AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wide screen review and home theater magazines both differ as to what you should feed the Neck ht1000, progressive or interlaced. I realize you lose the sweatvision options with a progressive feed, but I'm curious what a progressive dvd player would do for this projector. Whats the verdict all you nec ht1000 owners?

·
Registered
532 Posts
What home theater magazine said about NECs internal DCDi and why progressive scan player is needed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tk, Home theater magazine said "for the most part Neck has excellent processing and scaling with dvd material. It picks up the 3:2 sequence on film sources, although there are still some slightly jagged edges. It will look fine with your other sources, but a progressive-scan dvd player makes this projector look even better.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Maybe they are right. Internal DCDi seems to drop to video mode occasionally during film so if you want absolutely 100% quality PS DVD-player is suggested. From what I have read I learned that FLI2xxx based chip does not stay in film mode so well as Sil based chips do, so it is a kind of a feature of Faroudja chip.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've tried both 480i and 480p and would say go for a progressive player.

I'm using an RP82 with the HT1000 and it's just plain fantastic :)

·
Registered
959 Posts
I use my HT1000 with a Sony 7700 interlaced dvd player and the picture is fantastic. Don't know how it could get much better with PS player.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think many of us have found that the new DVI players (Bravo D1 or Samsung 931) are the way to go with the HT1000.

--Darin

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,081 Posts
I used the RP82 (newer Panasonics should work as well) in progressive mode. While they both have DCDi/Sage chip, I find that the black borders do not dither the mirrors using the DVD player in progressive mode. Yes, this disables Sweetvision, but find the picture as good or better using the RP82 in 480p, especially with no black bar noise. I save the NEC Sweetvision for none progressive sources.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I prefer the picture on a JVC S500 set to interlaced and I had a RP82. There's nothing wrong with the RP82 I just liked all the extra setting options when using an interlaced signal. There's more than just sweetvision you also have Brightness and Contrast enhancements. But anyway the Digital DVD players have such a solid picture that I don't mind giving up the many extra features.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I first used the Sony S7700 interlaced player with the HT1000 and was really disappointed.The picture was grainy, dark and just not up to my expectation. I then switched to a cheap Pioner DV-355 inerlaced player and the picture was much better, really watchable and very decent. Then egged on by all the rave reviews I bought the RP82 and it's really the dog's bollocks :) The PQ now is vibrant, smooth and something I am very happy with for the time being.

I'm tempted with the new digital players but as I just paid considerable $$$ to get the component cables custom installed in my living room, I think I'm going to stick with this for a while before I do the DVI thing...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also observed the "black bar noise" problem with RP82 when set to interlace mode. When RP82 set to progressive mode, black bars are solid black.

I also have a Pioneer 344 interlaced DVD player. The interesting thing is that I get solid black bars from the interlaced output of this Pioneer player!

I am wondering why the RP82 interlaced output has the black noise problem?

Joseph

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Re active black bars with the RP82, when you switch to interlaced try using the lighter/darker feature in the setup menu. If I remember right you use the darker.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Guitarman, it's only the USA models of the RP82 which have the lighter / darker setting, the Asian models do NOT have that setting...

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Hmmm, you'll hv to use the brightness control to darken until the bar dissapears.

How about Steve, does using the L/D setting help to stop the active mirrors?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with Tom on interlaced mode.

I am using the Panasonic RP56 in interlaced with Sweetvision enabled. Phenomenal picture...outstanding...absolutely blows me away.

Reese

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's good that we are all happy with the HT1000 :)

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guitarman
Hmmm, you'll hv to use the brightness control to darken until the bar disappears.

How about Steve, does using the L/D setting help to stop the active mirrors?
I found that I could not get rid of the dithering in the bars in 480i by adjusting the brightness or contrast. Besides, it took the settings out of VE spec. I see the dithering bars in interlaced with either setting. I initially had the RP82 set to darker on 480p, but changed it to 480i based on post by WP and others in another thread. Apparently, 480p Lighter (7.5 IRE) is the NTSC standard and gives you the best detail. Personally, I didn't really notice a difference on the NEC, but left it on Lighter per recommendations.

While I sacrifice the Sweetvision and other tweaks with 480p, I like the picture better with the RP82. The elimination of the annoying dithering in the bars is a big plus to me. Interesting that some other players don't have this problem, so I guess it really depends on the player/PJ combo, which makes sense.

My next step is try one of the new DVI players. What's the verdict on which DVI player is best with the HT1000? Samsung HD931, Bravo D1, or Momitsu V880? Tom?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Steve,

I would recommend the D1. Although I've had some problems with mine (making loud noises and locks up when I install certain DVDs) it seems to have some advantages over the 931. I took my HT1000 to a work event and decided to take the 931 instead of the D1 because of those problems. I was playing different shorts/clips and in the maybe 1 1/2 hours the image went to noise maybe 3 times. Looked like a loss of the HDCP stuff to me, but pressing the DVI setting button cleaned it up. I didn't remember what color meant 480p, 720, or 1080i so I just pressed it until things came back. It was a pain, though. I'm now concerned about whether we will end up with stable stuff when HDCP gets implemented further or if we will have to put up with stuff like this for a while.

--Darin

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Darin, thanks for the reply. Don't mean to steal this thread, but need to decide which DVI player works best with the NEC and Tom brought up the subject.....

What I've read so far is that the V880 is almost the same as the D1, but with some added features (region-free, etc.) and faster availability. I'd likely go with the V880 over the D1 for these, so the question comes down to which is better D1/V880 or the Samsung with the NEC? Are there any 720p or 1080i issues (snow, etc.) with either? Anyone? TIA...

Edit: I decided to open a separate thread on this issue, so please post responses there. Thanks.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=261263

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.