Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day Folks

Just a few questions regarding a 6PG+.

It seems that several nights ago when the family was watching a DVD ( I was not home ), the red tube devleoped several large cracks in the glass. It is also loosing coolant.

I noticed this when I got back because I saw a halo effect on the screen.

No one heard any sounds or saw anything unusual and the PJ is still working.

I have checked the position of the picture and it is centered and not close to any edge.

Is this just a tube flaw or is something amiss? The tubes have 2500hrs on them and the green and blue tubes are still fine.

Do I need a new ( replacement )tube or can the red one be repaired, just new glass maybe.

How do I actually remove the tube, it seems to be nested under a PCB etc.

I hope I haven't left anything out.

cheers

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
Sounds like it is 'one of those things'...

I would guess that the phosphor has been damaged, so a tube replacement is required. THe tube pulls out the front. The top plate that covers the tube abnd lens assembly has to be taken off first.

Note that this is not a job for beginners. THe good news is that NEC tubes are cheaper where you are than where I am..:)

Curt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a sidenote:

The phosphor is still alright as I couldn't see any deterioration in the picture quality even with some liquid missing. The only major effect was the halo coming from the cracks themselves.

Of course the PJ will not be operating until a replacement tube is installed anyway.

cheers

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
No, see, explain to the wife and kids that the projector is not a toy, and if you were home to 'operate' the projector, this would not have happened.

Then confiscate their allowance for life to pay for the tube..:)

Curt

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Statikk,

If you still run it, it will go into a HV failure or FD error, save yourself some money and swap the tube out, its a throw away. I might have a used one around thats good, but Curts right, they are alot cheaper over there. Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.