AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an NEC MP3 42" bought about 1.5 years ago through Dell, just helped a friend buy a PIO 503CMX thanks to all the help on this forum and FAQs he is totally amazed, so thanks for all your help. Now I of course have Plasma enevy, but I will wait another couple years for my next Plasma. Was curious what settings others who have an MP3 are running. Need to dial mine in and have never taken the time. Also have not quite wrapped my brain around how much worse my plasma at 853x480 is than his at 1280x768 for HDTV signals. I mean if I was watching mine next to his, would I want to throw my Plasma out the window?

Thanks for your help

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Many people with 42" ED plasmas (ED=853x480) have unrealistic expectations regarding 42" HD plasmas and HDTV. In fact, with the current signals available and with both plasmas calibrated and without an external scaler - it's quite likely there won't be much difference. Of course, your friend has a 50" plasma vs. your 42" plasma, but that's something else...

The bottom line is: calibrate your plasma. If you need the hidden service menu information - contact me and I'll email you some info ([email protected]).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve...

We have the MP3 and also bought it about a year and a half ago. We've been very pleased with HDTV picture.... In fact I think it looks better than DVD's. We have a HD cable box with component out, and have that input to the corresponding component inputs on the MP3. It sync's up at 1080i and looks great. The Master's Golf tournament last weekend was like looking out a window onto the course. So I wouldn't worry about the resolution of your screen for HDTV, if you haven't gone there yet. The screen size difference is another story... I can't comment on that, but I'm sure bigger would be better...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Generally the MP3 handles HD fairly well but for critical HD viewing I use my 720P projector. I am driving my MP3 display via component at 480p, 720p and 1080i. My HD stb drives at 1080i and the MP3 handles that very well. I am having some issues with 720p where at times I get some wavy light/dark artifacts that move through the display. It seams to come and go so I have not been able to track it down, overall it has not been a big issue. I use 720P for on a HTPC using a AA transcoder, 720P was the only mode I could get to work well due to overscan issues. I do have some issues reading small fonts and the display is not as sharp on the desktop due to the MP3 scaling the the 720p to 480p, but for video it is working find with my myHD card, DVD playback and using descaler for with my dtivo. I think the processor is a little buggy inside of the mp3 with video sources via composite input where you get an artifact that looks like every other scan line is missing on some screen transitions. Since I started using descaler this problem have not noticed this problem anymore. If you are interested I can provide you my custom timing from powerstrip.

Regards,

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.