AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the HT1000 since November of this year. I did not want to write a review until I was comfortable about my feelings regarding this projector. This is not to mention that I like to run the projector through its paces before making a judgment. Many reviewers here write only about their gut feelings right after they have opened the box, which in most cases do not make very good reviews.

To provide insight to my frame of reference, I have had about five projectors in my home theater. Sequentially here they are: Mitsubishi XD200, Mitsubishi X490U, Optoma H55, Sanyo XP21N, and then the NEC HT1000.

I must say without hesitation that the HT1000 is a turning point in the history of front projection technology. Unlike any projector that precedes the HT1000, the HT1000 truly delivers on the promise of film like images from a digital projector.

Nearly every digital projector I have seen and auditioned in my home theater has looked like a digital projector. There was NOTHING film like about the image. Now there are people out there who would disagree with me, but those are the same people who also spend another $2000-$5000 on a video scaler to go along with the projector or some souped up Home Theater PC to produce this mythical film like image.

I should not have to buy an outboard scaler to make a projector produce film like images. If I am spending 4-5K on a projector that promises film like images, then it better deliver. All the projectors I have seen do not deliver except for the HT1000.

What is more startling than the image that is produced on the screen is the level of black detail coaxed out of the IRIS and ECO-mode. Every digital projector I have seen has had problems with black detail because they are not black but grey. When blacks are produced on the HT1000 they are rich, vibrant, and detailed. You notice that James Bond's black suit is a different black as the light reflects back from his lapel.

As for the rainbow problem, the Optoma H55 made me sick because of the rainbow effect and from then on I swore I would never buy DLP again. The HT1000 has made a hypocrite of me. Try as I may, only rarely do I see rainbows. The HT1000 has made me believe that LCD projectors will be swept away into the dustbins of history. I will never buy an LCD projector ever again

As for the Sweetvision making a better picture from an interlaced DVD player than a progressive scan DVD player, DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT. A progressive scan DVD makes this projector shine especially if you can get the DVD player to display in DARK mode. I have this feature in the DENON DVD 3800. Interlaced pictures on the HT1000 do it a terrible disservice.

In conclusion, the HT1000 has changed the rules of the game. Other manufacturers will really have to ramp up to beat this projector for home theater and will become a classic home theater machine for now and the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Very impressive. You are the first one who told me H55 has such severe rainbow effect. Believe it or not, Optoma priced H55 here similar to HT1000

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Have you had a chance to view the HT1000 with true HD 720p or 1080i. My only hesitations on this pj are: 1) 4:3 panel means lost resolution at HD levels. That's why I'm curious whether the resolution results in a degraded PQ with HD content. Seems logical that it would, considering that it couldn't show all the pixels compared to other 16:9 DLPs that show each pixel of 720p, etc. My other hesitation is the offset - I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out how to work the 7200 into my room, and its offset, although high, is not as high as the HT1000... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

the HT1000 is a very nice DLP. However there is one downside, it cannot and will not do anything else besides 60Hz via DVI/VGA. I just received confirmation from NEC/Europe that there is no possibility to change the firmware in that respect 'without much effort' meaning they are not going to consider it.

Are there any other high end DLPs that can do anything else besides 60Hz other than the SIM2 machines?

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I think I might concur regarding running a DVD player in progressive. I have been spending time watching from a Panasonic RP82 in 480i and 480p, and I am leaning toward using the 480p exclusively.

I would like to hear a little more regarding your use of "dark mode" from the DVD player. How do you calibrate the HT1000 for use with the 0 IRE or Dark Mode presentation mode?

Have you played around with the zoom and image centering features on the HT1000. Not the aspect changes, but the zoom in and the ability to move around while zooming in... very powerful.

I am also growing more thankful for the nice design and layout of the remote.

When the projector is displaying a black screen, and you can faintly see the entire 4:3 projection screen... do you notice any areas of light bleed outside the 4:3 view area?

What is your projection screen?

Thanks for the review. I also find the HT1000 a truly entertaining product, although it is only my 1st front projector.

RJ

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clehner

Hi,

the HT1000 is a very nice DLP. However there is one downside, it cannot and will not do anything else besides 60Hz via DVI/VGA. I just received confirmation from NEC/Europe that there is no possibility to change the firmware in that respect 'without much effort' meaning they are not going to consider it.

so there's a bug in the manual ?

Here :
http://ht1000.necvisualsystems.com/HT1000_MAN_Oct17.pdf

on page E-54, they clearly state that it can do 85 Hz @ 1024x768

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PortaPro

so there's a bug in the manual ?

PortaPro ,

actually no, the system does accept other frequencies than 60Hz, but they are all processed internally as 60Hz. The relevant thing would be to PROCESS 48 Hz (for NTSC film) and 50Hz (PAL) internally which the unit does not and probably will not.

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lovingdvd
Have you had a chance to view the HT1000 with true HD 720p or 1080i. My only hesitations on this pj are: 1) 4:3 panel means lost resolution at HD levels. That's why I'm curious whether the resolution results in a degraded PQ with HD content. Seems logical that it would, considering that it couldn't show all the pixels compared to other 16:9 DLPs that show each pixel of 720p, etc. My other hesitation is the offset - I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out how to work the 7200 into my room, and its offset, although high, is not as high as the HT1000... Thanks.
I do not feed the projector any HDTV content so I do not know how it would look like. DVDs, even poorly mastered ones such as Bladerunner, look very smooth and filmlike.

The offset is only a problem if you do not mount the projector flush to the ceiling, assuming that your ceiling is about 8'. Unfortunately you won't know for sure if the offset is going to be a problem until you have projector in hand and actually mount it. If you do make a mistake, there is the digital keystone correction to compensate for it. Don't worry, the keystone correction on the HT1000 is exceptional and won't be noticed even by the pickiest videophile.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Have you viewed standard definition cable(Time Warner) and if so, what do you think about picture quality?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thanks for your review. I have a HT1000 and agree wholeheartedly. For years I endured the size and noise of a huge CRT PJ because every digital projector, no matter what its technology, produced a flat, artificial looking image. I went to CEDIA this year and after the trek to the hotel where NEC was debuting the HT1000, after about 1 minute watching a DVD on the HT1000 I knew I had found was I was seeking. Though I don't yet have access to HDTV, the HDTV images NEC showed were as sharp as sharp can get. We're still waiting for someone to do a side by side comparison of the HT1000 and one of the HD2 PJ's to see if the resolution difference is very noticeable at normal viewing distances.

I was interested in your comment about interlaced vs. progressive signals. I just purchased a Pioneer Elite 45A DVD player to replace my old interlaced player. It supposedly has a pretty decent deinterlacer, though not the Faroudja chip. It has a front panel switch for progressive, but it takes the HT1000 about 10 seconds to sync to the new signal, so A>B comparisons are difficult. I wonder why there is a difference having the DVD player do the doubling vs. having the HT1000 do it? Anyway, your comments have encouraged me to try using a progressive input to see how it looks.

I have watch some regular cable TV through the HT1000 and it looks surprisingly good. It's not HDTV, but is tolerable, especially brightly lit sporting events.

I guess the HT1000 is now back-ordered about everywhere. Sometimes manufacturers underestimate how popular a product is going to be. If NEC drops the price of the HT1000 to the point where street prices fall below $4,000, other PJ makers better start running for cover. This is one great projector.

MIKE

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RJM321
I think I might concur regarding running a DVD player in progressive. I have been spending time watching from a Panasonic RP82 in 480i and 480p, and I am leaning toward using the 480p exclusively.

I would like to hear a little more regarding your use of "dark mode" from the DVD player. How do you calibrate the HT1000 for use with the 0 IRE or Dark Mode presentation mode?

Have you played around with the zoom and image centering features on the HT1000. Not the aspect changes, but the zoom in and the ability to move around while zooming in... very powerful.

I am also growing more thankful for the nice design and layout of the remote.

When the projector is displaying a black screen, and you can faintly see the entire 4:3 projection screen... do you notice any areas of light bleed outside the 4:3 view area?

What is your projection screen?

Thanks for the review. I also find the HT1000 a truly entertaining product, although it is only my 1st front projector.

RJ

When using the DENON DVD 3800, if you go into the setup menu you can set the DVD to output a darker picture under the video settings tab. I have made NO changes to the factory default settings of the HT1000 except for changing the aspect ratio to "Cinema (16:9)" and setting the picture to "Movie".

I do not have any faith in the picture adjustment controls on any projector. The very reason people "tweek" their projectors is that they are not satisfied by the picture. I have found NO AMOUNT OF TWEEKING can help a projector that looks bad right out of the box. Nor do I think AVIA or Video Essential are worthwhile to "calibrate" a projector or improve the picture of a projector that look bad out of the box. It just does not work for projectors.

I have a VUTEC VUEASY 100" fixed frame screen with a 1.5 gain. With the DENON DVD 3800, the black bars on the top and bottom are pure black with ZERO light bleed. Unlike the Optoma H55 and the Mitsubishi XD200, the HT1000 has NO Halo effect around the 4:3 DLP chip.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Pappanastos
Have you viewed standard definition cable(Time Warner) and if so, what do you think about picture quality?
I purposely have not fed it a cable signal since this is a classic case of garbage in/garbarge out. No scalar or on board video chip on a projector has been able to convince me that a cable video source is watchable on a projector. HDTV, however, is another story entirely.

I have my trusty 27" Sony Trinitron TV from 1996 to watch my cable tv.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clehner
Hi,

Are there any other high end DLPs that can do anything else besides 60Hz other than the SIM2 machines?

Regards

Christoph
Hello, Christoph,

bad news. I'll never understand how big companies can forget basic features like this in a HT projector.

One hope less ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
"I do not have any faith in the picture adjustment controls on any projector. The very reason people "tweek" their projectors is that they are not satisfied by the picture. I have found NO AMOUNT OF TWEEKING can help a projector that looks bad right out of the box. Nor do I think AVIA or Video Essential are worthwhile to "calibrate" a projector or improve the picture of a projector that look bad out of the box. It just does not work for projectors. "

Sorry, this doesn't make any sense to me. Without doing some basic calibration with a standard setup disc, your whole review is suspect in my mind. Also, because you have your DVD player set to "darker" you probably are crushing the blacks so that everything dark is black, and you have no real gray in your picture.

Corey J

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mooneycj
"I do not have any faith in the picture adjustment controls on any projector. The very reason people "tweek" their projectors is that they are not satisfied by the picture. I have found NO AMOUNT OF TWEEKING can help a projector that looks bad right out of the box. Nor do I think AVIA or Video Essential are worthwhile to "calibrate" a projector or improve the picture of a projector that look bad out of the box. It just does not work for projectors. "

Sorry, this doesn't make any sense to me. Without doing some basic calibration with a standard setup disc, your whole review is suspect in my mind. Also, because you have your DVD player set to "darker" you probably are crushing the blacks so that everything dark is black, and you have no real gray in your picture.

Corey J
Sorry Corey, I have to respectfully disagree. The greys are superb on the HT1000. I have spent many hours "calibrating" the HT1000 with the standard setup discs and always returned the settings back to default.

I have a big problem when things I expect to see black are grey. This problem is endemic to all digital projectors especially LCD projectors.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I think the 60hz issue is a localization one. If they are just marketing it mainly towards the USA and Japan, then 60Hz is all you need. Many digital projectors also do this internal 60hz conversion internally...it is not confined to the HT1000.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
I think the 60hz issue is a localization one. If they are just marketing it mainly towards the USA and Japan, then 60Hz is all you need. Many digital projectors also do this internal 60hz conversion internally...it is not confined to the HT1000.
Hello,

that's ok, it's a business decision but then don't count on the european customers ;) to make the money.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, this doesn't make any sense to me. Without doing some basic calibration with a standard setup disc, your whole review is suspect in my mind. Corey J [/b]
Let me comment here... I have my HT1000 calibrated with a flat white painted wall to the VE, SMPTE Bars and my own video test disc. I find I can leave the contrast set to factory setups. Butt I have brightness set to -17 to get perfect black pluge from my white wall. If I were to switch the DVD player into dark mode, there by lowering the black levels, it makes sense to me that leaving the brightness at the higher factory preset might be in the ball park.

I disagree with the original posters comments and feel any display device can be improved upon with calibration. But I do agree calibration can not turn a poor display device into something of excellence. Fortunately, the HT1000 is not a poor display device right out of the box.

RJ

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.