AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are two pages of screen shots taken of the NEC LT150 and the Sanyo XP21N taken side by side.
http://www.mohneyhomes.com/nec_lt150_vs_sanyo_xp21n.htm http://www.mohneyhomes.com/nec_lt150...nyo_xp21n2.htm

The first set was taken on a high power screen during the day with a fair amount of ambient light present. In this case the Sanyo had far better colors as the LT150 tended to be washed out.

The second set was taken on a Grewhawk during the night and all lights off. I probably could have tweaked the colors as the XP21N was a bit too red. On these shots though the LT150 colors become much closer. The Sanyo still colors were more vibriant, but the black levels on the LT150 were clearly better, particularly notice the THX logo shot. The LT150 though was almost black to a fault as details were lost, notice in the 5th shot in the woods. This darkness gave the LT150 a more movie-like quality that many people like. The Sanyo almost requires some ambient light to help its blacks look black.

The shots were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 990. I probably should have used a tripod as I am certain by hand-helding the camera I added some softness to the shots. Both LT150 and XP21N provide a very clear image. But overall the camera did an exceptional job in capturing the colors.

The projectors were fed from a Panasonic RP91 in non-progressive scan mode with component output fed to a Quadscan Elite scaled to XGA split with an active splitter to both projectors.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You want more black details on the LT150 switch over to Natural 2.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Frode:
You want more black details on the LT150 switch over to Natural 2.
I'll try that. I run the LT150 mostly in Natural 1.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Jonmx,

Please give some details on your comparison of the two screens.

Thanks.

------------------

Jim Story

Live long and Prosper

·
Registered
53 Posts
The whites seem really bright on the Sanyo. Do any XP21N owners have this problem when viewing? The whites seem too bright to watch...

Levi

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B., Levi....For darker scenes in space or night scenes the LT150 is more visually pleasent to watch. It has a more movie like quality. The extra light that bleeds through in the darker scenes on the Sanyo can be distracting. Masking and/or the addition of a bit of ambient light helps this.

For brighter scenes, I usually like the Sanyo image better, but there were some exceptions. In ambient light the Sanyo was the clear winner. If you plan on using your projector in ambient light, spending double the amount is worth it.

I can't say I spent much time tweaking either projector. I could have done better. Really to maximize performance you would have to almost tweak the projector differently based on the source/movie.

[This message has been edited by Jonmx (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to say the the 21N looks like a clear winner on either screen.

------------------

"let's build a home theater in the basement" What seemed like such an innocent statement has turned into a $40K project...sigh...

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Tripod would have been a help.

From my experience, the differences shown here seem to be the result of differences in the contrast ratio, brightness, and then color. And pretty much in that order. I guarantee there is a lot less light in the room with the 150, regardless of the conditions, and this affects the black level of the pictures. I think the real life reaction of your eye is different than the camera's for black level, as discussed on Bob Wood's thread.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the second set of pics!

These are my impressions of the pics.

In the pics, the Sanyo clearly looks better. With the exception of the THX logo shot the LT150 appears that it produces its blacks from a lack of brightness. Meaning that it looks like a TV that has had its brightness control turned to far down. The Sanyo looks like it offers a better balance between bright and black.

The colors of the Lt150 are much improved in the second set but still look less accurate and washed out in certain shots when compared to the Sanyo.

The Sanyo does appear to have a little to much red and the whites seem a little hot.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:
Thanks for the shots.

Can you explain how they were taken? I'm a bit confused by the inverse images.
The Sanyo has the ability to reverse its image for a rear screen projection. I filled 1/2 of the screen with the LT150 then I mirrored the image on the other 1/2 with the Sanyo. I thought that would give the best comparison by having a mirror image displayed side by side.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Great shots! Thanks.

Did you feel that the LT150 pulled toward blue a bit? I've been noticing it quite a bit (compared to my D-ILA), and have noticed it in in many pictures (including these).

By the way, the Sanyo looks like a great projector. Very vibrant! Was screen door much of an issue between the two (LCD/DLP)? How about rainbow?

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by milori:
Great shots! Thanks.

Did you feel that the LT150 pulled toward blue a bit? I've been noticing it quite a bit (compared to my D-ILA), and have noticed it in in many pictures (including these).
Yeah it was a bit blue and the Sanyo was a bit red. One good thing about the Sanyo, the colors adjustments seem to work better. I can fix color problems with the Sanyo much easier. Of course if I only had ColorFacts I could really get these both of these puppies set right.

Quote:
By the way, the Sanyo looks like a great projector. Very vibrant! Was screen door much of an issue between the two (LCD/DLP)? How about rainbow?

Thanks again,

Mark
Screen door for the LT150 was minimal, only noticable at closer than 5 feet. The Sanyo was noticable at about 10' but my seating distance will be 12' and the image is really silky at that distance. BTW, too bad you won't be at CEDIA, but enjoy your wedding.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This is a terrific post. I really appreciate your taking the time to set these up, take the shots, and post them.

I considered that camera, but it was a bit out of my price range. You can really tell the difference in quality of the digital cameras when there is little light available. In daylight, they seem to mostly perform quite well. I suppose it is similar to projectors, but they need less light to look good rather than more.

The Sanyo's colors are absolutely wonderful compared to the LT150. Then again, without the reference point, I might not have noticed.

As with all things, each projector should be optimized and then compared.

Kelly

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
As I have been told before on this forum "Pictures are worthless when comparing projectors". I don't really agree with this but it has some validity.

Jonmx,

I notice some blurriness on the shots, I guess this was due to no tripod. Also I wonder if the Sanyo was so bright that it was washing out the NEC image. I've taken much better pics of LT150 screen images and posted them here in the past. If you compared these to the ones of the Sanyo posted here then the 150 would be the clear winner. Since you saw the projectors in action, do you feel like the pictures give a fair comparison of the projectors ability?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Morton:
Since you saw the projectors in action, do you feel like the pictures give a fair comparison of the projectors ability?
The camera did a good job at catching the images, but I need to spend more time with each projector. I am certain both can be improved.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I think your pics show the Sanyo's brightness in comparison to the LT150 very well. But to be fair to the LT150 a full screen image of the same frame should be taken separately under the same conditions. Your camera is adjusting to the light of the Sanyo making the NEC look very dark.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I did a face off between these projectors with snapshots a while ago at http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006623.html

I preferred the LT150 in overall picture quality. I felt the LT150 won in black level and contrast. I also felt color saturation was very good on both units. The added brightness on the XP21N definitely gives a feeling of more vibrant color, though.

The biggest drawback of the XP21N in my opinion was screendoor to which I am apparently very sensitive. I thought it was very distracting in bright screens from about 17' away from an 8' wide screen. I got the same effect at Infocomm with the PLV60 in the Sanyo booth. Defocussing softens the image too much for my liking so I did not consider it an option.

--Les

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Morton:
I think your pics show the Sanyo's brightness in comparison to the LT150 very well. But to be fair to the LT150 a full screen image of the same frame should be taken separately under the same conditions. Your camera is adjusting to the light of the Sanyo making the NEC look very dark.
That's a valid point, but if you don't take the picture at the same time, the camera will then capture each one differently. To give a relative prespective, it is best to capture the image at the same time, IMO. That way the camera function is more controlled. There are a dozens of different variables (with thousands of combinations) to consider. These pictures represent just a few data points.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.