AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK NEC and Barco fans. I'm looking for opinions and advice. Which projector would you pick, if the condition of the tubes and PJ were the same. A NEC 9200 or Barco 808. Also how much more would you spend to get a 1208s/2 instead of a 808 or 9200.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Hands down to any PG vs. Barco 8xx except the BG808s. Biased I am. The 1208s/2 is a completely different beast. With good tubes, maybe $1 - $2K more. With bad tubes, it would have to depend upon the condition of the alternatives! (Bill is slowly learning this lesson - good tubes are much better than good electronics!)

Later,

Bill

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Awww, hell, now I have to chime in and say "i've never seen a NEC 9200, but own an 808, so the 808 is good". :D

Lots of folks are pretty happy with their 808 machines. But the NECs are supposed to rule them all...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Spend a little bit more and get a 1209 with 9" LC tubes, I did and don't regret it. When your tubes finally need replacing years from now, you can get VDC rebuilds cheap. Or you can probably buy one pretty cheap that needs tubes and send them to VDC for rebuild, that's what I did.

Rod

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do all 1209 come with LC tubes or does it have to have a 1209LC designation? If they don't all have LC tubes can you re-tube a non LC with LC tubes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
All Barco 1209 models are liquid coupled. However according to some Barco literature I have the 1209 did come with three different kinds of lenses. One set was optimized for less than 10' screen width, another for greater than 10' width and a third that were more adjustable and not optimized for a particular screen width but which didn't provide quite the same resolution as the others. I don't know how you would tell the differences between these though....

secstate

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
There is no Barco 1209LC. By "LC" I meant Liquid Coulped tubes. All 1209's have Liquid Coupled (LC) tubes. The LC tubes are supposed to have less light reflection or scatter I believe which gives greater contrast to picture. Of course with 9" tubes you can go to higher resolution also.

Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure Electrohome 9500LC and Barco 1209 use the same 9" MEC (Panasonic) tubes. I'm sure they are quite comparable picture quality wise, but I haven't seen a 9500LC in action. By the way there are two 1209 projectors on e-bay right now, one with only 328 or so claimed hours on it.

Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.