Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a NEC LT150z. I will use it in the econmy lamp mode. In this mode it is rated at 840 ANSI Lumes.

I am looking to get the Da-Lite DaMat High Contrast screen with a gain of 0.8.

My room will be pitch dark. All the walls are painted dark and it will be very dark in there.

What is the largest screen size I can get and still get a nice and bright picture.

Will a 145 inch diagonal be too big for it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I used a Da=lite 92" by 69" screen with that PJ and it worked well. In econo mode it's still very bright.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
SMPT standard for movie theaters is around 16 ft lamberts minimum. Without knowing the exact dimensions of the screen (WidthxHeight) can't say for sure, but I would say that that size screen and material would not work for an LT150z.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am in the process of hanging my new Da-Lite 92" x 69" screen for use with an LT-150z.

I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, Da-Lite just came out with a new fabric that I'm using called High Contrast Matte White which is actually slightly gray in color.

It has a gain of 1.1 and is gray. It doesn't cost anymore than regular fabric and AVS is offering special pricing over in the Screens forum on this new offering. It's how I got my screen.

Andrew

·
Registered
126 Posts
FWIW – I have an 800/Lumen LT-150 firing into a Stewart Ultramatte 150 (ie, 1.5 gain) that is 90†diag (4:3) some 9.5’ away in a light-controlled theater.

My personal opinion (for the LT-150 PJ's) is to remain in the 1.3 to 1.5 gain range for three-to-six people (in two rows) when the first row is no closer than 15’ from the screen (ie, not too wide a viewing angle).

This was my first venture into building my first HT in “HT-land†and I’ve learned a great deal about what I like and don’t like. Much like “a girl can’t be too thin or too richâ€, my motto now is “my PJ can’t be too powerful or the screen too big†- and if I were to rebuild my HT it would have a PJ minimum of 1800 lumens, 800:1 contrast, and 150†diag. screen.

Just my opinion…..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Apologies – for I didn’t address your question: “Will a 145 inch diagonal be too big for it?â€

I would say, “YESâ€, it is too big. My screen size (90†diag) is about the maximum size I would go in a light-controlled room with an LT-150. Personally I would love a much larger screen but from my experience the LT-150 doesn't have enough "horsepower" to drive a much larger screen without losing “detail in the dim lightâ€.

It’s kind of a personal thing – for I like bright stunning vivid color that overwhelms you with the images on the screen - vivid, not blinding. Such a large screen (145") w/LT-150 would be much like watching a movie through sunglasses.

Keep in mind the lesson we learned in elementary physics class regarding the amount of light required to adequately view images as the projection surface area increases.

With that, I’m back into the woodwork. Again, these are *ONLY* my opinions based on my personal experience… I'm not a optical scientist nor do I play one on TV :)

Good Luck….

·
Registered
302 Posts
TMX,

I have a 150z that I use as our day-to-day TV (in eco-mode). It is in the family room and I have little control of the ambient light. For that reason, I got a Draper Targa 1.0 gain 84" screen. The picture is fine for watching regular (non hi-def) DirecTV during the day (for this reason and because I'm 12 feet away, I wouldn't want the screen to be any larger).

At night though (with no ambient), I think a 100" would be bright enough (depending on what you are looking for) , especially with a higher-gain screen. This is for my needs (not an out-of-body HT experience), if you are looking for a grander experience, I'd agree with Alysa above. Good luck. HNick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.