AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up one of these projectors at work.

Took it home for the weekend to "audition" it, because I've been considering getting one this year.

The brightness, black level, and overall image quality were superb (to my eyes.)

However, the rainbows were CONSTANT.. I watched the Terminator Special Edition DVD, (off HTPC) and I saw at least one approximately every 5 seconds throughout. I tried various refresh rates to no avail.

I then watched the first episode of Alias off TiVo (S-Video direct..), and they weren't as bad.. Still not good, though.

My friend was there the whole time, and never saw one. Apparently I'm prone to seeing these things.

I had the screen size set to exactly 6 feet diagonal. Is there another projector in this price range that can produce a similar image without rainbows? If not, can someone recommend a rear projection HDTV that can come close?

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should I be looking at an NEC LT155, or is there a better choice in the world of 1024x768 LCD projectors?

It's worth noting that there are no places to demo these things in my area, so no matter what I choose, I'll be buying it sight unseen.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
what resolution were you running it out of your HTPC? When I first got my LT150 I was seeing quite a bit of rainbows but after switching the resolution to 1920x1080p I all but stopped seeing them. Other people have experienced the same thing.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ehh? Shouldn't the HTPC be set to 1024x768?

I didn't try it in any other resolution.

I guess it's worth another try.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
1) Rainbows can go away after 2 weeks of nightly viewing as your brain adapts to it.

2) gray screen can help improve blacks, contrast and decrease screendoor and rainbows (higher gain does opposite). Whites, colors, and brighness will dim slightly with gray screen (depending on how dark gray you choose).

3) sitting further back can help diminish rainbows due to less eye darting.

4) watching DLP when tired makes rainbows worst.

5) some get eye strain and headaches along with rainbows.

6) Rainbows are worst with lower resolution and poorer sources.

The reason someone mentioned 1080p was that some people believe LT150 does a better job of down scaling than upscaling of 16:9 material. Howerver it tends to screw up your HTPC desktop, aspect ratio on some software DVD players, and make fonts too small to read. I personally find NO improvements on my Radeon VE HTPC. Others may find improvement due to better video cards which may do better at higher resolution. I found 1080p softens image slightly and prefer the XGA resolution.

CRT, LCD, and LCOS has no rainbow problems. Consider XGA or WXGA LCD for less screendoor problem. If you can put up with rainbows, the new HP XB31 should beat LT150 from specs alone for slightly more money $3500.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Defiler,

A long time ago when I lived near Cape Canaveral we had a similar situation with absolutely no high end audio dealers nearby, even in Orlando. I ended up spending a weekend auditioning systems in Miami and Coral Gables. It was the best use of my time that I can remember. You might even find that the Orlando area has a good selection of dealers to visit.

Auditioning projectors before you buy is critical. Most all have tradeoffs that affect buyers dirrerently. You have already encountered the DLP rainbow phenomenum, every LCD that I have seen has too much screendoor for my eyes to accept. Seeing the tradeoffs with your own eyes is worth a weekend of your time. You will live with your choice for a long time.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Bought recently a LT150z.

Watched a movie that I have seen lots of times (Gladiator)...

Saw tons of rainbows...

Watched a couple of movies I never saw...

Better.

after 40 hours viewing? I cannot remember when did I see a rainbow lately... For me, prolonged viewing is the trick... My brain adapted to the rainbows, and discarts that information obviously...

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Brinkman
Seeing the tradeoffs with your own eyes is worth a weekend of your time. You will live with your choice for a long time.
Thanks. I'll do that. Now I just need to find a place to demo the LT155..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.