Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

After doing some extensive reading on the subjuct I decieded to delete and then re-setup one resolution on my XGLC.

It's amazing how much easier, faster and more effective this is after living with the PJ for a while. The first setup was an agonizing experiece but I finally got it all right but with fairly high numbers on the various adj. I think my old numbers for keystone etc were higher than neccessary because now most of my numbers are low and I have great geometry.

I also noticed that this time around I did not use any line dist adj where I previously had.

If anyone set up thier NEC when they first got it and had a struggle I would reccomend re-doing now that you are familiar with the unit.

I do have a couple of questions re setup however.

1) Is the Raster centering only done once with the highest scan freq or is it done for each individual setup for each resolution on the same I/P. For example. If my highest res is 1440/960 @ 72 should I just center rasters with this signal and then leave them for all others assuming all I/P is on RGB?

2) I noticed something a little weird and I think it may have to do with the overall reduction of electronic correction numbers in my new setup. When I deleted the old setup I needed a Horiz size adj of 94 to fill the screen. After this new adj with the same res and ref rate the numer is 75. So how come I can now fill the screen with a lower Horiz Size number?

Note:

Before doing the setup I confirmed that my voltages on the horiz def board were in spec and did not have to adj them so this is not an issue. I also ensured that it has not been caused by overuse of blanking on the old setup.

3) Just out of dumb curiousity.

Assuming all 3 colors are well converged is the sharpness of the image effected by geometry? I realize the appearance (straight lines in video etc) is greatly effected but what about sharpness? If keystone is well out and the squares in the cross pattern are sig taller on one side than the other will the image be softer on that side assuming all 3 colors are spot on convergence in both cases.The reason I ask is because with video I have no problem with a little bit of bow at the top and bottom of the screen. This can be corrected with pincushion but since the bow is slight and not noticed on video should one bother stressing the adj circuits more?

Of course when you are dealing with a windows desktop then all must be square and straight but that is a diff story.

·
Registered
869 Posts
1) Raster Centering is a global command, and is done only once. Optimally, the raster centering should be done with the highest feed frequency, however, I prefer to set this based on the most used frequency. If you feel 1080i is your most used, I would center the rasters off of this resolution. If your DVD, scaled to 1440/[email protected] is the most used... center your rasters off this setting. Before centering the rasters, ensure that you have zeroed all your static and position settings first, otherwise you are fighting them! Then check the Phase control, and set it properly. Feed the projector a full field white pattern, increase the size to 100/100, and use the raster centering controls to - center the raster. Shrink the size settings to fit your screen, and then use the Static to make up for any minor changes. From there, use the position to fine tune the final position. All of this will be a REAL challange, if you have not propoerly physically installed your projector. Measuring from the four corners of the projector to the same two points on your screen will help you ensure the projector is 100% square. Every 1/8" off from perfect will affect the final focus.

2) This may be related to the memory position you have stored the resolution into. There are guidelines for what memory slots various resolutions should be optimally stored into.... If you want, I can look this up in my tech bulletins, but it is not a critical issue (we are getting really optimized specific here...)

3) In order of importance for optimal focus/resolution:

50% - Projectors physical relationship to the screen (Mounting)

20% - Proper Lense (physical lense) focus/position

20% - Proper Electronic focus

10% - Use of Point Convergence (MINIMAL - NO Fine if possible!)

This has been my experience with the XGs (and to a large degree, the PGs too).

Jeff in Detroit

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like I have it correct then re Raster centering.

As for mech alignment. This is my 6th or so (I'M losing count) PJ but my first NEC. I am really anal about mechanical alignment so this is not a problem.

I do find that the more you optimize your phosfur the harder corner focus becomes. This is true for all brands but.. I think this is due to NECs scheiumpflug adj which is IMO a weakness of NEC. It uses focus rings while Barco, and Electrohome use continuously adj system which is better IMO.

Another question

How come if I delete a resolution while I am viewing that resolution the PJ will not reset to factory on that I/P? I would like to be able to simply delete a resolution and then start from fresh but the PJ maintains the previous settings on that I/P # even though the ID etc is deleted. Then I have to manually normalize each setting individually which is a PITA.

Is there another way?

Also.

If I have a setup done for say 1280/960 @ 72HZ and then want to make another setup using that refresh rate with a different resolution that is somewhat close (say 1440/960 @ 72) is there any wayy to prevent PJ from automatically taking the old settings as a baseline. Usually it's already close but I would like to start from scratch.

Thanks

steve

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Steve,

Depending on what was stored to default the line you deleted may not be the default. The default is what you tell the projector to use within that freq block. Same as Jeff suggests for #2.

To make sure do the signal entry from the temporary line then go to each function button on the left side of the remote then hit normal, confirm yes to normalize. Dont forget 'balance' CTL commands, repeat for all colors.

This will relax the projector and a better solution then 'init eprom' and a good 'start' point that your looking for. The two freq are close, look at the 'info' menu screen to see if the freq has changed between both signals,

if not it will grab the first signal line listed in the input menu and you may not want to change that signals convergence, be careful on the selection of what line your working on.

If this runs the same freq you can do two things, let it ride there or change the refresh rate or another characteristic of the signal, well three things, last being using 'direct entry access' where the CTL button is pressed before the input number to force it to that signal line even running the same freq. This function is turned on in the settings menu.

Look for the default data menu and it will show the freq blocks and whats stored for the default of each block.

Focus note:

When you move raster centering you need to re-adjust the cpc purity magnets for optimum core and flare, the more you move raster centering the more you will need to adjust the purity magnets (mechanical astig) for proper focus. Check the core close, it matters. This is a global adjustment also, it affects all signal entries.

Make sure you have electronic astig normalized (center,edge and corner) or set to mid point for range and you dont want to make a mechanical correction of these with bad data perimeter's stored from the remote.

After the mechanical is done correct with electronic astig. Doug

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doug

It looks like I did everything right by accident.

I think I'll watch her for a few while and then MAYBE try redoing the cpc purity magnets. When I originally setup the PJ about 8 months ago I changed the green and blue tubes for new. At that time I did my best with the magnets but this is one of the last hurdles for me to be truly skilled at installing these PJs. I just have a tough time grasping the art of setting the magnets on the tube necks to where I feel confident I have it optimal. Since the initial install I've learned a lot about the PJ and will tackle the magnets again.

I'm sure I got the rasters centered properly but I'll look at that again first.

As far as the default memories go

There are no entries (at least that show) in the default slots in the menu. The previous owner changed the sys board (thats what I was told) before I got the PJ so maybe he initialized the whole thing through EPROM.

At any rate I'll take a little time, do a little more research on setting the magnets and then try to take it to the next level. You just gotta luv how these things keep getting better the more you learn about setup.

Thanks

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.