AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 6pg and read this whole document a few times. I plan to start from scratch and follow through till the end regardless of how many pots of coffee or days it will take me...seems so worth it afterall.

Last night I opened the machine and just wanted to play around with the controls a bit to get an overview. Well, I played with the all 4 astigmatism magnet rings/tabs on all 3 guns as well as the centering magnets of each gun. I figured what would be the big deal since i'm going to be mechanically setting it up from scratch?

Well the picture is now so out of focus that it's crazy and again I didn't think that was a big deal until I read Guy Kuo's holly focus document. In it he considers the astigmatism magnets(he calls them CPC magnets and so does the NEC setup manual...same?) to be for advanced technicians and playing with them will "render focus impossible"

Did I just destroy any chance of setting this thing up properly by touching these last night?

Please Help!

Thanks very much.

Walter

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Important rule #1, don't mess with things you don't understand... that is how big problems start. This is a very complicated instrument your playing with. If a proper setup was done before you bought the pj, it's quite possible you wouldn't have had to adjust them...it's water under the bridge now.

You can get the CPC magnets adjusted again, it's a matter of increasing the contrast, to make the dots larger and easier to see. Then over and underfocusing to adjust dot shape and flair. All this should be covered in Guy's post.

The key here is not to get in a hurry, CPC magnet adjustment can take a couple hours per gun. Take your time , be aware of where your fingers are at all times.(I use a flashlight to watch my hands go up in place, then shut it off)

Good Luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Sorry...above should read that I read the Mechanical Setup Procedure for NEC PG Projector series that Tinman and Feathers put together.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kenny and you aren't kidding about how complex this unit is. So you are saying that I couldn't have done any irreputable damage to it....I also reversed a few of the tabs as opposed to one another. Let me see a better way to describe this is let's say a clock shows the time as 10 minutes past 12 and I move the minute hand counterclockwise until it reads 10 minutes to 12...well I did exactly that....I feel so stupid for all of this.

It did need a mechanical setup by the way though since the guy I bought it from was never able to set it up due to difficulty with NEC's in general...I know he moved some controls around inside attempting to get it right...just not sure if he touched the astigmatism like I did.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Don't worry. You haven't stuffed anything. You most likely will have needed to adjust the astig magnets anyway to get the most out of your projector.

And as you have learnt... they astig is very important in getting sharp focus.

Follow the procedures outlined in this forum and you will love your NEC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.