AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting the NEC LT150 and although I have read previous posts on the subject, I'm still a little confused.

I plan to use it with a Panasonic RP91 with a VGA breakout cable and will have it mounted (fixed ceiling)10-11 feet away from the screen.

I watch a mix of both 4:3 and widescreen DVDs and I'm a bit confused as to which screen format I should get. I understand that if I use a 4:3 screen, the PJ will project 4:3 using the full screen and if I use widescreen material, the PJ will letterbox (just like a regular TV). What I don't understand is what my options are if I use a 16:9 screen. Can I get the PJ to project an undistorted 4:3 image properly on the screen? Will the 16:9 image be letterboxed?

The only locally available fixed-mount screens are all 4:3 so if a widescreen makes more sense, I'll probably just use paint.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The RP91 does have the scaling that you need to display 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen, but I remember hearing issues on compatibility of the RP-91 and LT150. I would search the forum on this this first.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
afterglow,

i find this player has more adjustability with placement than seems to get mentioned.

you can also toggle between native and auto mode

some people only seem to recommend the auto but i find native to great for 4:3.

i don't have mine ceiling mounted, but with slightly different placements and elevations from the floor and then using the pj's foot to make those final adjustments, i can pretty easily size up any aspect ratio to exactly fit the horizontal boundaries of my 2:35 screen. there is a bit of keystone distortion, but when the sides are masked off, believe me, no one will ever notice this.

this may take some thought and a little more work up front, but if i were ceiling mounting this, i would try to make a slideable track w/ a adjustable drop pole.

but then thats just me. not too many people here seem to be interested in constant height/ variable width.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'd love a constant-height setup, but I don't think it's practical with the LT-150. I don't think it's reasonable to pick up your projector and move it back and forth every time your aspect ratio changes.

I built a 16:9 screen for my LT-150, but I'm finding this to be a significant limitation. Mine will be ceiling mounted, and I'm not going to build a ceiling mount with a sliding track, adjustable pole, etc., and have to re-adjust everything whenever the aspect ratio changes.

Therefore, for my permanent installation I'll probably tear up my 16:9 screen and build a 4:3 screen with a home-brew electric masking system that I'm in the process of designing.

One possible option would be to be to use a 16:9 screen with an ISCO II lens. But I've never used that lens, so I don't know if the image would shift up or down, or what.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Ditto for the 4:3 screen for the 4:3 projector, especially if you are using a HTPC and the Windows default 4:3 desktop.

I use variable masking for my 4:3 screen and it improves widescreen movie presentation - however, when the doorbell rings and I need to pause the movie, the control panel applet window usually ends up in the black masking area, very hard to see.

I'm thinking now that I would only use a 16:9 screen with a 16:9 projector, or with a 4:3 projector and an anamorphic lens, to avoid such problems. I hope to afford such a lens before my next house, to go with a constant height setup for both 16:9 and 4:3 AR's.

Gary

·
Registered
733 Posts
For anamorphic DVD set your DVD player to 16:9 and the LT150 to cinema mode (go to the advanced menu - look it up in the manual page E-37) and you will obtain a very good image. If you want better then purchase an ISCO II or Panamorph lens!

For the best settings for the RP91 see the DVD Hardware section of the forum - lots on this DVD player.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.