AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a room (13'x25') for which I would like to purchase a DLP projector. I would like to place the projector at or near the rear of the room, and would like a screen of around 130"-150". I am considering either an NEC LT-150 (approx $2500-$3000) or a Sharp XV-Z9000 (approx $9000). Could someone on this board please comment on

1. The benefits of spending $6000 more on the XV-Z9000, or any other high priced DLP (is it the resolution, brightness..?)

2. What is the price of a replacement lens on these two projectors.

Thanks

Vas

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Just thought I'd let you know that you can get the Sharp at around the $7k mark. For more info email me for details.

So the difference is now $4k. Now are you going to use the projector on a 16:9 Screen? If the answer is yes than with the Sharp you will not need the addition of a ISO or Panamorph lens etc as the Sharp is the 1st DLP projector to have a native 16:9 panel. Do you have to use a PC with the LT-150? If so you will not need a PC for the Sharp as the Sharp from many reports around (just use the search function) will provide a great picture out of the box. Are you sensative to rainbows? In any case the best thing is to see both projectors together using the same source playing the same movie and decide for yourself. As for the replacement lens prices I don't know. However ask for a replacement lamp price and that I can roughly give you.

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It is a bit spiteful to say the LT150 requires a PC and a panamorph lens. A Sharp would gain as much as the LT150 by the use of an HTPC. The LT150 looks great out of the box also. The 16:9 panel is nice, but the XGA panel on the LT150 is still capable of displaying every piece of information off a DVD, without a panamorph. The Sharp will display quite a bit more information on HDTV material though. The Sharp does have much less rainbow effect, for those senstive to it. And the Sharp has a zoom lens which makes setup easier and more flexible. The LT150 can be easily gotten for less than $2500 though.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Then the question is how much better is the Sharp if you add the ISCO, have it "Thumperized" for lower black level and improved contrast to ~1100:1, "Cliffized" for 6500k color temp and proper grey scale tracking? Total cost for the above ~$4,500 including projector. Is the Sharp still $2,500 better?

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Quote:
It is a bit spiteful to say the LT150 requires a PC and a panamorph lens.
No spite at all. I am just stating what will be required to add to the LT150 which the Sharp 9000 already has.

Quote:
A Sharp would gain as much as the LT150 by the use of an HTPC.
From what I have read on this forum I would have to disagree.

Quote:
The 16:9 panel is nice, but the XGA panel on the LT150 is still capable of displaying every piece of information off a DVD, without a panamorph.
The statement I made above is based on whether the poster would be using a 16:9 screen or not as I posted above.

Quote:
The Sharp does have much less rainbow effect, for those sensitive to it. And the Sharp has a zoom lens which makes setup easier and more flexible.
To that I would agree. Most people have posted that the rainbow issue is a non issue on the Sharp with its 6x wheel.

Quote:
The LT150 can be easily gotten for less than $2500 though.
Sounds great if that is what you are after.

Quote:
Then the question is how much better is the Sharp if you add the ISCO, have it "Thumperized" for lower black level and improved contrast to ~1100:1, "Cliffized" for 6500k color temp and proper grey scale tracking? Total cost for the above ~$4,500 including projector. Is the Sharp still $2,500 better?
John that is why I say for the poster to go see both for himself and to decide for himself since he will be the one watching the projector. He can also factor in whether the rainbows that people witness on the LT-150 will bother him or not. Does the poster want to go to the trouble of adding and fitting an external device such as a ISCO (just one more thing that can go wrong) Also since you are getting it "Thumperized" you are voiding your LT-150 warrantee. What is a warrantee worth to you? Also there is no zoom on the LT-150 so not as much flexibility. There is the LT-150's 1000 hour lamp life compared to the Sharp's 2000 hours therefore more globes to go through on the LT-150. A quieter fan on the Sharp XV-Z9000U/E. 5 Separate Inputs on the Sharp XV-Z9000 with 2 sets of Component inputs.

You asked "Is the Sharp still $2,500 better?" To that the answer for me is a most definite yes.

Spero D.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am baffled as why you think you must have a panamorph to display on a 16:9 screen. I dsiplay 4:3 projectors on 16:9 screens all the time without a panamorph.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
How do you display a native 4:3 projector on a 16:9 screen to fill up the screen fully using the full resolution of the 4:3 projector?

Spero D.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I would be wary of believing that the extra $$ for the Sharp will eliminate the rainbow. Although the new Yamaha and Sharp are better in this regard, they still have rainbow issues .

This isn't meant to be inflamatory. I just wanted to set expectations correctly. The Sharp looks like a great unit, with some nice features, but some folks are still reporting that rainbow can be seen. I think that the very nature of a spinning color wheel guarantees that the sensitive will see the effect.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Who said anything about using the full resolution of the panel? I can display every pixel of DVD information inside an XGA panel. The extra resolution of a 16:9 panel adds detail on HD material.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Milori I never said the rainbow issue had been eliminated. Just that most people whom have seen the projector say it is a non issue, much like the poster in the thread you referenced to. Also the post you refer to, as I have seen this post also here, is one of the few ones that notice it still on the Sharp. As I say see the unit for yourself and decide.

Spero D.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. I will probably get a 16:9 screen

2. My prmary use of the projector is for DVD and regular TV (cable/satellite) viewing. I dont intend to hook it up to a PC for games, etc. I might eventually want to use a high definition signal over satellite (DISH TV). Are both projectors capable of handling such a signal. Do either or both of the projectors have a builtin line doubler ?

3. I am not clear on what you mean by "rainbow". Do you mean that each pixel will have a rainbow around it on the NEC?

4. Would either projector be able to throw the picture 25 ft?

5. I would like to take Spero's advice and take a look at these projectors. Can anyone recommend a reatiler in the NY/NJ area?

Vas

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Grant- Good post and well put. However I am sure that as soon as the Sharp ramps up its shipping on the XV-Z9000 projector you will also find enthusiasts discussing where to get the cheapest globe, the best settings etc like they do for the Sony 10HT, and other projectors that are discussed both on this forum and others. So it isn't just the LT-150 that has an information/user base.

Spero D.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Spero, you're absolutely right and that is what makes this section of the forum so much fun. This is, I think, the liveliest section as well and the most controversial - in other words the most entertaining (at least for me). There are so many innovators that live here. Ever notice how many people post about screens, DVD players or HTPCs etc. here - why? The reason is because this is where their posts will get seen and responded to. Hats off to those who frequent and contribute to the digital section! This may not be the easiest section to administer, but it sure is the most exciting (Panamorph, Dell LT150, Runco bashing and so on). This section is just plain addicting. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Grant,

Be sure to post about the ISCO II as soon as you've had a few minutes to play with it. I'm about to order one myself and I'm keen to know what you think.

Jeff

·
Registered
733 Posts
Vas, I think to some extent it boils down to whether or not you're a hobbyist? If this is a hobby for you then the LT150 can be a lot of fun. I hope to have my ISCO II tomorrow and I will enjoy setting it up and playing with it. I also look forward to having my LT150 modified, just to see what improvements can be made. Also I am upgrading my version of WinDVD so I can tweak the gamma settings. It is also fun that some many have the LT150 and are trying so many things. I enjoy coming onto this forum to read the latest and greatest about this projector - ie. free carrying bag, where to buy a bulb for the cheapest price, somebody's new settings or experiments with serial cables, how it works with different screens, gamma modifications, possibility of have it Thumperized and so on. How do you put a price on that!

If all you want to do is set up a projector, turn it on and get a good picture then get the Sharp. You'll probably like the image right out of the box, you wouldn't feel compelled to upgrade for awhile - at least six months http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif -and you can go back to your life. Will you have a better picture - probably, but some who have the LT150 who have seen the Sharp (Les Arrow) didn't think it was appreciably "better" to upgrade to and that black levels were pretty comparable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you're not a tweaker then save yourself some aggravation and get the Sharp - probably no rainbow, has a zoom for easy setup, will be quieter, longer bulb life and will have better internal processing thus eliminating the need for an external scaler (depending on your expectations) etc.

I have to say that the image I am getting from the LT150 + AVS HTPC + Da-lite Hi-power + masking system (in a calibrated room) with some of the latest DVDs is dropping my jaw all over again! This little projector has become a "tweakers" dream with the modifications being offered or about to be offered.

From my perspective how can you go wrong - both of these projectors are cabable of absolutely great images. I have only seen the posted screen shots from the Sharp and wow! I know what the LT50 is capable of - wow!

No matter which projector you ultimately decide upon make sure you try several different screens before you select one. The screen will make a substantial difference in overall PQ - don't sell your projector short by getting talked into a screen the vendor is going to make the most money on.

As usual, don't believe a word I write. This post is for entertainment purposes only, or not.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
855 Posts
The LT150 will throw a 184.5" WIDE picture from 25'. This is larger than your 13' wall. I don't see how it can work.

The Sharp 9000 with throw a 179" diagonal (13' wide at 16:9 aspect) from ~22' to ~30' so it would work for a maximum sized screen in your environment. If you have a smaller screen size in mind, put the numbers into the equations found in the Sharp manual that Spizz put into this post. Alternatively, post your screen size here and someone will calculate it for you. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

If you can make it to Rochester, NY, try to arrange a visit to the host of this forum ( www.AVScience.com ). Their phone numbers and address are on their web page. They are supposed to get a Sharp projector soon and have sold many LT150s.

EDIT: DOH! At 25', the Sharp will throw an image between 151.5" and 205.32" diagonal.

------------------

Huck

[This message has been edited by Huckster (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw the Sharp 9000 today, and was very impressed. I need to find some place that has the NEC LT-150, so I can make my final decision. Thanks, Spizz + others

Vas

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way, any suggestions on a good screen (electric)for the Sharp? I'm looking for a screen around 130".

Vas

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.