Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmer
Anyone know if there is web page to identify NEC authorized dealers?
No help regarding dealers, but keep in mind NEC treats NEC owners very well regardless of the source of their equipment.

NEC takes a different approach than some manufactures, by targeting the improper dealers, rather than penalizing owner who have purchased from a less than stellar source.

I may be wrong, and NEC has changed this policy, but this is the policy the last I spoke with a NEC support manager.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have the same question. I'm looking to possibly pick up an HT1100 with the $200 rebate. The rebate only applies if purchased from an NEC authorized dealer. Who's authorized is the $64k question.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Check the AVS Forum Alliance Members.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made the mistake of buying an NEC HT projector 18 months ago. When the lamp went out after 6 months I tried to get a replacement. 6 months later I finally got a lamp. 3 months later the color wheel disintegrated. I have been waiting 6 months for a color wheel with no delivery in sight. I had to go buy another projector (Not NEC) to replace the HT. HT is a great projector when it works which is about half the time due to NEC's miserable support system.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarisR
I made the mistake of buying an NEC HT projector 18 months ago. When the lamp went out after 6 months I tried to get a replacement. 6 months later I finally got a lamp. 3 months later the color wheel disintegrated. I have been waiting 6 months for a color wheel with no delivery in sight. I had to go buy another projector (Not NEC) to replace the HT. HT is a great projector when it works which is about half the time due to NEC's miserable support system.

There will always be failures. I myself have been very happy with my pj's. First a Viewsonic, then multiple Davis', and finally a NEC. My bulbs on all three manufacturer pj's have lasted their full spec rating (3000-6000 hrs) and are now saved for future use as spares. I have had some problems mostly user induced that required warranty work (Viewsonic and NEC). The best advice was given by krasmuzik here. read his last paragraph. There will be failures. The best policy is to be prepared for the eventuality. First always purchase from authorized dealers. second depending on your expected ownership span purchase an extended warranty if offered. Third purchase a spare bulb and install it as soon as the warranty of the original bulb expires(usually 90 days). Keep the original bulb as a spare. Clean the filters often. My NEC has no filters as the block is sealed but it has exhaust panels that get dirty. Lastly if your pj has the option run your fans at their highest setting all the time. My earlier pj's didn't have this option but most recent pj's do. Build a proper hushbox if the noise bothers you.

As for the 6 month wait for the bulb; one needs to realize that that particular bulb is a cross platform bulb that is used in about 5 or 6 different NEC pj's. The bulb manufacturer makes a set run then as fiscal year ends they may stop production until next quarter when they ramp up production again. Hypothetically

, there may be issues with a particular run where quality is affected and then there is a run on bulbs across the platform. If this happens at the wrong time as production falters ? That is why one should be prepared.

Remember these are really disposable products. With proper planning and care they dont have to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.