AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a lot of respect for NEC products. I've owned direct view TVs and even VCRs from them that were excellent performers and very reliable. So I'm curious about their LCD flat panels....specifically the M40 and M46. I've inquired before in this forum if anyone had any experience or exposure to these panels, but apparently no one had. Some time has gone by and I thought I'd ask again in the hopes that more of these sets might have made it to market and that there would be some feedback as to their performance and relative competitiveness. On their web site they list the following features:

>Full 1080p HD resolution

>Open architecture expansion slot

>Interchangeable black or silver bezel

>Digital video interface with HDCP

>Thermostatic cooling protection for long life

>Simple on-screen menu navigation

>SpectraView Color Calibration Solution

>CammaComp MD DICOM and programmable lookup table

>Adjustable color temperature (2600 - 10,000K)

>CableComp long cable compensation

>Available HD tuner, speakers and wall mount

>3-year parts and labor warranty, including backlight

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anybody own one yet? I'm considering returning my Samsung 4665 to get this, because the Samsung has too much lag (50-60ms on all inputs, I think....). I hope someone can do a dual-output PC clone stopwatch pic test....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own an M46-AVT and have DVE and am just starting to play with tweaking the set. Initially, I am impressed with what I see, but I'd like to achieve what I've read is possible after tweaking from some of the reviews.

I don't have alot to contribute at this point, I'm connected to my xbox 360 and its HD DVD player and am mostly watching HD DVD's and HD OTA. (although I am impressed with regular DVD's played through the xbox unit)

Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anybody know where I can test one in Southern California? Or does anyone know if it really is only 18ms of lag (compared to 50 or so for my Samsung)? The Samsung really does suck for gaming, and I'd like to sell it, but only if I know I can buy something better..... (please, I'm getting desparate...)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought one M46-AV the other day. Never seen a sturdier piece of equipment in my whole life. It is made entirely from steel/aluminum with big steel handles on the back for safe carrying.

The picture quality is very good and highly adjustable. The blacks are good but not excellent.

However, this monitor has one BIG flaw as I see it. The internal power supply emits a high pitched switching noise. The noise varies with what picture is currently on screen so it gets pretty annoying.

The noise is so loud that it will be pointless to buy a high-end home theater sound system - the noise will ruin all the fun.

The monitor also has internal fans. Those are not the problem though because they will only turn on if the ambient temperature is extremely high.

Edit: I have to withdraw my initial criticism regarding this noise. After about a week of use the noise is gone. I have no idea how this can be. Possibly the monitor has some active "break-in" system that operates the electronics and backlight differently during the first hours of operation to increase the life of the product.

There is also an initial ticking/crackling sound when the backlight fluorescent tube inside heats up, so this monitor gets a double thumbs-down for its acoustics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.