AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a used 9PG projector that is working (locally) and want to make sure that I will be able to use it... Mainly it will be used for DVD but how does it take them in(i didnt see any s-video/component inputs)... Also is it good enough to take in HDTv signals or si the frequency too low. Also what is the best suited screen size for this projector. Any answers quickly would be helpful because the guy wants to know by tomorrow afternoon...

· Registered
3,522 Posts
In very succinct terms....

Plan to feed it with either a scaler or home theater PC. A lesser video processor won't give you the full use of the machine's resolution.

It can do HDTV, but you must have an HDTV tuner which can be set to output RGBHV instead of component video. Otherwise you will also need a transcoder to convert component to RGBHV. The machine can handle 1080i HDTV frequencies.

Aim for a screen width from 75 to 85 inches in width (I didn't say diagonal). The shape (aspect ratio) of your screen will probably have to be 16:9 if the current user was using a wide screen rather than a 4:3 shaped screen. In either case, the width range I mention above should be within the comfortable light output range of the machine.

Be sure to inspect the machine for any evidence of burns or wear on the phosphors. As to see a full white image and look carefull for areas which have things burned in from prior usage. Also turn off the projector and look directly into the lenses using a flashlight. Look at the phosphor surfaces of especially the green and red guns and see if there is discoloration of the phosphor in the used areas. Some slight darkness is probably normal, but if you see browning or strong darkening of the phoshor surfaces, be wary of the tube conditions. You could find yourself needing to pay an unplanned $1500 to $2000 extra for retubing if the tubes are burned and you aren't able to discern that as a newbie.

Most important of all, unless this machine is in great condition, is a screamingly good deal, or the seller is a good personal friend, DO NOT RUSH INTO ANYTHING. It is much easier to get burned as a newbie than to find a good deal as a newbie on your own. There WILL be other projectors and there are some very reputable sources here at this forum for machines. That includes the host of this forum AV Science.

· Registered
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I think this is a good deal because he wants 250 for it and I looked at the tubes and couldnt see any discoloration you mentioned but i didnt use the flashlight, is there somehting in the service menus that would have a white picture that I could use because he has unhooked the projector from his theater so he can use the menu but thats about it.... Im going to see it again tomorrow before I purchase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.