AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying this, this forum is an absolutely incredible source of information. I've been lurking for several weeks soaking up as much as possible.

Anyway, it looks like I've got 100% WAF for a front projection system in the main family room. Ever since she gave me the thumbs-up I've been frantically gathering information, taking measurements, and gathering prices on equipment. In a nutshell, here's what I'm looking at:

(1) 7'-9' Fixed Throw Distance (Coffee Table Mount)

(2) Approx. 14' Viewing Distance

(3) 50% DVD 25% HDTV 25% NTSC

(4) Lots and Lots of Ambient Light (most viewing at night though)

DVD viewing will most likely be done through HTPC and all HDTV and interlaced video will be through Dish 6000.

Here's where I need a little help. 4:3 or 16:9? I'm leaning heavily towards a 64"x48" High Power Da-Lite manual pull down because it's cheap and I can fill the screen with 4:3 material. I watch a lot of sports and I want maximum viewing for this.

Also, if anybody out there has the LT150 + Dish 6000 - Does the 6000 need a line doubler for non-HDTV material? Does anyone have a screen pic of say, an ESPN game from a Dish 6000 shown through an LT150?

Here's a picture of my living area. The pull-down screen will be mounted to the top of the built-in shelving. BTW, the 32" Proscan TV on the right will stay for daytime viewing.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mattchoo_....jpg%26.src=ph

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mattchoo_....jpg%26.src=ph

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Welcome Mattchoo!

Regarding the screen issue it really depends on your preference, but it sounds likely maybe you answered your own question. If you're primarily concerned with sports and your source for that, NTSC or OTA HDTV, is 4:3 then the 4:3 screen is the way to go.

I have an NEC LT100 XGA DLP projector that I use with the Dalite High Power 16x9 manual pull down screen. I'm primarily concerned with DVD and HDTV movies from my Dish 6000 receiver, so the 16x9 ratio works for me.

When in high def mode the 6000 receiver scales the standard definition material to fit on a 16x9 screen. You then have the option of keeping the content in it's orignal aspect rato on the screen, or using various stretch or zoom functions.

Having said that, the de-interlacing performed by the 6000 on the standard definition stuff is quite horrible. I don't think I'm being overly picky here either. If you're going to use a 4x3 screen, I'd connect the s video output of the 6000 and use the internal de-interlacer/scaler of the lT150 for NTSC content.

I believe the LT150 has an option to turn off the acublend feature, which otherwise automatically scales the incoming signal to the projector's XGA resolution. With acublend off you might be able to show the standard NTSC feed from the 6000 receiver using the s video connection in the middle of a 16x9 screen.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying Steve.

Yea, you're right I did answer my own question, but it's nice to hear someone affirm the choice. I will just have to devise some sort of masking solution for 16:9 stuff. No big deal.

I'm pretty excited about getting a Dish 6000 unit and finally being able to enjoy CBS and all the other HD channels that Dish has to offer. Does the LT150 connect to the 6000 unit with a component to VGA breakout or straight VGA to VGA connection? The latter would be perfect since the LT150 has only (1) HD input.

Have you tried running the SD material from the 6000 into an HTPC and deinterlacing it with dScaler? That is most likely what I'll be doing for all SD viewing.

I can't wait to get this equipment ordered and set up. What size screen are you using? I got a reasonable quote from Jason at AVS. Is that where you got yours?

Matt

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just glad to help.

The 6000 has both component and vga outputs, so you can connect directly with the vga output of the 6000 to the vga input of the LT150.

I haven't tried using a HTPC yet, but it's just a matter of time. I've pushed the wife acceptance factor to the limit right now, and need to slow down on the purchases and make the system easy to use again.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
With ambient light, 800 lumens of LT150 may not be enough. It's fine with dim lighting or best if pitch dark.

Deinterlacer and scaler is mediocre in LT150 so if you do a lot of interlace video, I'd get a good deinterlacer like DVDo or better (Quadscan, Rock, etc.) Other PJ may do a better job at deinterlacing (Infocus is known to have better deinterlacer, Plus Piano has DVDo doubler built-in but may not be bright enough--450 lumens requires pitch darkness, Sony and Sharp are also slightly better than LT150 at deinterlacing). HTPC and Dscaler do a good job at deinterlacing strong signals but won't do miracles for weaker stations. YMMV but most have been as happy with HTPC and Dscaler as with an external scaler using Iomagic PVR Svideo capture card and Dscaler. It won't be as easy to use as an external doubler.

If you watch alot of NTSC in ambient light, HD ready RPTV will give you the best image. In the dark and with progressive signals like HDTV or DVD, LT150 will be great. At 9 feet throw distance the diagonal will be around 80" diagonal. Hipower screen will help the brightness of LT150 for ambient viewing ($250-300 for manual pull-down type from Dalite). You may want to look at brighter XGA w/ MLA LCD like the Sharp XP21N with 2500 lumens and priced under 5K. This should satisfy your NTSC needs in daytime more than LT150. For 5K you can get a 70" HD ready RPTV also with better performance in NTSC daytime.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A thousand thanks fellas. This is good stuff!

It sounds like I'm on the right track, from what you're saying. If I do the screen calc's, I should have a nice bright picture since most viewing will be done at night. The HTPC will definitely be going in to deinterlace those SD games and other interlaced content. Correct me if I'm wrong:

(800 Lumens/((64"x48")/144)) * 1.8 Gain = 67.5 ft-L

With a 25% fudge factor on the brightness that leaves - 50.625 ft-L

I would definitely consider a brighter projector if I intended to do very much daytime viewing, but I'll just leave the old analog TV set hooked up instead.

Thanks again, and I'll post some screenshots of the deinterlaced video from my HTPC with the Dish 6000 when I get everything set up.

p.s. YMMV = ?

Matt

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Your screen calculations are correct, but I believe the gain on the high power screen is 2.8. There is plenty of debate regarding screen size and material. Personally, I'm partial to the high power material, and I've owned a couple Da-lite screens and haven't had any problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.