AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about mods, and some things I can do to reduce the noise, and increase the cooling. But I was wondering what else people are doing to these things. What is a good heatsink to use for the bottom? Also, how hard is it to get at the bottom fans? What are good fans for the Deflection board? and how are people powering them?

Also does anyone know of decent plans for a coffee table hush box?

I am almost done with my initial dial in.. I think the angle I currenly have the PJ at, is too extreme, causing some wicked keystoning to be needed (about -95%). Granted currently the front is propped on an old computer case, and the rear is on two equally tall boxes of books. I probably should tako some pictures and get in the running for most over eager pj setup.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You may want to do a search on " hush box ".

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I've typed out lots on the simple mods I do to my PG's lately - try searching, I don't want to type it all out again... :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
yOU REALLY REALLY DON'T WANT TO RUN YOUR KEYSTONE THAT HIGH

Oops I am yelling again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didnt figure I did. I am going to lower the screen another inch or two, and level the PJ out more, to reduce it. what is acceptable? So far ive only put about 28 hours on the unit, and most of that was setup and picmute time. (only watched 10 hours of movies, always with contrast at 50 or below).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best ive been able to get my keystoning is about -86%.. I dont see a way to get the picture high enough, while leveling out the projector. how are other people dealing with this projector in a floor mount setup?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have mine sitting on a 20" high table in front of the rear couch, which puts the picture at a good height off the floor but also requires that only tall people sit on the couch so that they can see over the PG :D I suppose that if the pj was on the floor you could use the vertical position settting to move the image upward but I'm not sure how far you could realistically go before the corners of the image got chopped off by the tube edges.

Is your focus not terrible with the projector sitting at such an angle? Another option if you have a deep room is to put the PG behind the couch at an 11° angle but that tends to yield a giant screen if the raster is maximized.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
A PG really needs to go on the ceiling, sorry. They have a low throw angle.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Yeah, put it on the ceiling and you'll never look back.

Mark, I'm planning on locking my daughter in the equipment room from her 11th birthday till she is say...30.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, it was impossible to focus, til I got the new correct(adjustable) lens mounts. Its gonna have to stay as it is till I move some place where I can ceiling mount it.. the picture is great, but im worried about over driving the components, and putting a nasty wear pattern on the crt face.. And right now its looking like by the time im ready to move, ill also be ready to upgrade. So, whats a good step up from a 9PG+(minty tubes and it was only $850) ? Granted I love the beast, and the configuration was easy as well. (dont get all the NEC bashing).

I didnt realize that the NEC's were bad for floor mount.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
imho a good step up from the PG+ would have to be an XGLC.

The PG+ properly dialed in is not much worse (albeit a little dimmer) than a PG Xtra. And the PG Xtra is pretty much on par with the XG non-LC.

·
Registered
154 Posts
wardour - you mentioned "new correct(adjustable) lens mount."

What do you mean by this. I have a 9PGX that I just got a few weeks back and focus

has been difficult for me as well. The pic is really good, but I feel its still shy of what it

can be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.