AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so darn close to getting my pj Thanks for all the help. Has anyone compared the lt150 to the lt85 side by side ?I know the basic concept is xga vs svga. but would there be a hugh picture difference, Since the lt85 is fairly new and the lt 150 is or going to be discontiued (and due to price difference) I'm leaning toward the lt85. I know there are still some of the lt150 models around . Right now the best prices are $1730 for the lt85 and $2400 for the 150. Although I'm going to try to call dell and see if they will give the discount they had on the 18th (Idoubt it). anyways even at the current prices there is a $670 difference Maybe I'm trying to be too cheap, and the fact thaqt the 150 is going away bothers me a little, but i wanted another opinion. I will have a relatively small screen about 70" in 4X3 I will sit aprox 10' away from screen,the pj will sit on a shelf on my coffee table shooting straight forward . I am 90% sure i will eventually build a htpc but right now just a plain jane pio dvd player w/component and a sat dish with s video. Given these specs and the smaller screen size what are everybodys opinion . Thanks in advance Wayne

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Read www.projectorcentral.com discussion on SVGA vs. XGA units. The concensus is go XGA if you can afford it as HDTV will be better on XGA due to 1080i (1080 vertical resolution) will be downscaled less on XGA units. LT85 is cheaper but SVGA may not go as far in the long run with HDTV around the corner. It'll be fine for DVD but you'd have to sit a little further back than LT150. I have LT150 and love mine. I think you'd love either, but side-by-side I'd bet you'll pick LT150 for higher resolution, less screen-door effect (pixelization), ability to sit closer to screen without pixelation therefore seeing a bigger picture, etc.

Good luck, and go for it as you won't regret it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On non hd format will there be a picture difference? ? Right now I'm not doing hd and probably wont for at least 6mo. My thought is this is my first pj, and if i get hooked I can get the better NEW lt150z, (which by then will have made its inital price drop after introduction)If i do hd or get more serious, I am comming from a mits rptv. Then if i do this i can either move it to the bedroom and free up some space or sell it

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
side by side so that you can compare them in person. That will make your decision an informed one. Even better, try to get the place to let you take the 2 of the home and compare them head to head in your own place.

- JP

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
StereoBuff,

If you have ANY prospect for watching HDTV I'd get the LT-150 (in fact I did). Even for DVDs the 16:9 resolution is 1024 X 576 vs. 800 X 450. The DLP will reduce the effect of pixel gap a bit over 800 X 600 LCD FPTVs where is can be bothersome, but viewed from 10' away it still might be a problem.

For me, I would never consider buying any FPTV under 1024 X 768 resolution, and even though you might save some money now, you will probabably have more problem selling the LT85 later, and have to take less money for it used becaise of the lower resolution capability.

Also, if you look around, you can find barely used LT150s for around $2000 which narrows the difference between models.

I would not worry about the LT150 being discontinued, as most of these projectors are only on the market for about a year or so anyway. And as long as you can get replacement bulbs, you're fine.

I just bought a new replacement bulb for $272 (I only have 150 hrs on my current one, but wanted a spare), so that makes for a decent per hour operating cost.

-Dean.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If it means anything to you, I just bought an LT85 (still haven't had time to hook it up). I plan to use it with a relatively small 16:9 screen for DVD watching and an occassional DirecTiVo show (NFL would be nice but I believe that DirecTV overcompresses the NFL broadcasts).

When I was getting my satellite dish hooked up there was a chance that I might be going HDTV, but trees were in the way of that satellite. Because of this and the fact that the LT150 was priced about $2300-2400 new from reputable places and I had a chance at an LT85 for $1600 (Dell 20% off deal), I went for it. For me, the lack of HDTV (now) and the $700+ price difference made it a relatively easy choice.

Based on your immediate needs (no HDTV, small screen), I would think that an LT85 will suit you just fine. Give $300 to a charity, and you'll still come out ahead and feel better as a person.

Scott

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi,

I have just received my Lt85.

I sit at 15' from a 49"x87" screen and the Picture is Excelent, no screen door etc.. (Prog Scan DVD).

Antonio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.