AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to order some spare parts for my GE Imager 901 (Nec 9PG). The idea being that if something fails in the future I will be able to repair the projector quickly and then replace the items in the first aid kit. Based on posts here and my own experiences I have come up with the following :-

NEC 9PG FIRST AID KIT

1 STK392-040 ....................1 used for edge focus on F DRIVE, 2 used for convergence on C DRIVE

3 1.8 ohm 3W resistors .........used as protection when STK392-040 blows on the F DRIVE

1 SC4288A ........................ horizontal output transistor on DEF PWB

1 tube of heatsink paste........used to provide heat dissipation on STK's etc

Any other recommendations ?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
D30 in the powersupply, if you can find a replacement. Nice idea, BTW.

Marc

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian,

You have a PM

cheers

Alan

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Hey no fair pm'ing the info... I want to know too. :)

Troy

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Alan,

DD50R next to the 2SC4288A and as Tinman points out D30.

May keep a eye out for the complete C and F drive and power supply when a parts machine pops up.

Theres also the dreaded system board 'scrambled mess' so try to snag a new or working system board, there no real cure for that other then replace the board and run a designated power circuit to prevent future part failures.

Last a good 'relaxed' set up will save bundles on the drive amps and deflection board failures.

We are tweakers so some parts will fail and almost expected, some times I think we push it just to fix it and feel good for knowing when to say stop.

Its human nature and a great hobby. Doug

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Ah, yes, the damper diode. This list could get long...

In the event of a PG extra, a spare neck board would also be good to have in the kit. I also keep an emergency packet of coffee in my NEC bin.

Doug probably does as well. NEC and a good stiff columbian brew just go together....

Marc

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I figured... Just my way of saying I'm interested too..

In fact, someone should put together a kit and I need three kits right now yesterday.

I'm interested in knowing what things those in the know fix and replace and check before selling a pg or what those same pro's would do to their own pg before using it... As in I always replace the dittlywacker and doohickey and check the thingamavoltage first, those are a must. :)

Troy

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Oh GOD! I have tons of those, and enough soap to last 10 years! LOL

Marc

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Guys great info - keep it coming !

OK, We now know some of what we need but where will we get it and how much will it all cost? All info I have is from UK suppliers as I am based in UK. If someone could add info for other countries and companies please feel free to do so. Some of these parts are getting difficult to source and cost can vary significantly. So far I have discovered the following :-

rswww.com .....................3W 1.8 ohm resistors pack of 10 £2.08 stock no 214-2392
rswww.com .....................Heat transfer paste 20 ML £7.79 stock no 217-3835
www.grandata.co.uk .........STK 392-040 £12.00 part no STK392-040
www.elclondon.co.uk .........2SC4288A £8.50 part no 2SC4288A
www.bhdist.co.uk .............DD50R £7.20 part no 36107687-
www.magnatec-uk.co.uk ....ERC20M-08 (waiting for details of cost)

All prices exclude VAT (17.5%) and delivery.

D30 in power supply ERC20M-08 appears to be a tricky one to get and £7.20 for DD50R seems a bit excessive. Any other sources ?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Why not buy a parts machine ? Like for instance the one I have for sale in the videogon listings ? (shameless plug but still sound advice)You can pull the parts you'll never need, like the point board and lenses and service remote that comes with it, and sell them to reduce your cost. With some luck at those sales, your cost for the remainder of the parts machine would only be around $100. Which gets you a working C and F Drive, System board, neck boards, power supply, etc., etc., Or, put it in the bedroom, or double stack them ??

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Alan,

Try Electronic Parts Center or Nationwide Electronics Inc. (NEI) both have online catalogs.

Pauls right on the parts machines, its a comfort knowing you have a spare everything and very little down time if you have one to 'pick a part' from.

Projectors have a way of going down when you need it most. Doug

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
One parts machine is a comfort.... 6 become a problem..... :D

Marc

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Baisey
Yes I know, I havent parked my car in the garage for months.
A CAR!? I KNEW A GARAGE WAS DESIGNED FOR SOMETHING ORIGINALLY!

Who knew?

:D

Regards,

Ira

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Vic,

Sorry you are too far away to make a spare chassis cost effective.

By way of an update :-

I am not entirely happy with using the 1.8 ohm resistors from RS and I will be replacing mine with the genuine article from BHdistribution (very few left at NEC £1.50 each, once these are gone NEC will no longer supply them). Unfortunately the DD50R is no longer available and NEC will not supply an ERC20M-08 unless its soldered into a complete power supply board (ouch!). Magantec have a minimum order quantity of 100 so thats not ideal either.

So does anyone know of a suitable alternative to :-

ERC20M-08 diode

DD50R diode

and a source for 1.8 ohm 3w resistors that will act as a fuse and not glow like an electric fire in the event of an STK392-040 problem.

thanks again

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.