to strip the tri-level synch from the component signal and doesn't do a good job of it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steve
Tri-sync is not an issue with rgbhv signals; it is an issue with component signals.
I'm not sure that's correct.

Otherwise, why would Ampro make special "HD" projectors that can handle tri-level sync, when they never had component inputs on those projectors?

- David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.