Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

Here is a Mechanical Setup Producre for the NEC PG series of projectors.

Tinman did the writing and I did the editing.

Hopefully this will be of some use to people just starting off in the world of projector HT.

This procedure just covers the all important mechanical setup so once you have this completed you'll need to do the electronic convergence as detailed in your manual.

Thanks to Tinman for all the work!!

pg mechanical setup.13.pdf 104.9736328125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Feathers and Tinman,

Thank you guys, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a fantastic help and a "MUST READ" for all NEC PG beginners as i am.

I was looking for such a procedure since i got my PG9 and i'm glad that someone technically so experienced as Tinman finally wrote it.

Thank you Tinman for the "getting it done"!

Thank you Feathers for the editing. That's "WORK" too! :D

Marco

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Great work guys.

Anyone want to tackle an XG setup from the ground up? I can donate some of my time for editing and I also have a digital camera to include some XG specific pics if necessary.

Gary

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Yes, Guy's well written article is suggested for more reading. The NEC article is an attempt to help with those models in particular. While most of these procedures will work with any projector, the NEC's do have some particular differences that we attempt to explain.

Marc

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROCEDURE QUESTION

OK, I actually did a setup on my 9+ when I was assisting on the procedure.

I now have a question about it. :)

In the FOCUS POT section, the procedure states to turn the green focus adjust pot and see how that affects the focus and most importantly see if the green crosshair MOVES. That will tell you if you need to make an astig adjustment.

The question is HOW MUCH MOVEMENT am I looking for???

I adjusted the pot and going in one direction the crosshair would blurr (or flair) to one side and then when i moved the pot in the other direction, that blurr went away, the pattern focused and then it blurred (flaired) to the other side of the crosshair lines.

Since I've never seen this done before I'm not sure what to expect here.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarify, the main crosshair line did not move but it would flair or blurr to one side or the other when i was moving the focus pot.

So WHAT kind of movement and how MUCH movement am I looking for here???

:)

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
It may not be War & Peace but it is still a classic!

Thanks Tinman and Feathers you have lifted yet another veil to the understanding of this complex beast's many intricacies.

Might we expect a chapter II?

"The NEC Electronic Setup/Tuning Procedure"

There is no rush, we will need a few weeks to accomplish/tweak what we have just been given.

Again, many thanks from this 6200 owner.

The more I know the more I can appreciate the work of a professional calibrationist.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanx! :)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
To clarify... ( I should have known ) :)

The crosshairs, or Dots, or ANY pattern should have NO movement in ANY direction when changing focus.

It should only blurr. Preferably in the center of the line/Dot, or any pattern you use to check focus. Not left, right, etc. I am sure we will make some corrections/elaborations as needed.

Marc

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bravo!!!!

Thank you for taking the time and energy to put this together. I wish something like this came in the NEC manual. An absolutely incredible job.

This (and Guy's Holy Focus) definitely deserve some kind of permanent placement in a CRT FAQ - much like the one in the HTPC forum.

- Mark

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Part II would be a novel..... I'll have to think about that. The manual already spells out the convergence procedure, and it is good once you have a clean mechanical setup.

I'm not sure an advanced guide is needed.

Marc

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you guys!!!:D

I bought the old sony 1030 and after a couple of months there was a Faq, now i'm about to get my new 9Pg Xtra fixed and i get this... i'm lucky ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
How about just helping with the philosophy and zen of setting contrast and brightness.

Perhaps even using AVIA to set grey level.

What test pattern to use and how to set it correctly?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll be updating the procedure in a day or so. I'm going to do some clarification on the astig section.

I'm finding that this stuff really isn't tough to do but woooooo it sure does take a lot of time. I'm also past the phase of being nervous about sticking my hand inside the pj to adjust the magnets. Its not so bad.

So keep an eye open for the updated procedure....coming to a book store near you.....OK, I'll just post it here instead. :)

Jim

·
Registered
437 Posts
Some things I would add to the Mechanical Setup procedure is to try to place it in it's final position (as you stated) and then run a degauss cycle. This will help eliminate the effects of stray magnetic fields effecting the setup.

Regards,

Ira

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.