AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie here, and trying to figure which way from $5000 I need to go. I've seen some great endorsements on the Sony HT1000, and I've seen some great ones on the NEC HT1000.

I'm looking for great image clarity (combination of resolution and contrast) with digital TV, HDTV and computer input. Screen size around 90" to 100" diag max. Any obvious direction here?

Thanks,

Chip

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
scottyb,

Which projector do you have? I live in Mpls., MN and would be interested in seeing the Sony, if that's what you have.

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have an HS10 that cost me $2530.... i have a hard time believing the NEC HT1000 is *twice* as good, despite being twice as much money. the HS10 has other stuff u cant get on the HT1k (like native 16:9, power focus/power zoom, conversion lenses,etc.. ).

some ppl dont like single-chip DLP b/c they see rainbows and/or get headaches. :rolleyes:

is the NEC PQ better? going by its stats sheet, it would seem to be, at least for DVD. but is it $2500 better? not to me...not even close.

i would say that if u are even comparing the HS10 to pj's costing twice the money, then u would probably be quite happy w/ the sony... the line forms to the right. :D

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Quote:
is the NEC PQ better? yes. is it $2500 better? not to me...not even close.
Street price on the HT1000 brings the additional cost to just over $1500. Still a significant amount, but $1.5K is not as bad as $2.5K.

I have the HT1000. I am running a 96" screen and viewing from 11' and the image is awesome. If I zoom out to 114" from the same viewing distance, I just start to see screen door, but at the smaller size the picture in excellent.

I don't notice any rainbows, and the contrast is excellent. Because of my short throw and small screen size, I am running the projector in economy mode and the iris closed down, which still leaves the unit plenty bright.

The onboard Faroudja processing is excellent and a good DVD source at 480i looks nearly as good as a 1080i HDTV broadcast... nearly, ;-)

Is the HT1000 worth the extra cabbage? I think it does offer very nice color, grayscale, contrast and resolution. I am not missing a 16:9 setup, but I would be unhappy with significantly lower contrast as I love those deep blacks with lots of shadow detail.

I think both projectors are a great value, Personally I prefer the DLP image over a LCD, so I would have chosen the HT1000 for that reason. But I would not have chosen the LT260 over the HT1000 for the cost savings.

IMHO... given the street price of the HT1000, the projector ought to get a little more attention on this side of the +/- $5000 fence. It's definitely worthy of anyone's consideration.

RJ

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
If you have a little time on your side there will be a price drop right after the first of the year on the nec.

Definitely go see both technologies. See if the screen door bothers you on the HS10 and see if rainbows bother you on a DLP that uses the new rgbrgb color wheel.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I was told the same thing about the price drop from a retailer here in the UK, so it seems that it's not limited to the US.

It seems NEC won't be shipping any official HT1000s to the the UK until the new year anyway, so this may be the case for Europe too.

Gary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
If you have a little time on your side there will be a price drop right after the first of the year on the nec.

Definitely go see both technologies. See if the screen door bothers you on the HS10 and see if rainbows bother you on a DLP that uses the new rgbrgb color wheel.
Thanks for the info, Alan. I can wait. I've looked around for some place here in southeastern Michigan where I could check out this caliber of pj, but with no luck so far. You know of any directory of places that can show you this stuff in the flesh?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WatchThis
i have an HS10 that cost me $2530.... i have a hard time believing the NEC HT1000 is *twice* as good, despite being twice as much money. the HS10 has other stuff u cant get on the HT1k (like native 16:9, power focus/power zoom, conversion lenses,etc.. ).

some ppl dont like single-chip DLP b/c they see rainbows and/or get headaches. :rolleyes:

is the NEC PQ better? going by its stats sheet, it would seem to be, at least for DVD. but is it $2500 better? not to me...not even close.

i would say that if u are even comparing the HS10 to pj's costing twice the money, then u would probably be quite happy w/ the sony... the line forms to the right. :D
WatchThis:

Am I interpreting your post correctly that you have NOT seen an NEC HT-1000 in action? If so, I find your statement "...is it $2500 better? Not to me...not even close" to be somewhat confusing. Unless of course, you don't think ANY projector could be worth $4500, in which case I guess you don't need to see it to make such a statement.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
DLP projectors can be seen to produce a rainbow type artefact on screen due to the ay they procuce the image - RGB via mirrors and a colour wheel.

Some people see them, and some don't

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Watchthis just got scolded.

QQQ is the ONLY one to comment on projectors that he has not seen ! No one else is certified to do this critical and valuable work.

QQQ is recognized as the forum's foremost reviewer of these machines and his word's are considered "weighty" to all our decisions about future purchases and pricing. To evaluate a projector without seeing it is left to QQQ and him alone.

:)

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Exactly Jimmy. No one is allowed to review projectors they haven't seen except for me. But seriously, although "My Review of 5 Projectors I Haven't Seen" was done in jest, it was also poking fun at this very issue, specifically the fact that SOME people on this forum like to make definitive statements about products they have never seen. I think it is misguided.

·
Registered
110 Posts
get real.. i said not to me ...what part of not to me would cause somebody to think i'm saying "no pj is worth 5 grand?" :rolleyes:

go back...re-read....digest...think...

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think the point was that you have made this decision without actually seeing the projector. Even though you clearly stated that this is your own personal preference, you have reached that determination based solely upon the specs of the HT1000, and reality can often be very different from a spec sheet. Which leads to the statement that you might think that no projector is worth $4500, since you can dismiss a $4500 projector without seeing it.

What it comes down to is that you simply must see these projectors before ruling them out. I for instance have mixed experience with DLP. I've seen the Sharp 9000 several times at several different shops. On two of the setups I could see rainbows and it gave me a headache. On two others, I saw no rainbows and was completely comfortable. I saw the Plus Piano and was completely comfortable. Saw the Samsung 507 RPTV in two different places and it gave me a headache each time. Now, I could cross DLP's off my list entirely, but I think that my problem has to do with DLP and high gain screens, as everytime I got a headache, a higher gain screen was being used: Firehawk for the FP's and the high gain RPTV screen. I was able to figure this out with lots of actual viewing. I very much want to see the HT1000 under a variety of conditions to see if it's for me and what screen I can get away with.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WatchThis
get real.. i said not to me ...what part of not to me would cause somebody to think i'm saying "no pj is worth 5 grand?" :rolleyes:

go back...re-read....digest...think...
Just wondering... In your opinion/ experience, what pj has been worth $5K? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the HT1000 seems to have set a new benchmark in the $5k zone. So as a result, I would also tend to think you are ruling any and all contenders in the $5k range.

RJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.