AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i first power up my 9PG the horizontal amplitude is reduced by about half a foot either side of my 90" wide screen.

After only 1 minute it suddenly pops into place. No big problem at the moment but it has just started doing this so i can feel that something is about to fail.

Vertical amplitude is fine.. only has the problem in the horizontal.

Suggestions on where i should start looking would be great.

·
Registered
449 Posts
hi, cookie

your problem may be on DEF board(PWC-3709A),because the horizontal yok is controlled by this circuit board,you can check on this PCB board if anything wrong or hot not as usual be,espically check the capacitor on this board.

good luck!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. This is the board i suspected as well.

Seems as though when the board heats up all comes good. Must be a bad joint or faulty capacitor somewhere.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Interesting.... I have the exact same problem. Only it is less extreme and happens only on a HI-Def source. (DTC-100) It POPS in after a few minutes. On a different setting (DVD or other) it works as it should.

Hmmmmmmmm.........

Marc

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine does it on all sources but pops in after only 45 seconds to a minute.

No error codes either.

I hate it when you can see your equipment on the verge of potential failure. I better start sourcing some spare parts just in case.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Another mystery. But it may not be the deflection board. It can also be the digital board that actually sets the software amplitudes. Gee.. Now I HAVE to look into this further.

Marc

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tinman,

Which is the digital board you refer to? Where abouts is it in the projector? If i have the Def board out to check it.. then i may as well check this board that you refer to as well.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I will have to trace it in the manual. The computer goes into another board that does all the analog stuff. I think it's the wave board... Let me look into it a bit first. I have to solve this problem anyway. In the schematics there is a horizontal width input on the DEF board, and it is fed by the wave board... hmm... I have some spares, I may try some substitutions and see if it IS the DEF board. Will let you know. You may hold off for a few days.

Marc

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Hi Guys,

On the later PG series shut off auto data store in the settings menu, it interferes with the multi sync, on the early ones it sounds to me like a lot of memory was used and it takes awhile for it to grab the memory or the entry isnt quite right, move the entry up in the list and see if it locks faster. Or make sure you have the signal stored. If you running composite sync it might take longer. Set sync detect to auto. Just some things to look at. Doug

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug, i definitely think it is a component fault somewhere. Last week as soon as the projector was turned on it sync'd to my HTPC and all amplitudes were fine.

Just 2 days ago it started with the problem. Reduced horizontal amplitude for about a minute and then it pops into place.

I haven't touched any memory settings or anything between last week and 2 days ago.

You can actually see the picture slowly wobble and then it slowly pushes out the horizontal amplitude.

I checked out my Def board. All joints like fine. Can't see any problems. I gave it a good tapping as well while the projector was starting up but it didn't seem to help. So im leaning towards another board somewhere.

Tinman... let me know how you go with your investigations. I have no spares of any sort, so if you could narrow the possibilities of what the fault might be that would be great.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Will be working on it this weekend. Doug, I have also not touched anything. This just started to happen. Once it pops in, it's solid.

Marc

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I have good deflection boards if you guys want to try one.

Curt

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Update.. It seems that my Horizontal starts out WIDER, and then pops into it's proper size after a few minutes. I am going to swap out the wave board and see if it makes any difference. If not, it must be the DEF board.

Curt, thank you for the offer.

Marc

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tinman, i eagerly await your findings.

Thanks for that Curt.. have some deflections boards and wave boards ready to ship.. just in case. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any developements on this? Tinman?

I have a friend with a 6PG+. Im going to borrow his deflection board and see if that solves my problem. Could be a couple of weeks until i get around to it though.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Cookie, I think your culprit could be the STK392-040 IC's on the C-Drive board that stands up between the crt's. I have a 6PG that I converged no problem, then the blue convergence popped out and wouldn't respond to the Hor adjustments in convergence. It would move in Alignment, but not convergence. I swapped out the c-drive board with another from another PG and it works fine now. I don't think the boards are interchangeable between the PG and PG plus. I put the Def board from a PG Plus in to try and it didn't work properly. it worked enough for me to know it wasnt' the cause of my lack of hor. blue convergence, but was obviously not interacting with the rest of the machine properly. I'll try the PG Plus c-drive board in my PG and let you know if they are interchangeable.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It's not the C-drive. Not with global horizontal amplitude. I have been through the manual on this. Of course... last weekend it worked flawlessly. I have some time to work on this again this weekend, will keep you posted. BTW, I do not use auto store... also have only 2 entries. I may just try the memory theory though.

Marc

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also only use two memories and don't use the auto-store. I haven't touched anything between when the horizontal amplitude was fine and when the problem developed.

I rechecked my deflection board and cannot see any problems with it. Im now leaning towards a wave board problem. Are these interchangeable between the PG and the PG+?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Update: It just figures. I ran the darn thing this weekend, watched the last episode of the X files in Hi-DEF. The projector of course, worked flawlessly. Made no difference what board I tried, except the DEF board. I did not change that. So now I don't know. I have to catch it acting up again. I almost wonder if it just needed a re-seat of the cards. This has given me trouble before. Wish I could help, but at this point no answers.

Marc

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, thanx for the update Marc.

If any new information comes before me i'll be sure to post it here. Mine still has the same problem and it seems to be slowly getting worse. Takes a couple more seconds each time i start it up to snap into position.

The fuse is burning..... i hope a solution presents itself soon.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.