AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally broke down and went Front Projection to get a way too bulky RPTV out from between the front speakers.

The main goal was to improve the stereo imaging if you can believe it.

So yet another NEC LT-150 is now in use for home theater....

I have a few shots of the screen in my personal webspace, and will post just one on these pages.... No keep in mind that these shots are taken with a white bed sheet (usually used for photograph backdrops) as the screen. A Stewart GreyHawk 84" diagonal 4:3 is on order, and will replace the sheet in about two weeks... So the images will get better.

Source is the Onkyo DV-S939 -- yes it has the chroma bug but I haven't put any of Stacey's favorite material on to highlight it yet.

Here's the link:
http://www.mindspring.com/~kotches/my-system/nec-lt-150

And a shot of Glenn Frey from HFO:
http://www.mindspring.com/~kotches/m...frey-small.JPG

That's all I had time to shoot tonight, because I was enjoying the picture.

Yes Virginia I noticed lots o' rainbows. For the price, I can live with it!

Regards,

------------------

---

Editor, PC/Home Theater Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

[This message has been edited by John Kotches (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Welcome to the LT150 club John!

There have been varying reports of the LT150 and grey screens so I would be very interested in your opinion when you get your greyhawk.

Now get back to enjoying your new picture ^_^

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I just got my LT150 two days ago as well and have only played it on a white bed sheet using a non-progressive dvd player and a composite output. So this is probably the worst the picture could be, and I still think it looks awesome. So I can't wait to get my screen (blackout material) and finish up my HTPC. I'm sure this thing is going to rock. Tonight I halfway completed an expandable shelf that I can mount high on the wall instead of using a very expensive ceiling mount. It works like a charm and is 14" away from the wall when it is compacted and then it expands to 28" away from the wall. This is the only way I was going to be able to fit the screen on my wall. My room is 15' deep and in order to get a proper sized screen it the projector had to be at most 13' away. My setup also allows me, in a way, to have a zoom. I'll post pics when it is all done.

Oh and Congrats John. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Congratulations John. We would all be interested in your impressions of the LT150 with the greyhawk, so please update us with your impressions after you've had a chance to evaluate the combination.

------------------

John
My HT Picts

[This message has been edited by Wireless (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
733 Posts
John,

Those rainbows may disappear according to some who have now developed a partial "immunity" - so there is hope.

You might try a little experiment for the rest of us who have been debating the optimum screen for this little beast for the past five or six months. Please be so kind as to buy some "cheap" blockout (blackout) material and lay it over one half of your screen (screen width) once you have your grayhawk and then let us know how "white" compares with "gray". I tried to persuade Les to do this, but he is too caught up in the Panamorph fiasco. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frode and Wireless,

I read the conflicting information here, and got the advice of a few people who's opinion on video reproduction I respect highly, and talked it over with Stewart filmscreen....

With the exception of this forum, the results were unanimous for Greyhawk.

So I had some mild hesitation, and checked with a few knowledgable people before I made the sizable investment in the Stewart. I was going to go with a less expensive alternative, but in the end I decided to help the economy and buy the Stewart.

I also saw the reports that rainbows diminish over time as our brain learns to filter them out.....

It'll be interesting to say the least. This weekends project? Build a hushbox -- it's a noisy little sucker!

Regards,

------------------

---

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grant,

I'll see if I can run that experiment, but it'll be about 3-4 weeks from now. The screen is being manufactured and will ship on about 10/7.

It's a worthwhile suggestion, and I can do it pretty easily because it's a fixed screen....

OTOH, if I like the white screen better, I might cry http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Regards,

Regards,

------------------

---

·
Registered
599 Posts
hi,

i would add a request to do the blackout cloth test as well.

i've got mine stapled in front of verticle blinds directly into the sheetrock - ahhh, i didn't need to go in/out of those sliding glass doors anyway!

i've read this thread on screen material and i certainly wouldn't have tried anything else before the cheap blackout at $5.99 a yard. In fact, I'm considering splurging to the commericial screen material for $15.99 a yard.

And, after 2 weeks, i still haven't see a rainbow and am very glad to have this LT150.

best of luck with yours...

------------------

Jaymer...

----------------

AccessDTV (antenna on digital input, Tivo on analog)

HTPC, P3 933 (still having DVD playing probs)

NEC LT150 (awesome)

Homemade Blackout cloth screen (from Joann's Fabrics, $6 per yard)

·
Registered
31 Posts
John,

I'm also a new LT150 owner, delivered on Wed. A bought a roll of white craft paper to make a temp screen. But it sounds like a white sheet would do a better job until my screen comes. Does the image on the white sheet look pretty deceit?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff,

I talked to my video guru (Stacey) and he recommended the GreyHawk.

Thanks for the support folks!

Regards,

------------------

---

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Glossy white tileboard from Home Depot is surprisingly good as no hot spotting from my viewing positions luckily. The tileboard was superior to the natural blackout fabric which was not as bright so I think I am in the Hi Power category.

Let us know how the white sheet vs the greyhawk compares.

Rainbows don't appear to be a problem with me or the family after a couple of weeks of viewing http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by hardwired (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
John,

I suspect you will be happy with the Greyhawk. I have a Da Lite High Power 4:3 retractable and underneath it a slightly less than matte custom 16:9 screen.

The High Power looks good, but I only use it for cable, sports and lazy viewing.

For DVDs I roll it up and use the 16:9 screen. It improves the blacks significantly.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Photos

Today's Equipment List

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jason Turk (AVS), Mark Hunter(Milori, Dilard), and I (nothing special :) have all indicated that the LT150 looks better on the grayhawk than most other screen material. I don't think any of us have had the opportunity to see the Dalite High Power though.

jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.