AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just spent the better part of six hours farting around trying to setup and converge this beast. The focus on these are great. I was dissapointed with the color (all colors seem over saturated). I also think the contrast is off. I think my ECP 3101 is putting out a brighter picture. I can't seem to raise the contrast high enough to cause blooming Does anyone have a suggestion what to do about the output, perhaps I'm missing something?

Chip S.:confused:

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
stefuel,

If your running rgb try video and see what it does, the PG9100 is plenty bright. If you just bought this let them know your having a problem before you do anything, did you try Avia to see where you are on it? What source are you using? Doug

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Chip, Chip, Chip, the operative word appears to be 'farting around'.

Perhaps the methane has gotten to your head...;-)

The PG should smoke the ECP for picture. It may not seem any brighter, but the fleshtones should be more stunning.

(Here we've been pumping up the virtues of the NEC PG series for months to bring the prices up, and we get a post like this..;-) )

Curt

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Your PG could have very tired tubes or have the base controls set way below normal for some reason. I've owned many PG's and an ECP 4100 with very good tubes. All the PG's I've had have looked way brighter than the ECP. If the projector isn't set up properly, you can make it look worse than a Sony 1020. Thats the other side of having a huge range of capabilities, they can look like really crappy machines or really good ones.

*Any PG's I've ever had have the global horizontal width set very conservatively, so quite a bit of phosphor is wasted. Maybe this contributes to less light output, and in your case, maybe you're only using a tiny amount of the phosphor available?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running it off RGB. The PJ has some static burn on the green tube, which I was aware of. It was used as a computer display as I can see Windows Works logo on the green tube and ever so faint on the blue tube. If I did not now it was on the green, I would have missed it (should save this one for the Bill Gates post). The PJ has 5,000 hours on the tubes. There are no 4:3 or 16:9 burn patterns just the static text. I bought it cheap enough to justify a re-tube as long as nothing else is wrong with it. I'm going to give the convergance another try later today. I want to go back and start from scratch. Last night as a last resort I used point to finish up. How do I zero out the point that I used (I know I used way to much)? Boy do I miss the guided conv in a E-Home. Thanks,

Chip S.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Hit the 'cancel' or 'normal' button on the remote. It will ask you if you want to cancel all convergence settings for the color that you have selected. Do that for all convergence parameters and also the point convergence.

Also try going into the white balance. Sometimes it glitches, and one press of the white balance button resets the CRt gains back to what they should be.

Curt

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The effects of the methane have worn off. The second time took about 1.5 hrs and the result was much better. Still don't know how to get rid of any residual point adjustments. I did not use it this time. Are there any pots for global raster size rather than useing the amplitude set on G. Thanks,

Chip S.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The way Curt has discribed it, resetting the point convergence sounds just like an XG series...

First get into the point adjustment for the tube you wish to reset back to default. Once you are at a point where you "could" adjust point simply press the "Normal" button on the remote...it will ask if you are sure you want to mormalize...press "Enter" (yes)

Then switch to the other color and do the same.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Do NOT mess with the pots to increase the horizontal size. Use the remote adjustments only. More than a few have blown their horizontal outputs by messing with that pot :)

The PG has a learning curve. Once you master it, you will be amazed by what that machine can do. It's all in the adjustments.

Marc

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I ask is because I'm in the low 90"s for width now. What is OK for this adjustment? I saw an earlier post for maximizing phosphor area that showed a picture. Curt said the picture he saw was OK so I tried to match it. To do it required pushing the amplitude to the ends of their adjustments.

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Chip,

Just out of curiosity what screen size are you using and what is your throw distance?

--Jerome

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerome

I followed the manuals instructions. I have only a 72 inch diagonal screen. The manual lists a 70 inch with the "A" measurment of 85.51 inches My "A" measurment is 86 inches and the horizontal amp is at 89%. The Kids are watching a wide screen movie now so I can't tell you the vert amp cause I don't want to disturb them But I think it was in the mid 80's. Thanks,

Chip S.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I go to white balance the PJ brightens up for about 1 second than goes back the way it was. When I check the settings they are all at 50% each for R,G and B. Thanks,

Chip S.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you using a htpc with powerstrip? If porch is not set wide enough you will have to compensate with amplitude and image size(position) to fit image on screen properly. With the color it sounds like your white balance needs to be adjusted , which will fix that dull dim picture.

Regards,

JASON

·
Registered
490 Posts
Chip,

Quote:
I saw an earlier post for maximizing phosphor area that showed a picture. Curt said the picture he saw was OK so I tried to match it. To do it required pushing the amplitude to the ends of their adjustments.
To get the increase in width that I discussed I had to very carefully adjust the Horizontal Width pot on the Deflection PWB. Before I turned the pot I set the width to about 85 via the remote control for the signal I was going to use. I then slowly adjusted the pot until the image width was as wide as the actual screen. This gives me a little latitude for adjustment. I can't be sure this is the recommended method but the magic smoke hasn't escaped from my 6PG Xtra yet :)

Cheers!

Russ

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I double checked the height adjustment this morning and it was 70%

Chip S.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone have a 5,000 hr PG Plus that could give me their current white balance levels for an experiment. I think mine somehow got reset to factory defaults, all at 50% (I didn't do it). Thanks,

Chip S.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
A WARNING!

If you reset the H width adjustment the way Russ did you may be asking for trouble.

Without a specific points to measure H width voltages you have no clue what voltages you are sending to the H width control logic.

With the XG series pj's you have 4.5 vdc +/-.05 vdc on the #1 leg of the IC 5306, and 7.5 vdc at TP5302 (+/-,1 vdc) with H width set to 100%.

These were for the XG series pj's, but the point is, without spec's like this how do you know your not overdriving the Horizonal amplification?

Be smart, find out the spec's on how to check/ adjust this and do it right.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Kenny,

I concur 100% with your warning !! What I did was not something I would advocate others do, but in the absense of a service manual ( NEC are very reluctant to make these available to non authorised service centres ) I needed to try something to get extra width. Does anyone know where I can obtain one of these manuals? Fortunately I didn't need to adjust the H.Width pot much to get the result needed and I was very mindful of what happens if you go too far. Once I have managed to buy the service manual for the 6PGXtra I will be able to recheck all voltages.

Given that a lot of these 6 & 9 PG's are coming into play, and that it seems there are a number of these that are not making full use of the phosphor area, would someone with access to the service manual be willing to document the steps needed to ensure the horizontal and height voltages are correctly set? Those of us with multimeters and cro's would then be more comfortable in knowing the manufacturers adjustments haven't been exceeded.

Cheers!

Russ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.