AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might as well start a new thread specifically for the upcoming NEC L50W, for news, reviews, opinions and of course hype!

Specification

Native Resolution 1280 x 800 (WXGA)

Brightness 500 ANSI Lumen

Contrast Ratio 2500:1

Lamp LED Light Source (no lamp required)

Lens F= 1.5, f= 13.92 mm

Projection Factor 1.4 : 1

Projection Angle [°] 13.8

Projection Distance [m] 0.52 – 3

Screen Size (diagonal) [cm] Minimum: 43.2 / 17" ; Maximum: 254 / 100"

Focus Adjustment Manual

Supported Resolutions 1920 x 1080 (HDTV / 1086 i); 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA+); 1440 x 900

(WXGA); 1400 x 1050 (SXGA+); 1366 x 768 (WSXGA+); 1280 x 1024

(SXGA); 1280 x 960 (QVGA); 1280 x 800 (WXGA); 1280 x 768

(WXGA); 1280 x 720 (720 p); 1152 x 870 (MAC); 1152 x 864 (SXGA);

1024 x 768 (XGA); 800 x 600 (SVGA); 720 x 576 (576 i/p); 720 x 480

(480 i/p); 640 x 480 (VGA)

Frequency Horizontal: 30 – 100 kHz; Vertical: 50 – 85 Hz

CONNECTIVITY

RGB (analog) Input: 1 x Mini D-sub 15-pin, compatible to component (YPbPr)

HDMI® Input: 1 x HDMI® (Deep Color, Lip sync)

Video Input: 1 x RCA

Audio Input: 1 x 3.5 mm Stereo Mini Jack

USB 1 x Type A (USB 2.0 high speed); 1 x Type B

Video Signals PAL; PAL60; NTSC; SECAM; NTSC 4.43; PAL-N; PAL-M

SD Card yes

REMOTE CONTROL

Remote Control Audio Control; Auto Adjust; Digital Zoom; Source Select

ELECTRICAL

Power Supply 100-240 V AC; 50 - 60 Hz

Power Consumption [W] 105 Normal Mode; 70 Eco Mode; 0.5 Stand-by Mode

MECHANICAL

Dimensions (W x H x D) [mm] 226 x 43 x 174 (without lens and feet)

Weight [kg] 1.2

Fan Noise [dB (A)] 32 / 38 (Eco / Normal)

ERGONOMICS

Safety and Ergonomics CE; ErP; TÜV GS; RoHS

Speakers [W] 1 x 2 (mono)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Psychic predictions:

• The resolution accepted as "native" by the projector is 1280x800.

• It's just as loud as the Acer and Optoma (looking at the case the cooling setup appears to be identical.)

• It has the same focus and chromatic abberation "issues" (very subjective).

• The built-in player has the same issue as all the others.

• Your wallet will be significantly lighter.

It is however very sexy looking, unlike my Acer which looks like a chinese knockoff of an Apple product. It also has the least amount of inputs/outputs. Maybe they should list that under ergonomics. No pesky ports sticking out!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley /forum/post/21043293

Psychic predictions:

• The resolution accepted as "native" by the projector is 1280x800.

• It's just as loud as the Acer and Optoma (looking at the case the cooling setup appears to be identical.)

• It has the same focus and chromatic abberation "issues" (very subjective).

• The built-in player has the same issue as all the others.

• Your wallet will be significantly lighter.

It is however very sexy looking, unlike my Acer which looks like a chinese knockoff of an Apple product. It also has the least amount of inputs/outputs. Maybe they should list that under ergonomics. No pesky ports sticking out!

Well if it's more sharper than the others, and no start up focus issues and the rest the same... then I'll probably be sold.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine0 /forum/post/21043418

Well if it's more sharper than the others, and no start up focus issues and the rest the same... then I'll probably be sold.

when you believe zol.com the hottest fan exhaust should be nowhere near the (plastic) lens, so no focus issues.

in my opinion the biggest issue till now with the nex gen led pjs is the ca. for me its fine if the picture is a little bit softer if there are no artifacts or in this case colored edges.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
these are all built on the same "platform" -same lens ,led, powersupply ,fans,dlp chip and same layout and I assume its all mounted on a main board and droped in different cases with I/O boards and switch boards being plugged in the main board.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf /forum/post/21043586

Anyone know the tentative price for the NEC??

in germany it is listed at 599 which is about 810$.

because of the focus slide i am wondering if the range of it is big enough to focus pictures which go bigger than the 100" (max diagonal from specs).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle /forum/post/21045298

in germany it is listed at 599 which is about 810$.

because of the focus slide i am wondering if the range of it is big enough to focus pictures which go bigger than the 100" (max diagonal from specs).

Sounds like a terribly loud and expensive projector:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/NEC-L50W.htm

Now what's the real difference between this new NEC and the existing Casio laser LEDs?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Casio-XJ-A140.htm

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 /forum/post/21045350

Now what's the real difference between this new NEC and the existing Casio laser LEDs?

casios hybrid is not able to show blue colors. its all like purple. it has a color wheel which leads to rbe and early failure because of the mechanical part

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle /forum/post/21045372

casios hybrid is not able to show blue colors. its all like purple. it has a color wheel which leads to rbe and early failure because of the mechanical part

You will get the RBE on the NEC too.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
So after all this negative aspects, and it being only 500 lumen... what is the main positive aspect for this projector? I'm sincerely asking this question by the way. Am curious as what is the strength of this unit?

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDudley /forum/post/21048275

You will get the RBE on the NEC too.

besides the negative aspects of the 500 lumen range theres one very positive:

everyone is reporting very little to none rbe. the leds seem to cycle fast enough

on casios its still very noticable because of the wheel for green cycling relatively slow

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
annoying RBE effect so few its a non issue.
Quote:

depends on which one(there are 23 versions)but out of the top I would say thousands of lumens, better lenses, power zoom on some, a .7 dlp 1280x800 on some(they have .6 1024x768 also) a 3 year waranty.Most like the led ml500 but my casio xja240 gets the most attention.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle /forum/post/21045298

I'm just speculating, but I would think it would be similar to the Acer. You can't just keep turning the lens on that either. It has a limited range. The Acer does go past 100" though, even though the manual lists the projection size as 30-80" (which seems reasonable to me brightness wise.) I don't have the space to go past 110", so I don't know just how far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis_bickle /forum/post/21049506

everyone is reporting very little to none rbe. the leds seem to cycle fast enough

I have never seen a Casio so I don't know how bad it is. There is definitely a RBE on the Acer though. I didn't notice it initially, but I can see it if I make fast eye movements and it's dark. Not an issue for me, but it obviously doesn't switch fast enough to eliminate it completely. I don't know what it would be like for someone who was very sensitive to it.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpchange21 /forum/post/21048543

So after all this negative aspects, and it being only 500 lumen... what is the main positive aspect for this projector? I'm sincerely asking this question by the way. Am curious as what is the strength of this unit?

2500:1 contrast ratio

Video files supported include MJPEG (AVI), MPEG2, H.264 (AVI, MOV, MP4, 3GP) and WMV

I like that I could take my SDHC card from my camera and stick it in the projector for a quick slideshow of the days shots and video.

Built-in wall color correction presets provide for adaptive color tone correction to display properly on non-white surfaces

Carbon savings meter calculates the positive effects of operating the projector in ECO Mode, which is encouraged by an optional message at startup

Sounds cool

10-step magnification with location control allows you to zoom in on key information

Would this be for powerpoint type presentations?

2-year limited parts and labor warranty, education customers receive an additional year on their warranty, and Star Student customers receive an additional 2 years

Tells me they expect it to last at least 2 years

Also wondering what Advanced AccuBlend and AutoSense are?

(they were listed under additional features for this projector on one site)

I looked up the answer for you

Advanced AccuBlend technology automatically resolves the difference in resolution between source data and the images you project. With Advanced AccuBlend, you can project in SVGA using SXGA data, for example. The same technology makes zoom-in views smooth. Also, special algorithms protect text and thin horizontal lines during compression. Gain power, sacrifice nothing.

NEC's exclusive AutoSense

Technology automatically synchronizes and adjusts the protector to

optimize incoming computer and video signals, eliminating timeconsuming

manual adjustments.

Is the release date still sometime in October?

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
It'd be a plus if any of the available NEC software works with the L50W.
http://www.nec-display.com/dl/en/pj_...ip.html#ht1100

Desktop Control Utility 1.0"

Is software that operates the desktop screen of a personal computer at a remote location from the projector by using a network.

A commercially available USB mouse is connected to the projector to operate the personal computer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDugS9m3DUE&NR=1

eBeam Interactive

Like a USB mouse, using the electronic pen enables you to operate the personal computer.

Furthermore, assuming that the projector screen as a white board, any characters and figures can be drawn on it using the electronic pen.

Virtual Remote Tool

This is software for operating a projector connected by LAN (wired or wireless), serial connections (RS-232C) or computer connection cable (signal cable) from the computer.

The following projector operations are possible from the personal computer:

Power on / off

Input signal switching

Muting (temporarily disabling audio / video)

Freezing (locking the projected image)

Operating Remote Control

The logo image transmission
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OWws...feature=relmfu

1 - 20 of 51 Posts