AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple of months, I have been thinking about the Pany 42WD5 model (and to a lesser extent 42HD5), but recently (today) read about the NEC MP3 and MP4 (I think that is what they are called). I am concerned about PQ, cost, upgradeability, ease of set-up, service, and over-all value (who isn't). At the present, I only have cable (no box) (OTA signals are weak), and I watch DVDs from a non progressive scan player.

Now I have read what I can about the Panys and the NECs, but I have some questions:

1. Do the NECs have DVI/HDCP inputs?

2. Is the PQ comparible?

3. Which is upgradeable?

4. Which would you consider, given the circumstances I live under, and why?

Being up here in Gods country, with virtually no HD signals anywhere and hardly any samples to see in any local stores, I am unsure about a lot. Would appreciate any insight anyone could give me, whether you own a Pany, an NEC, or are an informed expert.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thread. Apparently, neither the pany nor the NEC offer DVI/HDCP at this point. Other than that, both the Pany and the NEC seem to be good displays. NOw I have to fingure which would be more bang for the buck.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The Panasonics are much cheaper than the NEC models. The NECs have more input connectors than the limited Panasonics however. The Pioneer has more input connectors and also upgradability due to its card slot and are at bargain prices - they are the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks DonBerg. Have not given Pioneers much thought. How is their performance compared to the Pany and NEC?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think that pq among the popular plasma models are very comparable. What you need to do is decide how much $$$ you are willing to spend and what features you would like to see on your tv. I have had my NEC 42MP3 for over a year and absolutely love it...fwiw.

Regards,

Ricky

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ricky. What is it that you so much love about your NEC?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I love the flatness of it...3.5", I love the fact it makes no noticable noise during operation, I love the color rendition (after avia calibration), it displays a wonderfully 3-d pq w/hd sources (even though it doesnt have enough resolution to be deemed an "hd" set), I love the fact it has discrete picture settings per input, it has plenty of inputs, it was inexpensive last year...$4600 from Dell. But like I said earlier, most new and current plasmas have very similar features and pq. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ricky

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Ricky for your opinions. They are very helpful.

·
Registered
142 Posts
MY first expirience is happening now. Where I work we got the NEC 61MP1 (bigger and more expensive). Not using HD sources, progressive DVD, and S video and in house cable TV feed. So far I am impressed with it, the quality is great. It has inputs galore. My only concern is the "phosphor burn" potential. But for home I would consider it as an option. I am happy with my RPTV CRT for now though.

Howard

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, Howard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
BTW, we are using PC's for presentations. Just to clarify, as I may have made sound confusing...I am not using HDTV but we are using all the other sources I mentioned.

Howard

PS Let us know what you do / end up with

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.