AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to elicit opinions on the suitability of the NEC GT6000 projector for a high-end home theater installation.

I need a projector that allows for horizontal lens shift (2° degrees), and does WXGA.

The NEC GT6000 would appear to fit the bill. However, a few years ago my Institute (at a European University) bought a predecessor for the main lecture hall, and it had terrible (incorregible) blue hue... So I was quite put off.

Hence I would value the opinions of anyone who owns, or has extensive experience with, the NEC GT6000. I desperately need some advice - bfefore I put down USD 12000...

thanks

AAG

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag
However, a few years ago my Institute (at a European University) bought a predecessor for the main lecture hall, and it had terrible (incorregible) blue hue... So I was quite put off.

AAG
AAG

With todays outboard processers like the Lumagen with its 11pt grey scale and gamma tracking perfect color calibration is now possible with any display. You have the option to use optical filters also.

Can you tell us a little about the room it will be used it. Screen size, amount if any of ambient light, source ect.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alan: thanks for offering to help. The situation is as follows:

1. lens throw must be 7.5 m (approx. 22 ft, I think)

2. image width (16:9) must be 3 m (9 ft) or slightly less.

3. projector should preferably do 16:9 natively

4. projector should be switchable to 4:3 (with lateral black columns) with one single click!

5. proj. should generate enough luminance to enable casual TV watching at ambient light (many windows in the room).

6. proj. MUST enable horizontal lens shift by at least 30 cm at this throw and image width (2.05° degrees shift)

I have a 3-year old Sony VPL-12HT, which fulfills points 3. and 4. flawlessly, and was perfect for my old flat. Now I have a new house with a huge living room (see JPG architectural plan), and the 12HT has become obsolete since (a) throw length is inadequate and (b) brightness is insufficient.

Hence I am in the market for a new projector. Since I can host it in a wall closet, noise considerations are entirely irrelevant.

I should mention that a dealer demoed a Qualia 004 last week in my house. I will not buy it, for several reasons (despite its admittedly fantastic output), including the fact that it seems unreasonable to pay premiums for object beauty and for silenced fans if the proj is going into a closet.

thanks for any advice!

AAG

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
OK, you've lost me. The NEC GT6000 is extremely far from a high end HT unit. While its build is solid and it has a few decent aspects feature and picture-wise, its contrast is absolute crap by today's standards. Screen door is also going to be pretty visible on a screen that size. Only unit I can think of close to your price and requirements is the Panasonic 7000. You might be able to get it with an appropriate lens for close to the $12K budget you have.

I've used the 6000's smaller siblings (mostly the 3000), and they are really not HT units.

BB

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Your plans seem fantastic. However, I would suggest that the costs of construction probably dwarf the cost of the projector.

It is likely that machines that you buy for highest quality will also be well-designed and will have noise conditioning, so I would not reject anything for those reasons even if these are features you do not require.

Perhaps you should reconsider the Qualia if you like the results. (What is on the screen is the end consideration, after all.) It is my current favorite in the very high-end price range.

I would also look at the new Sim2 3-chip DLP. I have not seen it yet. Also the JVC 1080 system. (I am sorry I do not have the model numbers for either one of these.) I have seen the JVC, and it is also very good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Brandon, that's helpful. The reason why I mentioned the NEC is that it was suggested to me in another thread. I will look into the specs of the Panasonic 7000, and will try to have it demoed.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Your budget is [comparitively] big, so there is no reason for you to get a compromise of a projector.

I'll second the Panny 7000. Another suggestion would be the JVC HX2, and spend the left over money on some proper blacking-out for your room.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input!

I have received a detailed construction costing. It will not be all that expensive. cutting a hole through the wall, recarpeting, and repainting, will add up to 1500 USD. Much of the wiring can go into existing in-wall conduits, but some will not and that will add at least as much costs. Still, the whole thing remains affordable...

It is very likely that in 2-3 years' time I may want to move on to a 1920x1080 projector, when there will be more choice and prices will have fallen. But for the time being, the cost-benefit relation for the Qualia or JVC-HD2K wouldn't justify the purchase.

Hence I am still looking into WXGA class projectors. The Panasonic 7000 might fit the bill but it is unclear to me whether it offers horizontal lens shifting, or just vertical.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I am not sure, about H lens shift. I believe it does not, but might be wrong. We have a 7700 in use nearby, I will check today.

BB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.