AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i've lurked for 2 days and i'm taking the plunge. i'm a newbie to pj's but i'm gonna give it a go. i rescued a 9pg from the trash. it seems to work but there's no video card. i'm driving it computer vga to rgb. the two questions i have now are, 1 - the lenses have filters, red on the red, green on the green, missing on the blue. is that a trick for a weak blue gun or did someone rob a part? do i really need filters on the lenses and, if so, does anyone know where i can get a blue one? 2 - what are the ramifications of not having a video card. i guess i'll rig up a computer with a tv card and a dvd player. i bought an extron 109 plus on ebay for a boost.

thanks

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
There is no blue filter on the PJ. You don't need the video card. This would give you the worst picture the projector can display. You SHOULD drive it with a line doubler or a PC. That will allow you to take full advantage of what this unit can do. You NEED the setup remote for it, or a pronto with the nec file loaded to set this unit up. You may want to download the manual and read it a few times as well. This projector has a learning curve, but can display absolutely stunning images.

Marc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you tinman for the quick response. i managed to rescue two remotes, one of which is a setup remote but there is a port for what appears to be a cable remote. i don't have that. the manual i downloaded from nec seems to cover a lot but i've read on this forum that it's incomplete and that there is a 200-400 page manual somewhere and a board technician manual or something like that. is that true? and if you don't mind humoring someone who's clueless, why don't you need a blue filter?

thanks again,

michael_monette

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I suppose the phosphor on the blue tube does not require any correction, thus no filter. The port for the remote.... you can cable the setup remote using a stereo miniplug cable. The other remote connector, a 9pin, I believe is not used. You only need the setup remote and some fresh AA's.

The PG6/9000 manual is becomming a scanning project amongst a few people here. I am offering to scan and e-mail any particular pages to people, as I have very little time to do the whole manual, but it is in the works.

Marc

·
Registered
359 Posts
Michael;

the 9pg typically has two remotes (your lucky you to have them), the set-up remote does indeed have a mini jack on the front if you wish to use it in the "wired mode", but it is not needed - if you do use it with the wire (you can pick up a male-to-male mini headphone cable at radio shack for $5 that works just fine, and remember to take the batteries out). The user remote (the smaller one) duplicates the most used functions on the bigger remote. This is the one you'll use on a daily basis AFTER you have everything set-up.

as for the filters - my 9pg does not have any filters on it... all the lenses are clear.

do not subject this projector to a standard video signal - use an appropriate resolution from your computer - 1280x720 at 72Hz or 48Hz works well. as for the DVD player ...there is numerous discussions as to which is the best - but they all work pretty well - Power DVD seams to work for me. (I've also tried Win DVD and couple others).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
That's odd.... every PG I have seen has red and green color corrected lenses. My 4 units included..

Marc

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The color corrected lenses are part of the magic that gives the NEC great flesh tones. Mine has them also.

Chip S.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Some of them did not have the color corrected lenses.

Also the reason that the blue does not use a filter is due to the low light output form the blue tube as it is the darkest color. Any filtering would lower the light output even more and shorten the life of the blue tube.

Curt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks to all for the info. i've been digilantly reading the past forum discussions dealing with the nec and did see where someone posted a web site where you can get copies of manuals, even tech manuals - http://freebrd.com/manuals.html

i don't know how to make an address into a link so squeeze me, as jar-jar would say. any feedback on that site?

mike

·
Registered
567 Posts
Mike, that link you posted is where i got my service manual for the 9PG.

Paypal'd him $US10 and he sent me a web address where the manual would reside for a limited time. I then downloaded it.

Was worth the money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cookie

that's odd. i just got an e-mail from him saying he didn't have the 9pg service manual, only the 9pg plus. is that what you got?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry, i was just being lazy typing. Yes i got the 6100/9100 manual which is the plus. Even though i have 9PG (9000) most of the manual still applies and i would be lost without it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.