AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying out the X1 I think that I've decided on the NEC LT240K based on a lot of the reviews I've read here as well as Projector Central.

The HT1000 is out of my price range and the LT240K seems to fit the bill. Does anyone know if a newer version is coming out anytime soon and what would be the expected price range? I guess I'm also waiting for reviews of the 4805 when it comes out.

Rainbows don't affect me or my family so that's not an issue, I like the higher resolution features as well as the XGA. I'm watching NTSC digital cable 80% and DVD's 20%. I'm so glad that I waited and didn't buy an RPTV last year, even the X1 impressed the wife!

Oh, I'm viewing on a 4/3 84" screen about 11' away in a contolled ambient light environment.

Thanks-

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I don't think that there is a newer version of the LT240K coming out anytime soon.

Get back to me if you have an questions.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Spoll, I had to delete the other thread that you just started. You are not allowed to post "Where to buy" threads of any kind. Please read the forum posting guidelines if you have any questions. You can find a link at the top of this forum.

As for the LT240K... it's a great projector. If you have any specific questions just ask them in this thread.

Thanks,

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just posted another question about the LT240k because I did not receive any responses to this thread.

Anyway, it sounds great from all the reviews, sounds like the little brother to the HT1000, but that's more than I'd like to spend for now. I hate buying it sight unseen, but my experience with an X1 was nice and I don't have a problem with rainbows because I just don't see any.

I guess I'm just looking for some more reviews from current owners and wondering if they're happy with the 240k?

Thanks-

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
No problem!

What area do you live in? You might find someone on the forum who is willing to demo it for you. You never know...

·
Registered
29,539 Posts
The LT-240k's only drawback in comparison to the X1 is that the 240k's deinterlacing quality isn't so great. This won't be a problem if you feed it progressive scan signals (prog-scan DVD player, HDTV, etc.).

You say "NTSC digital cable". I'm assuming that means it's not an HD cable box? If your existing cable box does not output progressive scan, you might want to invest in an external line-doubler.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i have seen the lt 240k. the picture is essentially an x1 with higher resolution. the color wheel is the same speed as the x1 so the frequency of rainbows is about the same.

and oh yeah, the image is very different from an HT1000.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Hmmm... for one thing the LT240K is much brighter than the X1. I've had the 240K and the X1 side by side. There's more to the 240K than just higher resolution. The optics are much better and the image is much sharper as well. I also found the blacks (CR) to be better as well.

Not to mention the shorter throw, sealed optics, accublend technology, etc...

Just my opinion...

BTW, Josh is dead on with his opinion when it comes to deinterlacing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm running a Denon 1805 progressive scan dvd player and correction, IO digital cable box from Cablevision but there aren't a lot of HDTV choices here.

What component cables would you recommend for the 240k?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I recently upgraded to the LT240k from the LT150 and I'm very impressed with the 240k. I'm using it on a 9 foot dalite hipower screen (16x9) and the picture is beautiful. HD looks great as well as DVD's. Regular cable is not an issue for me as my 240k is in a dedicated environment - we watch TV upstairs on a different setup. We only use the PJ for DVD and certain HD material (sporting events, the Oscars).

Anyway, I live in Staten Island, NY which isn't too far from you. You are welcome to come and check it out if you'd like.

Herm

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcebedo1

and oh yeah, the image is very different from an HT1000.
The LT240K becomes a whole different animal when powered by an HTPC with a Radeon based video card. The PQ improves tremendously and can come reasonably close to a HT1000 that is being fed from a standard or progressive DVD Player.

Lenny Eckian

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I've seen the HT1000 with the Bravo D1 at 720P. The only advantage I saw over the 240K was the black level.

And even that was very close.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
from a recent shootout i saw, in terms of sharpness, yes both are quite the same. however in terms of deeper black level, and lesser rainbows, the HT1000 is much better at it.

the differences in black level was quite great in the shootout i saw, the HT1000's black level was so deep that dark scenes never looked gray. the black level of the lt240k was clearly grayer in comparison to the ht1000 (due to the RGBW wheel).

well if you pop in a bright movie like finding nemo, then i doubt that the deeper black will make a difference. but the scene that we used was when gandalf falls in the mines of moria in lotr ii. that scene is of very dark and low contrast and it will truly show a projectors' ability to do black.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I still think that you would have to have them side by side to see the difference in black level. (Like I said above, it's the only difference that I saw and it was minor.) Aside from that I don't see how the image is "very different". I really can't comment on rainbows since I don't see them.

The blacks on the 240K are anything but gray. IMHO

BTW, do you know what settings were used for both PJ's?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
or maybe my eyes are just really really picky. that's why i tweaked the x1 despite the contrast already being good (for most people). i never really was satisfied with the blacks of a stock x1. the same thing goes for the lt 240k. or any other dlp projector that has rgbw color wheel.

i do not know the settings, but both were calibrated before the evaluation. . the 240k was shown first and then ht1000 immediately right after.

what i mean of that it looks different is that the 240k looked more "digital" and the ht1000 looked more "filmlike".

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Interesting. I use to own a Marquee 8000 CRT so I also know what a good black level looks like. :)

I find that when my calibrated 240K is fed 720P from my Momitsu... it's very film-like. Very similar to what I saw on my M8000 but with some advantages. One thing, was "black detail" switched on while testing the 240K? If not... it didn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Your milage may vary. I chose LT240K because of:

- all family members not bothered by its rainbow, if there is any.

- price/performance can't be beaten

- bright enough to illuminate 110" DIY gray screen with low gain, even with 2000 hrs on the lamp in eco mode.

- sealed optics, less chance of dust introduction

- build quality

My previous projector NEC VT540K ran like a rock for two years without a glitch. However it's lumen is not enough after 1500 hrs in eco mode.

LT240K coupled with tweaked HTPC is even better. VMR9, Zoomplayer, WinDVD codecs and ffdshow resize to XGA native using either sinc, spline or lanczos is jaw dropping. Of course its black not true black but I really don't have any complaint when its price tag is just 2 grands US$.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.