AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but NEC is giving a $150 rebate for purchasing a HT1000 between November 1 and Feb 28, 2003

Not to shabby

here is the website address http://ht1000.necvisualsystems.com/

They screwed up on the date. They wrote Feb 28, 2002. If you click on the rebate button, they show 2003

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Daniel,

I think the problem is that there has been a promised price drop just after the beginning of the year. So, I think a lot of people might be waiting for the news. I know I'll be very curious about hearing the new price.

--Darin

·
Registered
909 Posts
A projector like the HT1000 doesn't need a price drop for it to be successful. It is a legend in its price point. Its just one of those products which you would not regret paying full price for because even at full price its still 35% discounted.....from its closest competitors. The only projectors which could smell the HT1000 in terms of the performance are the new HD2 chips.

Those who are asking abt Price drops, 16:9 ratios, HT1000 vs Sony 12Ht obviously have not seen the HT1000 in action just yet. If they have, they would not be asking all these "silly" questions. Please forgive my enthusiasm for the product.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Seriously guys, you have to see this thing to know how amazing it is for the money. You can wait for a price drop or not...regardless just get it. I was really hoping that it would be a dud or a feezer to reduce my post purchase dissonance of my Plus Piano. I was even trying very very hard to avoid demoing it but when the dealer called me in...I could not resist.

During the demo, I tried very hard to find faults with it....fan noise, processing, panning, black levels, brightness, pixelisation etc...at a screen size of 2 metres wide (I was abt 10 feet back) I could not find a fault with it. Of course, the scariest part of the HT1000 was the black levels....it was so good it was scary because by itself, the ergonomics of the HT1000 does not look as special as say a Marantz VPS12 or a Sharp 9000u but the blacks are amazingly solid and deep. There was a real absent of grey mist.

When we watched The Gladiator, there was a scene when Russell Crowe's face was half covered in shadow and the other half in light....the shadow detail in that scene was awesome because even on my Piano with the FLD filter, that scene was very slightly plagued with a thin grey haze over the face.

To be honest with you, even if this projector was $12AUD, I would say that it was a good buy because of the overall depth and excellent color abilities. At the price that it is at the moment, I would start saving my money if I was considering an X1 or HS10.

Unfortunately, my wife will not allow me to upgrade for the next two years so I'll just have to pass on my enthusiam to those who are in a position to buy. You have truly come to the market at a blessed time indeed.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The main obstacle with my purchasing this projector is its light output. I know that it has very good light output for a DLP projector, however, I am pretty certain that it does not have the firepower to light up my 125" microperforate GrayHawk. I have a PLV-60 at the moment and would not be happy with a projector that is not at least as bright.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I'm confused--again! Why would such a new, recently released product, need a rebate-incentive to drum up sales? Even if NEC promised a reduction in price in early 2003 (someone else mentioned that, so take it with a grain of salt) I do not 'get' this move.

Is NEC preparing another product right after the 1st of the year? I have heard some speculate that NEC might be coming out with a sister product of the HD2 variety.

Still, I really do wonder why this NEC-issued incentive is needed (as NEC sees that it is needed, not you or I see it as being needed).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Obviously there maybe an HD2 version coming.

my guess only but I think the best price for HT1000 should be around 3.5K or otherwise, I will choose MT8

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
How does this projector compare to the Toshiba TDP-MT8U or similar Infocus model? What about the Sony VPL-12HT?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
What I want to know is, where did this rumor about the price drop come from.
Daniel,

My memory is that it came from (or through) your boss, Alan. The search function is currently disabled, but I remember reading one of his posts in the last couple of weeks where he mentioned it.

Wanman,

I agree that this is a popular product that shouldn't really need a rebate, but here is my theory. Before the release they had a $250 rebate. This was before people knew how good it was, so it was a good way to get some preorders. Then when it came out we found out how good it was, but the rebate was gone. There are people who are just anal enough (like me) that they would have a hard time paying $250 more than it cost last month. So, they compromised and added the $150 rebate to get people off the fence. Just my theory.

--Darin

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
What I want to know is, where did this rumor about the price drop come from.
Wasn't it your boss?:D

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The thing is, if someone were to order a NEC now, being that they wont be shipped until next year, (can you believe another year is done) I will adjust the sales price assuming their is a price drop and that the projector hasnt shipped. Being that we dont charge until we ship, their wont be any danger of being overcharged. That plus the fact that NEC is giving a rebate makes the decision easy. Also, as everone is backordered, anyone buying today will be first in line when they start shipping again

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Quote:
The thing is, if someone where to order a NEC now, being that they wont be shipped until next year, (can you believe another year is done) I will adjust the sales price assuming their is a price drop and that the projector hasnt shipped. Being that we dont charge until we ship, their wont be any danger of being overcharged. That plus the fact that NEC is giving a rebate makes the decision easy. Also, as everone is backordered, anyone buying today will be first in line when they start shipping again
If this isn't a great reason to support AVS....well, you know the rest.

·
Premium Member
24,813 Posts
Lyndon,

"There was a real absent of grey mist.

....the shadow detail in that scene was awesome because even on my Piano with the FLD filter, that scene was very slightly plagued with a thin grey haze over the face."

You've described perfectly the problem with insufficient CR. I experienced the same thing with the LT150.

Do you know how the HT1000 was set up as far as bulb brightness mode and aperture size?

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
I received my HT1000 a couple of days ago and have had a few hours to play around with it. I have not yet received my screen (should early next week) and the walls in my HT room are painted a dark red, so I have been forced to fire up the HT1000 in another room - one with white walls. Further, there is no ready connection to a suitable video source in the room, so I have been forced to use a wireless video transmitter as the source. The only option with this device is to use the composite video-in.

Having said all that, all I can say so far is - EXCELLENT!

I am a newbie. But in my search for a projector, I did see a lot of competitive products. I can not make any comparisons at this point. But what I can say is that with a very poor video source - one that would never normally be used, the HT1000 does a marvelous job rendering a very watchable image. The first thing I watched was The Avengers on the Mystery Channel. I felt like I was watching the Avengers at a movie theater. Colors were very rich and natural (to my eye). The image was very bright, even with a fair amount of ambient light - enough light to allow me to read the owner's manual.

One thing I was very curious to experience was the offset. It is extreme, to be sure, but for my purposes, will not cause a problem. Because of the offset, rather than go with a ceiling mount, I will place the projector on the bottom shelf of my coffee table. It will work and I will save a couple of hundred bucks!

Once I receive my screen, I will post a more informative message.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.