Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

last Saturday i was testing the LT 150 with my HTPC by a good dealer.

He said, that the picture quality was so impressive, as good with the Grand Cinema Projektor HT200 and 250 from Seleco.

What do you think? Is that really true?

I am thinking to bay the LT 150.

Please let me now.

------------------

this is really a great Forum.

Richard

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think it's definitely possible. Seleco did design and manufacture their own light engine, but the chip is still the same. You can probably get that kind of performance at a lower price than the Seleco, the market for the LT150 is much more competitive so the price will be better.

I've seen the HT250 up close for an quite a while, and it's very good for a 1-chip, but I don't think its unique. The colour and contrast was very good though. I think the LT150 is supposed to be just as good in contrast.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
4,411 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
The Seleco is a wonderful unit. I've seen it with a good proscan DVD player. When you see the LT150 with the same DVD player and realize it now costs 1/3 as much - it's a no brainer!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have seen both, and feel the colour saturation on the Selecos is still the best. Both units have great contrast. Other differences include the respective throw ratios, zoom, optical lens shift etc of the seleco. It also has more inputs and custom memories.

Of course if you are sensitive to rainbow, the LT150 is not a choice. The HT200DM has supposedly solved this problem, and apparently has even better blacks and colors because of the new color wheel.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I just got a Sanyo XP21N. They are available for $5500 now. Running with a Panasonic 91 DVD progressive scan player, and Greyhawk screen. For just over $7K that setup can't be beat for DVD playback and ease of use. The next projector to really watch out for is the Sharp XV9000.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Grant...

Speaking of rainbows I have finally managed to see what it looks like on the LT150 after violently shaking my head in a horizontal direction on a black on white background. What I saw was basically the three color bands of RGB slanted in what looked like a 20 degree angle off the horizontal axis.

I must say that I have never noticed it once since I started using the LT150 from day one on my DVD players.

But I do recall seeing that pattern (extremely bad) on the Infocus LP350/340 when I had them and was watching "MI2" during the dark scenes in the beginning of the movie. It was via my interlaced Toshiba 2200 DVD player using s-video connection to the LP. I didn't know what it was called backed then but now it all makes sense. When I saw it during MI2 I tried tweaking everything on the projector and it just won't go away completely.

In reference to what you say about the Seleco, I would reserve my judgement...the Seleco has effectively doubled the timing on the color feeds which means a large number of people should have less problem with rainbows on it than before...makes sense...it is like audio where the spec. says 20-17kHz but some people say they can hear the missing 3kHz from 17k to 20k. But if you bump the spec. to 20-20kHz then the only people that would complain is the ones that can hear beyond the 20kHz range.

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Good grief Grant! I wasn't slamming the LT150 at all! I was just pointing out the differences....and letting the poster decide! You LT150 owners are something http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I agree, if you don't see rainbows, the LT150 is the bargain of the century! A forum member and I may get together tonight to see both head to head. I have seen the LT150 using Toshiba 6200 on a plain jane DaLite screen, and my Seleco on a plain jane wall driven by a RP91 (which is a great dvd player!). Color-wise, the LT150 is very good, and I would say 80-90%% of the Seleco. Contrast and black level on both is very good! I still think the reds on the Seleco are unparalleled, as have many stated. Not to say by any means the LT150 is a bad picture! Considering the cost, it is a no-brainer.

About rainbows, I never saw one till when I saw the LT150...I am wondering now if that is what spoiled my current HT200 experience, as I never saw it on 2 Selecos viewed prior to the LT150. However, AVS has been very gracious to me and has offered a good solution. I definitely am in the minority rainbow-wise, but it drives me crazy. I too have watched Sleepy Hollow and MI2 as my "rainbow tests." It is very obvious to me on track 3 of both. (the dark flamenco dance in MI2). According to Smitty, check gladiator in the candlelit scenes and it will appear obvious if you are sensitive. I am to the point, where I can't go 1 minute without seeing one. Everytime I take my eyes off the screen practically, I see it. I have tried all sorts of solutions, but to no avail. Bottom line is I wish I wasn't sensitive!

And concerning the DM fixing the rainbow, we will see soon!

As far as cost goes, an LT150 + Panamorph + HTPC is closer to the DM + Prog. Scan than one might think. Reason I include the HTPC, as with the native XGA resolution and inputs, a scalar of some sort would be warranted. The DM is optimized for 480p and while it will work even better with a scalar, doesn't require one for native 16:9 mode.

Anyways, just my 2 cents, and I could be wrong!

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you want to see rainbows a plenty, check out X-Men on DVD. The DVD looked fantastic on my now returned LT150, but I couldn't help but see rainbows throughout the film. To be fair, I may see rainbows worse than others due to my fairly large (110" 16x9) high gain (2.0) screen.

I really wanted to like the LT150. Really! But forgetting for a minute that it cost "only" $3K and the fact that I certainly wouldn't accept this from a more expensive machine, this defect was just unacceptable. $3K is still a lot of money for something that I doubt I would ever be %100 satisfied with. I would urge potential buyers to think long and hard about this.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KeithR:
I have tried all sorts of solutions, but to no avail. Bottom line is I wish I wasn't sensitive!

And concerning the DM fixing the rainbow, we will see soon!
I have a theory that there is a "variance" in LT150 timing/caliberation/parts that cause it to be more apparant on some units than others.

Of course, the only way to prove this is if you have seen several LT150's in a similar setting.... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

·
Registered
733 Posts
Kind of begs the question, doesn't it? If the new Selecos have solved the "rainbow" issue what do all the people who have bought the "old" units do (like three or four months old)? Does Seleco have a policy to upgrade their "old" units at minimum cost to the consumer? If they don't they should have! If they do then hats off to Seleco.

We can argue until we're blue in the face about whether the Seleco, Dwin etc. or LT150 has better colour etc. One thing is for sure - considering the difference in cost we shouldn't be having this discussion!

Keith, when you saw the Seleco and LT150 were you comparing apples to apples - same type of screen (and similar size), same scaler, and both tweaked properly? If I recall you complained vociferously on this forum about the rainbow you were seeing with your Seleco!

The LT150 + the best HTPC + the Hipower costs literally a fraction of what the Seleco costs (and that's the SVGA version of the Seleco) in Canada. If the Seleco had wowed me I would have bought one on the spot. If I saw the value in a G90 I would have one of those as well! I sure saw the value in the LT150! That's why I've ordered another one - dollar cost averaging! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Everyone has their own take on things and I respect that! You have to see for yourself and let's be fair - compare apples with apples. The LT150 can now be "had" for under $3,000.00 U.S. - best value I know of in HT. It allows those who simply couldn't normally afford it to have a HT that they can enjoy and be proud of - that's what it should be all about - No?

Only two people out of many have ever seen rainbow on my LT150 when hooked into my HTPC and that was my son and a forum member from Toronto. I specifically asked my son to look for it in the "worst" scenes in Gladiator. He said he wouldn't have noticed it if I had told him what to look for and that the little he saw of it didn't bother him. The forum member who also said he saw some bought a LT150 - couldn't have bothered him very much (Hi Warren)! I have seen it twice with a proscan DVD player hooked in.

Guaranteed that somone on this forum will see rainbow with the new Selecos - that's just the way it is. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers,

Grant

May the forum be with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.