AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this proj is much less expensive these days, but figured some in here may have experience with it, specifically the anamorphic lens that is available as an option.

Even more specifically, how NEC's lens might compare to other commercially available lenses?

I have read that using NEC's lens causes a loss of deep blacks and some of the overall contrast. Is this true of other lenses?

I'd really like to see one in person before replacing my LT-150Z... anyone in the Knoxville TN area?

Cheers,

Gerald

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The anamorphic lens that was packaged with the HT1100 is an okay lens. There are definitely others that are better, but not in the same price range. It depends on what your budget is for an add on lens.

The HT1100 is still a great unit. Even though it is being phased out, it's worth a look for sure.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been thinking of replacing my LT150Z with a 16:9 projector for some time.

I was mainly intrigued by now sub 2k price, which might make HT1100 + anamorphic lens a valid option, as I do still watch a good deal of 4:3 material.

How would the PQ compare to some newer 16:9 projectors in the pricerange of say, the HT1100 w/ Panamorph?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoore
I've been thinking of replacing my LT150Z with a 16:9 projector for some time.

I was mainly intrigued by now sub 2k price, which might make HT1100 + anamorphic lens a valid option, as I do still watch a good deal of 4:3 material.

How would the PQ compare to some newer 16:9 projectors in the pricerange of say, the HT1100 w/ Panamorph?

Gerald..

I don't know of any HT1100 owners with or without a lens, but I do know an HT1000 owner, no lens.

Not sure if that would be any help, but might give you a small idea what to expect with the HT series of projectors.

I have an Optoma H77 DLP, if you are interested in seeing a 720p...

Andrew

·
Registered
20,118 Posts
I don't care what anyone says about XGA machines - the HT 1000 / 1100 throws a great picture, even with HDTV. It's a great deal at the new price. In fact, that's why I kept mine as a back up and a 4:3 machine with my H79.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoore
I have read that using NEC's lens causes a loss of deep blacks and some of the overall contrast.

Gerald
Gerold,

The HT1100 anamorphic lens will slightly decrease the ansi contrast and absolute black level. This is caused by the internal and surface reflections of the additional lens. However unless your projector is in a dark dedicated home theater the loss will hardly be noticeable. The typical off white-walls in a rec or living room have such a huge effect in black level and ANSI contrast that the small addition of the lens is in the noise.

As a side note, if your not using the anamorphic lens and want to make a noticeable improvement in black level and ANSI contrast paint the inside of the outer lens ring flat black. There is a lot of light spill refecting off the ring and onto the ceiling. If your ceiling is arctic white this simple modification will make an improvement.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Painting the inside of the lens could be very challenging to say the least. What about sticking a black liner? That would be less risky ;)

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Darken the lens ring, good idea. I'd cut some flexible plastic painted flat black and just snap it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.