AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find information on fan mods for an NEC PG9100. Is there such a thing for this projector?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There is the Chuck Williams fan mod that starts the fans at normal voltage, then a timer reduces the voltage to about half. Here is a pdf.

I installed it on my XG but later found that I actually needed to INCREASE fan flow to prevent convergence drift. I now have a couple of extra heatsinks thermal-pasted to the top (ceiling mounted) of the case. Eventually I want to supplement the flow with a remote fan and then try enabling the fan mod again. It seems best to keep the temperature on the C board heatsink at 110 deg F or below.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hey,

you want to modify TINMAN?

Roland

P.S.:

Just a joke, look at his member status...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
;) I'm not saying that it shouldn't be tried, but wanted to share the experience on the heat situation. This may be unique to my pj but on the other hand, others on the forum warned me about this and that's when I made more critical note of the drift issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes I got my 10PG real quiet! But thats some work, but......now it is quiet and cool!!!

1. First I changed the 3 big fans to PAPST.

2. Run them on only 6 VDC.

3. Simulate the yellow sensor cable, I first put in a 180 ohm resistor, but will have to be improved with a transistor so the "fan stopp" will work if needed!

4. Pull out the complete power supply and mount it in the next room!

see picture

5. Extra fan mounted on heat sink DEF board!

6. I ran my fans with only 6 VDC!!! Not to run the pj hot, I installed a vacuum on top of the machine, the waste air runs outside through a big tube. I isolate this flexible tube against noise, the fan is monted on the end of the tube!

This fan has a voltage regulator, so you (my wife) can't here it!

You have to make everything very airtight! I did it with special tape!

With this vacuum I got a air conditioner for free, and this works now for days, and the PG is very good cooled in my cellar cinema now!

Daniel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.