AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my new LT85 yesterday but haven't had a chance to set it up yet. For those who may not know, the LT85 is basically the same projector as the LT150, except that it's only SVGA instead of XGA.

I already own an older non-progressive DVD player. I also own an IBM Thinkpad 600x which is a Pentium III 500Mhz with a DVD-ROM drive (can't remember the speed, probably important to know).

I want to use my projector mated with a 16x9 screen as I'll primarily be watching DVDs. If I do watch TV (via a DirecTiVo), I'll probably use the S-Video connector and the "Native" mode which supposedly shows the 4:3 image at native res (480 lines?) in the center of the panel.

Given the information above, can/should I use my laptop to view DVDs on this? I realize that I don't have a high powered computer and high powered graphics card, but I'm hoping that the fact that I've only got an 800x600 projector might mean that I could get away with the hardware that I have. Or, would a progressive DVD player produce an image that is better or just as good than I'd be able to produce with my setup?

If using the laptop will still produce a better image than a progressive DVD player, what else do I need? Specifically, what software should I use and which PCMCIA digital output card should I get? Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've watched LT150 connecting to IBM and Sony laptops. The performance was bad. I think the VGA output and the video card from laptops is not good for HT. A decent progressive dvd player is a better choice unless there is laptop with internal Radeon video card.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, CKL. I realize that this is now off-topic for this forum, but could you provide some suggestions for a good inexpensive progressive player? I want to use my LT85 with a 16:9 screen and am unclear as to whether I need an RP91 or if something like an RP56 would suffice. I seem to recall reading something about an RP91 doing something that I might need when pairing a 4:3 projector with a 16:9 screen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the RP91 can add black bars on the sides of the image when viewing a 4:3 image, thus allowing me to keep my projector in one location (i.e. - not have to move the projector closer to the screen) when I want to watch a 4:3 image insdie my 16:9 screen. I believe the third alternative is to use the LT85/LT150's "Native" mode with the S-Video input, though this will not line-double the image, correct? Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
817 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the situation of RP91. Why don't you build an HTPC for LT85? I have both HTPC and progressive DVD player Philips Q50 (using Faroudja chip). HTPC is sharper than PS DVD player and don't have the scaling artifacts. For the best video, please use HTPC. Moreover, HTPC is easy to scale an 4:3 picture to fit your 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, back on topic...

I also own an old desktop computer. It's a PII 233Mhz computer. Obviously, this is slower than my laptop. However, it offers the advantage of allowing me to put in a new video card. Again, is it wishful thinking to think that this could provide an improvement over a progressive player?

If not, how about this: I'm always tracking techbargains.com and the clearance section of several companies (e.g. - microwarehouse). What's the minimum (i.e. - least expensive) CPU, RAM, HD, video card, and digital audio output card that I would need to have a noticeable picture improvement over a progressive DVD player? For instance, I found some "barebone" systems at Access Micro which come with CPU, RAM, case, power supply, etc. Basically, everything except HD, OS, video card, and sound card. The cheapest system they have is $209 with a Celeron 800 and 128MB of RAM. Is this CPU/RAM good enough? If so, what video card, sound card, HD, and OS would I want to mate with that? Thanks again,

Scott

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by srauly
OK, back on topic...

The cheapest system they have is $209 with a Celeron 800 and 128MB of RAM. Is this CPU/RAM good enough? If so, what video card, sound card, HD, and OS would I want to mate with that? Thanks again,

Scott
The package should be good enough for HTPC and you need:

video card: ATI Radeon LE or VE if you need dual mon

sound card: Sound Blaster Live 5.1

HD: It is not quite critical if you don't use the HTPC to capture the video . But I recommend IBM DTLA307030 30GB/7200rpm/UDMA100

TV Tuner card: Choose one with S-video input so that you can input other 480i video source to HTPC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.