Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm very interested in these two DLP projectors and I'm wondering if these machines are worthy of comparison. I know one is a 4:3 native display and one is a 16:9 native display. I'm familiar with all the specs and I've read the Projector Central review of the NEC (they haven't reviewed the Sharp yet). I've personally seen the Sharp, but I can't find anyone in my area that has the NEC displayed. Have any of you actually viewed both of these units and if so, what were your impressions? I'm not trying to get a "mine's better than yours" type discussion, I'm just trying to gather opinions about the performance of both units. This FP will go into a designated theater room and will be primarily used to watch DVDs and football... hopefully in HD if DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket ever starts broadcasting in HD... until then, the football will be watched from standard satellite feed. Please let me know if you've seen both of these units and what your impressions were.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Todd,

If price is not an object (the 10000U is ~$3000 more than the HT1000), then the 10000U is probably your best bet. The 16:9 AR is the way to go if you are interested in HD since the HT1000 will only display about half the vertical resolution. Additionally, the 10000U uses the HD2 Mustang chip, which is the current next gen DLP product on the market (better contrast and color sat).

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Price is always an object, unfortunately... I was really just wondering how wide the gap was between these two units. Projector Central didn't seem to think the gap was very wide at all, lower pixels and all. Here are a couple of exerpts from their HT1000 review:

"With a retail price of $5,495, the HT1000 is within the budget range of many more consumers than are the more expensive "boutique" home theater projectors at $10,000 and up. And in comparison to these elite products, the simple truth is you really don't give up too much in the way of picture quality by keeping the extra five grand in your pocket. The HT1000 is not the equivalent of the elite machines by any stretch. But in terms of overall picture quality, we suspect the elite brand managers will privately be regarding the HT1000 as a formidable competitor that is way too close for comfort."

"The HT1000 is truly an exciting projector, and one destined to be among the elite of the home theater projectors in the months to come. Color accuracy is dead-on, saturation is beautiful, contrast is unmatched, black levels are rich and solid. Internal signal processing is leading-edge, and even S-video from a cheap DVD player is stunning. After seeing the pre-production model we said it was the best single-chip DLP projector we have yet seen. That statement still stands. The HT1000 is a break-through product in its price range."

I'm just trying to gather some feedback from forum members as to whether they agree with this or not...

$3,000 can go a long way... That would pay for my Paradigm Studio 60s, Paradigm Servo-15, AND my Paradigm Studio CC. I'm a "value" kind of guy... that is, I'd like to get to that "90%" performance level as affordably as possible. I would have a hard time justifying spending a lot more for the extra "10%". I'm just trying to figure out if these two projectors are that close in performance... I really wish I could see them in an A/B comparison.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Todd,

Keep in mind that Projector Central's comments were between the HT1000 and HD1 DLP projectors. They reviewed the HT1000 before any HD2 DLP projector. The HD2 DLP projectors are quite a bit better than the HD1s.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Todd implies a good question though. Yes, there is a significant percentage decrease in resolution of HD material between the HT1000 and 10000U, but how does it really look? Is it that noticeable? If so, then I think the higher resolution is worth it as it is more future proof, if not, the value seems to like with the HT1000.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Well there is a small misstatement in the above, the vertical resolution of the HT1000 is quite a bit more than half of the Sharp with HD programming.

The HT will display 1024 x 576 for 16:9 material. The Sharp would of course display 1280x720. The total number of pixels is about 1.6 times greater on the HD2 chip. But vertical resolution is only 25% greater.

As to what your eye will tell you, no one can answer that but you. However, I've seen side by side of the HT1000 and the Infocus 7200 (HD2) and the resolution difference is noticable but not overwhelming. For the nearly $5K difference in list between the Sharp and the NEC, I went with the NEC.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Isn't the HT1000's DLP chip similar to an HD2? It has a 12 degree DMD, just like the HD2 Mustang chips, but in an XGA format.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott, that's true about DLP1 vs. DLP2... but I've read a lot of opinions that indicate the new DLP chip doesn't offer all that much over the old DLP chip. I realize that everyones opinions are subjective and that everyones eyes see things differently... I'm just trying to gauge a value decision. In doing so, I'm interested in hearing the opinions of people that have seen both machines... regardless of which one they bought or whether or not they bought either.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Max,

I believe you are correct... 12% chip in the NEC, but in a 4:3 native aspect ratio. I'm sure some HT1000 owners can verify this.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxleung
Isn't the HT1000's DLP chip similar to an HD2? It has a 12 degree DMD, just like the HD2 Mustang chips, but in an XGA format.
That is correct. TI came out with the 12 degree mirrors on the XGA chip before the HD chip.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I have seen the Marantz 12s2 and Seleco 300+ and to answer your main question. Yes you would be hard pressed to notice a drastic difference between these fine HD2 machines and the HT1000. The Marantz I consider to be the benchmark of the new projectors. I haven't seen the Sharp but I doubt it surpasses the Marantz.

Again you're not going to see a drastic difference between these machines and the NEC. Who knows you may even like the bigger swing in contrast ratio and the fact you can display a 120" 4.3 image if you choose the NEC.

I did have the Sharp Z9000 (HD1) and can say that all of these new HD2 PJ's I mentioned have a much better picture than the earlier Sharp. Better in that they have a high ratio of blacks to whites and are more 3D like. Each one will deliver a smooth and very striking picture. Maybe I had a bad Sharp but it seemed to me to be more 2D with alot less pop.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Tom, IMO the Sharp is equal to the Marantz in PQ, so is the TV3. All three are simply excellent PJ's. I'm having a very tough time picking the winner.

Todd, sounds like you have one foot in the HT1000 door, it's a great little PJ for the money.

However, are you aware that the Sharp Z10k can be purchased (in the US) for FAR less than the retail price (this includes factory warranty)?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What are your installation options? The HT1000 has a considerable offset, and wouldn't work for me in my installation. It might come down to throw and offset characteristics for you.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Thomas - the best I have seen the Sharp for in the U.S. is $2,500 off MSRP, which is still around $3,000 greater than the HT1000 street.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Todd,

Why don't you really narrow the gap and get the Ht-1000 with an attatched PSO-1000 lens for an extra 1K. This should bring the projectors VERY close in performace and you can still put bucks in your pocket.

Jeff

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
If money was no issue, I would definitely go with the Sharp, but on the other hand, I dont think you are loosing much going with the NEC especially if you get the panamorph lens that goes with it. Only issue with the NEC is the lens offsett

·
Registered
634 Posts
On the same boat as well. I saw the Sharp and it's simply amazing. Much better than the Sharp 9000. I'm still waiting to see a HT1000 in action. My main concern is longevity of the projector. How happy will I be in a few years time kind of thing. The Sharp's price is really not something I want to pay for. The HT1000 being 4:3 and it's screen height requirements does concern me but it's price is right.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Quote:
but I've read a lot of opinions that indicate the new DLP chip doesn't offer all that much over the old DLP chip
That was all marketing mumbo jumbo from the folks at TI trying to keep manufacturers happy who were worried (rightly so) that they'd end up sitting on old HD1 projector stock or have to discount heavily if the new HD2 units were better.

Fact: The HD2 units *smoke* the older HD1 untis...and NO it's not just "better optics" etc... (though indeed most projector manufacturers improved all aspects in their new designes).

Someone makes a good point about going with an anamorphic lens.

BTW, consider getting a 16x9 screen for the 1000 even though it's a "4x3" projector. It can operate in 16x9 mode and thus act like a native 16x9 machine (sacrificing resolution on 4x3 sources, however).

If you want the best HT effect...a 16x9 screen works best as it makes the best-quality images the biggest (HD and 16x9 DVD) and the lower-quality images smaller (TV). a 4x3 screen tends to screw up viewing distance as to get a decent picture you have to keep moving your seating back and forth or watch WS material much smaller than you should.

-dave

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

I think one important fact has not been mentioned yet. Only the SIM2 (don't know about the Marantz, but I doubt it as there is a TI problem with the driver software) is working with an HTPC to full potential. Neither the NEC nor the Sharp can do 48Hz or 50Hz natively via DVI.

So, for all the HTPC fans out there, take this into consideration for your final decision ;)

Regards

Christoph

·
Registered
47 Posts
@clehner

I've successfully driven an S2 from a HTPC (Radeon 7500) via DVI at 1280x720 50 Hz and 47.952 Hz with no stutter or tearing artefacts.

Similarily, there are success reports from MT-8/7200 users that the unit does at least 50 Hz via DVI without problems. I currently have one here for evaluation, but only with analog VGA connectivity, where it fails to do 50 Hz.

I'm really interested in a report about whether the Sharp XV-10000 is able to do pixel perfection properly -- have you tested it, or is this extrapolated from the XV-9000/90 failures?

Olli

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.