AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Progressive Labs in cooperation with AV Science will begin offering a gamma calibration service for NEC LT 150 DLP projectors beginning the week of October 14th. This service will reflash the projectors eeprom with a proper gamma look up table to provide a perfectly uniform Gray scale calibrated to a D65 color temperature. Different gamma curves will be flashed into the projector in the RGB User 1 and RGB user 2 location (2.2 and 2.4) as well as into the Video User 1 and Video User 2 locations. The files will be made from highly accurate measurements taken via a calibrated McMahan LightSpex spectroradiometer.

A calibration report from the individual projector plotting color temperature vs IRE as well as brightness vs Ire, and contrast ratio will be included with the calibrated projector. The fee for the calibration service will be $350.00 with a guaranteed turn-around time of 48 hours.

For additional information regarding this service and to schedule an appointment please contact Progressive Labs at 201-342-1235 or email at [email protected] http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sounds interesting.

Can you expand your sales pitch:

How would you describe the improvement in picture quality after your mod? Do you have any snapshots that show before/after? Would you expect I'll be able to see the same curve with Mark's color analyer?

As an aside: if you could team up with Thumper and offer all the mods at once, that would be quite compelling.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
milori,

So how goes the "dilard" for LT-150's. Not to rain on ghibliss' parade, but It would be cool to have this as a package you could do at home. Who wants to be without their projector for 2 days shiping and 2 days for the calibration? I'd go nuts http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif Any chance of Progressive Labs offering this software for purchase?

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
733 Posts
It would be nice to have someone do a shootout between a newly calibrated LT150 and a stock LT150. Since I have three of these things I might be willing to part with one for a week and a half (customs and all) just to satisfy my curiosity. The suggestion concerning a combined "Thumperized" + calibrated (greyscale) LT150 would be the ticket IMO.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
855 Posts
Since you are advertising here, I'd like to ask a question or two here. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

If I understand your post, this service and the data generated/flashed is specific to the particular projector.

I'd like to understand the warrantee for this service. At $350 or ~20% of the projector price, it has a warrantee, right? Specifically, as the bulb wears and changes color, will I be able to get updates which take the new bulb color temp and spectrum into consideration? If so, for how long, for how much and how often? What about when I get a new bulb?

Thanks.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Huck -

I shouldn't speak for Cliff, but I can't imagine anyone will calibrate your projector and then "warranty" that if you get a new bulb, or your bulb degrades significantly, they'll recalibrate it for free...

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Mike - I agree. Unfortunately, these projector bulbs change from day to day and can see DRAMATIC changes in color temp in a month of use. They only last 1000 hours.

I would still appreciate an answer from the folks offering this service. Thanks. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Huck

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Perhaps different gamma curves could be set up for different stages in bulb life.

It would also be nice to have a gamma curve set for movies tending toward dark (not necessarily dark scenes).

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Their is no warranty on the calibration. The projector does not leave our facility unless it is correctly calibrated. The projector is calibrated utilizing a lamp that has "stabilized" to provide a consistent calibration result. The short arc Halogen lamps used in the LT 150 lose a significant amount of Red content in the first 50 hours of use. After this period of time has elapsed the projector lamp runs in a linear state and has only a gradual decline in intensity. Calibrating with a stabilized lamp will provide a projector with gamma look-up tables which are very accurate for approximately 95% of the lamps rated life expectancy. The color shift in the short arc Halogen lamp is approximately 400 degrees Kelvin. This is a big improvement over the previously used UHP lamps from older projectors such as the LT 100 series which had a color shift of close to 1800 degrees Kelvin.

The improved lamp utilized in the LT 150 projector combined with revised gamma look-up tables calibrated to D65 color temperature and two different gamma curves to select from in both RGB and Video (2.2 and 2.4) allows the user a very accurate display to view. The "Normal" gamma selection remains intact in the projector and can not be changed allowing the user to make a direct comparison to the new gamma tables that have been installed.

If any parties interested living in the New York Metro area would like to schedule a group demonstration of this upgrade to the LT 150 please contact me at my office so that we may do so at a time convenient for all. My office number is 201-342-1235.

·
Registered
733 Posts
A couple of questions - (1)if Thumper "Thumperizes" a LT150 does this change the gamma calibration and (2)why can't one tweak gamma using the gamma settings with the ATI player or the new version of WinDVD?

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It is more accurate to change the gamma tables in the projector. If you do it on the HTPC, you're working with a depth of 8 bits per channel. On the projector, there are 13 bits per channel. Fine color gradations will be smoother as a result.

You would want to have Cliff's calibration done AFTER any physical modifications to the projector.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grant,

As Mark stated you would want the calibration done to the projector after the "Thumper" modification. An additional reason for this is that the Thumper mod by reducing the light output level at 0 ire (Black) changes the Contrast and Brightness settings which the look up table works with.

[This message has been edited by ghibliss (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
855 Posts
Alrighty! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I didn't realize the lamps in LT150s were that stable in color temp after the first 50 hours. Do they also tend to be closer to each other, lamp to lamp, than the UHPs? For example, would I need another calibration after getting a different, 50 hour old, lamp?

Thanks for the information.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
ghbliss do you record each projector settings as defaults or document anywhere?

I had mine done early this year - while the gamma setting looks great - the first thing that happened is that the contrast/brightness/RGB settings got whacked in my own tweaking.

I never got the calibration reports you speak of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.