AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 9pg+ about a week ago, I have a g10 dila(dig). Tonight I have a local ISF tech come over with equipment. He sits down and goes to work on the 9pg+ 45 minutes later he says he gives up and he wont charge me anything. We spend the next 1/2 hour watching dvd's on the G10, he seems very impressed by the g10. Screw the G10 I say. I want to watch the pg! He focused the r,g and b tubes with no problem focus was very tight in my opinion deffinately comparible to the g10 it was the convergance that killed him. first he was on the crosshair pattern and said "no matter what i press i cant get it to move" then he was in the point pattern and things were definately moving but after about five minutes he said "you need Terry Dolittle(Local ISF CRT GURU) to spend about a day on this thing"(Not what i wanted to hear since that would cost about as much as the pj itself). The kid I bought the 9pg+ from said he could converge in about 20 minutes. He didnt seem to be all that bright when i met him. Can some one tell me I dont need to shell out big bucks to get this thing working. Even though it wasnt converged i saw the black ! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hahahahahahaaaa!!! WUSS! :D

ISF..... yeah right....

I don't mean to laugh, but that's funny with an ISF guy. Hehehe.... at least I don't have to feel bad about my own rates.

You DON'T need to shell out big bucks. Get the manual.... read it. It's not THAT hard to do. But turn the point board off before you start.

The 9pg+ converges real tight without any point adjust at all.

Marc

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the manual. I will read. One more stupid question if i may. Can i do convergance without a scource? It would be easier to learn this way as i dont have a pc in the same room as the pj at the moment. Thanks again. Do i disable the point board by remote or do i disconect something under the hood?

·
Registered
345 Posts
No you need to set it up using to resolution you plan to use! You can disable the point convergence in the Options menu!

There is a set up instructions on this CRT board that a few members put together for the PG9. I tried it but some of it went right over my head!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=246947

Wes

·
Registered
50 Posts
you don't have to set it up with the resolution you are going to use,however it saves some time and steps since it gets done once.i prefer to use a standard ntsc input from a dvd to do the initial setup,once thats done it gets saved in a high memory slot as a default for svid or composite depending on what is used than do a copy for the other resolutions and touch up as needed since square is square, that way if a mistake gets made its an easy fix as opposed to an all day affair again.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Is this "ISF guy" familiar with NEC CRT projectors to begin with?? If he had never worked on one before, then no surprise that he didn't know what to do and couldn't get anything to work.

The words "ISF" after someone's name are much less important then actual hands-on projector experience with the unit in question.

Kal

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
madclammer,

where are you located?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He had never seen an nec before. He was very nice and i will use him again. I read the manual and in about 5 minutes I had static convergence and good center focus I proceded to watch the matrix reloaded trailer and I COULD NOT BELEIVE how good it looked !!!!!!! I couldnt be happier with this projector, for about 1/2 of what i paid for the g10 I have something easily 2x as good. I only wish it were smaller. I am still far from a perfect result but i have tasted enough to keep me going with great enthusiasum. Thanks for all the help. I am glad i found this forum(crt) !

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Where are you located. If your in the area of Jimmy Doolittle your also in the area of forum member KevD. He is a pro, He knows that projector like the back of his hand, can do anything that a ISF'er can do and a whole lot more. He comes with all the latest equipment. You will have to pay him for his time but it's well worth it. He is in R.I. and will travel. Done correctly will take about 6 or 7 hours. Afterwhich your jaw will drop at the results.

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Glad to see you are getting the hang of it. Yes, in the right hands, that NEC can really shine.

Marc

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey TINMAN,

I was reading your "Welcome to the dark side..." and it made me laugh. The guy WCP (Wes) who posted above lives a few blocks from me.

He has gone to the dark side, he even wears a Darth Vadar mask when he works on his pj. Yes thats right.....he converged his PG9+ via the point convergence board.

I think you need to harrass him. heheheheheheheheheehe

Lukkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! NOT the dreaded POINT BOARD!!!

WES!!!! NO! BAD!

Turn the point board off and converge the projector. Then ONLY use the point for SMALL touch ups. I'll have to use the farce on you....

Marc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.