AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my nec ht1000 today and am curious why the sweet vision does not change the picture. When split screen is activated I see absolutely no change in picture with low, med, high or off. Am I missing something? Great projector though. Anyone have some favorite settings for a fully darkened room. I could spend days with all these tweaks.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
turn on sweetvision and split the screen, freeze an image and you can see the difference. It tends to overenhance the edges a bit.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Low is fine, high seems to add to much detail, I don't like off.

For DVD try

User 1 in Movie

gamma - black detail - some like Natural, times I though natural added a haze effect. Your preference.

color temp - 6500K

Picture settings

Sweetvision - low

Black enhancment 3

Contrast enhancment minus 2

Pop on Lord of the Rings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did freeze the picture and split screen and still I see absolutely no difference between off, low med or high. I guess my question is if this feature is deffective on my machine, how much difference does sweet vision make. Do I need to return this machine or just forget about it?

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
When you toggle between off and on there's a drastic difference in sharpness and detail.

You're running an interlaced DVD player with component directly to the PJ, right?

Also once you've seen what the sweetvision will do, off may look a little blurry to you. I used the shire scene in LOTR. The trees in that scene with sweetvision on will show you all the grain of the bark in those trees. Without it the details are gone. Keep looking if your not seeing it I'd call the tech support.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I just got my HT1000 this week and I've tried it with my RP82. I was watching "Dark City" and turned progressive off. The faces became really smeared and I also didn't see much difference with the different levels of sweetvision. I've never been able to get the freeze button to work, so I couldn't freeze on one image. I could pause the DVD player, though.

Tom,

I have a question for you. If you put a 2.35:1 movie in and then walk up to the screen and look at the area outside the movie that is supposed to be black, are the pixels on/moving. With the progressive turned off on the RP82 this area has the pixels moving, which tells me that the CR is much less than the projector is capable off. Black should be mirrors off and it is very close to that (a few moving periodically) when I turn progressive on. With the D1 it is even higher, with the black level being maybe 4 or 5 times as bright as the HT1000 black level.

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,091 Posts
The dithering is clearly worse (especially in the bars) with 480i on the RP-82. That's why I settled on 480p into the HT1000 contrary to Tom's suggestion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
guitarman, I do have a non progressive dvd player with component to the receiver (denon 3803) then component to the projector. Still no change with sweat vision on or off. lotr shire scene blades of grass and couldn't tell which side of the spit screen was supposed to change because there was none looking at it from normal distance and close up. If this is supposed to give such a dramatic difference as you mention, I think a tech call is next. Also, do you see a sweet vision difference with other sources like satalite or cable? The other tweaks on black levels do change the picture quite a bit. I want my sweat vision....

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Pkelley, I ran some tests this morning and the sweetvision feature is so good, I'm having trouble choosing which is better the Bravo D1 or the JVC using sweetvision and the settings I previously posted.

As far as being able to see what sweetvision does. In most any dvd scene you can clearly see it do it's magic, focus on the center of the screen and toggle off and on. If you're still not seeing anything there has to be something wrong with your machine.

Also darinp asked about seeing mirror activity in the black bars. Nope can't see anything, just deep black. And that's for the larger bars a 4.3 screen will give you. Plus I couldn't see a change by adding in the blanking feature, black is black.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I found that my Panasonic RP91 gave a better image in progressive mode than in interlaced with Sweetvision turned on. Progressive mode was smoother with less artifacts (similar to what Darin saw, but not quite as bad). I definitely preferred the progressive scan image.

Tom, maybe your DVD player's progressive mode sucks? :)

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
No I can hit progressive on and off and I did compare the RP82 in both modes to the JVC interlaced using sweetvision. Here's the thing we all hv different preferences. With me I like the 3D look the sweetvision adds and find the progressive softer signal takes away that Plasma punch look which I've described so many times before. I guess I just like that stark contrast look over the smoother picture.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Guitarman,

I am sorry to come back to the already exhausted topic of Z90 vs. HT1000.

However, I would need your expertise on these two PJ to make up my mind once and for all.

Basically, I know that the HT1000 is way better than the Z90, but what I don't know is how much better and if the HT1000 is worth 75% times more than the price of the Z90 or not.

My problem is that to find a retailer to buy online is easy for me, but finding a good showroom displaying both PJ in good conditions is close to the quest for the holy grail (Monty Python style). That why I need to have your experienced opinion on that matter.

I will be at 11' of a 84" diagonal 4:3 screen, using high-quality s-video cables from LD and DVD players through a THX Denon amp.

Do you think the HT1000 gives a picture that is so good that it would be worth in my conditions to spend 75% more than the price of the Z90?

Thank you!

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Both projectors do have super contrast, deep blacks and vivid colors, so you'd be happy with either one. You just hv to decide whether the tighter resolution is worth the extra couple of grand. The pixel grid is much less noticable on the XGA resolution. Is that worth 2grand, you hv to decide.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks a lot Guitarman for your straightforward answer; that's what I like about your answers, they always are crystal clear.

To answer your question: if the only significant difference between the 2 is the pixel grid tightness and if and only if it disappears at 2x the screen width for the z90, then, NO, the HT1000 is from my point of view not worth the extra couple of hardly earned grants.

If this analysis of your answer is correct, then the z90 will be mine soon.

Thanks again.

Take care.

·
Premium Member
25,005 Posts
Tom,

"Both projectors do have super contrast, deep blacks..."

Are you saying that the HT1000 doesn't have significantly better black levels than the Z90?

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Noah

To Guitarman's defence, I would say that he never specified which one had the strongest black level; he just said that they both had deep blacks but not which one had the "deepest".

From what I've read, the HT1000 has the deepest blacks among ALL digital front projectors at the moment. I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I must add to my previous answer that as long as a projector gives me blacks and an overall picture quality that are close to the ones I see in a normal (i.e. non-digital) cinema, I will be happy with it. I have never seen "black hole"-type blacks in a cinema in my life (I may not be going to the right theatres!).

I am not asking for a giant plasma display either, because I find their picture far too digital and un-natural to my taste.

I am under the impression that people will tell me to buy a CRT projector. I have thought about that but I am moving around the world too often to be able to buy one at the moment.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The HT1000 has a 4x color wheel, the Z90 has a 5x wheel. Only an issue if you can see rainbows. Also, the Z90 has a quieter fan, and is sexier looking. Pixellation is more apparent on the Z90, of course.

Both are fantastic projectors.

As for Sweetvision, I objected to the video artifacts. But, that could be a cabling issue. I found the contrast identical. Color saturation is higher with the sweetvision, of course. Honestly, I found Sweetvision better than expected (far better than most RPTV deinterlacers).

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
DrJo,

At the 2times formula you'd be fine with the Z90, the Z90 also has the 12degree mirrors which is why it's blacks are so good. I'd say all the new HD2 12degree mirror machines are the best out there for blacks.

Here's an old Z90 shot, notice the steely blacks of the microphone and the chicks hair. There's your 12degree mirrors.

http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/dark3.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aaaahhh, using the beautiful Jenny Connelly to convert me to the Z90 is not fair. On top of that, Dark City is one of my favorite movies, I saw it 3 times in one week when it was released in cinemas.

Anyway, Thanks Maxleung and Guitarman for all these great advice and if pixel grid does not distract from enjoying the movies, that's fine for me, I won't be looking for it; I'm not masochist.

As for the rainbows, I really don't know if I'm sensitive but, even if I'm not, I want to make sure that I have a machine that won't bother my friends, family and potential future girlfriend(s), so I think the Z90 is a better-rounded machine for hassle-free movie watching; I don't give a damn for HDTV, it's not ready to appear in the UK yet.

For the screenshots, they are great. However, I can't help but notice a very greyish background all around Ms Connelly. Is it like that when you watch the movie or is ti due to the conditions of capture (flash?, camera artifacts, ...?).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.