AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using Tinmans and Feathers excellent NEC mechanical setup guide, I sucessfully reinstalled my 6PGextra until hitting these problems:

Blue focus:

What is wrong with blue tube focus ? I managed to adjust the astig rings so that there is no movement of the crosshair test pattern when adjusting focus the whole range of the focus pot. The dots of the coarse dot pattern are nice and round, and the brighter core is centered within the flare.

Even so, there is still some flare of the dots even when the blue tube is focused properly. I have got the lines of the crosshair on screen only maybe four millimeters thick, but a flare is till present. When displaying a Windows desktop, it appears as in a thick fog.

I can adjust the direction of the flare by moving the astig rings, but not eliminate flare even with the tube focused. I have read about so called fungus on other threads, but checking the blue tubeface it looked just like the green and red; no trace of anything.

All rasters and images are nicely centered, astig is set so that testpatterns do not move when adjusting focus.

Red black level:

Using the black bar pattern of the AVIA DVD, the moving black bars are just NOT visible on the red tube. I turned black level up to 95 %, still nothing visible !! With the green tube, the moving bars are visible at 57%, for the blue 55% black level. A white window can be seen at 20 IRE with green and blue tubes, it takes 40 IRE for the red. Overall brightness and contrast are set to 50/75. When contrast is reduced to 0 and brightness turned up to make rasters visible, the red tube is the last to "turn on" it's raster, at brightness about 80-90%.

On the other hand, the focus of the red tube is perfect. What is wrong ?

Thankful for all help,

Thomas

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Put the brightness at 60 and contrast at 75 and store those values. THEN flip the test switch on the video out board. It's a tiny switch on the side by the red tube, on the board with all the pots on it.

IF the brightness comes up, the reference white balance is messed up. Most likely.

Do you have a manual for the extra? You'll need it to find the right pot to "just" turn up the red a hair.

Marc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.