AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys which is better I have read the reviews and their is about a few hundred dollar difference between the two. I know the Nec cant zoom but is suppose to have better picture quality. It also only has a 1000 hrs of life on the bulb vs 2000. How much are the bulbs and are they covered under warrenty? The room will have no windows so the room will be dark with little lighting. Mostly used for DVD or Satalite. Any help is appreciated.

[This message has been edited by jmeitz (edited 05-10-2001).]

· Registered
5,574 Posts
This is not an apples-to-apples comparison.

The NEC LT150 is XGA and streets for over 4K.

The Infocus LP340 is SVGA and streets for around $2700.

A closer comparison would be between the NEC and the Infocus LP350.

Dealing with the choice that you stated, I would prefer the NEC LT150 to the Infocus 340 if I ignored the price difference.

If price were important to me, I would prefer the LP340. It is clearly the value leader in HT PJ's.

The decision between the NEC LT150 and the more comparable but more expensive Infocus LP350 is harder to make and requires careful viewing IMHO. I have seen both but I have not compared them directly. I suspect that I would find the Infocus 350 has better video processing but that the color and contrast on the NEC LP150 are better. This is just a casual impression however, and your opinions may vary.

· Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:

The NEC LT150 is XGA and streets for over 4K.
You may be unaware of the recent dramatic price drop for the NEC LT150. A number of dealers are selling them new for about $3,250. to $3,300. Infinity Micro's price is reported to be $3,262.79 delivered. That is the cheapest XGA DLP I have seen on the market and the LT150 is highly recommended for home theater use by Projector Central.

Christopher

· Registered
5,574 Posts
Christoper,

I just looked at projectorcentral.com's pricing before I made my post; the lowest I saw there was over 4K.

For $3200 the NEC LT150 is the best bargain in HT PJ's, even better than the Infocus LP340. I would definitely get the LT150 for that price.

· Registered
51 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the non-zoom function on the LT150. What exactly does this mean and why is it a drawback?

Other than that, it sure sounds like a great projector.

· Registered
855 Posts
It means the size of the image is dependant ONLY on the distance from the projector to the screen. If you calculate wrong and/or mount the projector in the wrong spot, you get to pull it down and do it again. If the projector has even a small zoom, there is more room for errors and flexibility in mounting.

Of course, if you are using it as a portable projector, this isn't as big of a deal.

I remember seeing a thread with a web site offering the LT-150 at ~$3200 but can't find it now. Anybody know what hole that thread disappeared into? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

EDIT: Well, the search feature came back up and I found this reference but the thread is gone. Bummer.

[This message has been edited by Huckster (edited 05-10-2001).]

· Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by otaku:
Just go to www.shopper.com and search on "LT150". You'll find a list of several more computer oriented dealters and their prices. (this is where I looked before I ordered one)

DB
Software Plus, Infinity Micro, PC Nation all list their price for the LT150 at $3,250.

By this time next year I bet you will be able to buy a 9:16 LCD, DLP, or DILA 720 by 1280 unit for even less. It is all headed down to $1,000 projectors with 1,000 lumens or more.

Christopher

· Registered
634 Posts
That does look like a good deal on the NEC. However, nobody has mentionned that the 150 is 800 L vs 1300 L for the 340. It's been my experience that most projectors don't meet their lumen spec. Add to that the loss of lumens over time, and the 150 may be a bit anemic if the screen is more than about 6'.

------------------

Steve

· Premium Member
3,632 Posts
One other thing to consider. If your don't use an HTPC or a progressivescan DVD player or an outboard scaler, the 150 WILL NOT look as good as the 350 or the 340. The internal scaler in these units brings their value quite high in this price range if you consider this. That said if you can spend the extra $ on one of the above you will probably get a better picture.

Scott

(you don't want to see my picture)

· Registered
153 Posts
The bulb for the NEC LT150 is in the $475 range and it is only rated for 1000 hours. Possibly the biggest drawback for this projector. Since the price is down to $3300 I am thinking about getting one even with this drawback. I will only be projecting on a 5 to 6 foot screen (on the wall actually).

PeterF

· Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered it today and paid COD for it. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.