AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Special cooling through closed off heat exchange. Productsheet is not yet on the website, link in the release doesn't work, and sitesearch doesn't know nc1201, but I assume this is based on the Hybrid LASER-Phosphor platform.

NEC DISPLAY SOLUTIONS ANNOUNCES LATEST LASER PROJECTOR ‘GAME CHANGER’ FOR DIGITAL CINEMA
CHICAGO - April 21, 2015

NC1201L Projector Delivers High-Quality Cinema Projection for Modestly Sized Theaters

NEC Display Solutions of America, a leading provider of commercial LCD display and projector solutions, today announced July 2015 availability of the latest addition to its digital cinema laser projector lineup, the NC1201L Digital Cinema Projector, targeted to modest theaters.
As part of NEC’s Digital Cinema Projector Series, the NC1201L projector provides 14-ft. L (using a 1.8 gain screen) on screens up to 39.4 ft./12m in DCI color.
It continues NEC Display’s industry leadership of Digital Cinema-compliant projectors with built-in laser light sources. NEC’s NC1100L Digital Cinema Projector, announced in October 2013, was the first.
The NP-90MS02, NEC’s newest Integrated Media Server (IMS), offers a trouble-free, one-stop solution for exhibitors and other organizations, while the projector’s High Frame Rate (HFR) capability offers excellent picture quality. Its all-in-one IMS with 2TB RAID5 storage, fast upload of movies via USB 3.0 or Gigabit Ethernet (possible during playback) and support for playing movies directly from Network Attached Storage (NAS) offer versatile connectivity and savings with fewer peripheral devices needed.
Among the key features of the NC1201L Digital Cinema projector:
  • One touch operation, ergonomic keyboard layout and memory function
  • 2048 x 1080 resolution and 1750:1 contrast ratio
  • A multitude of lens options
  • Suitability for floor and ceiling installation with no exhaust system required
  • NEC's unique heat exchanger, a patent-pending system designed to cool the engine while creating a sealed barrier for both the optical and laser engines
  • Built-in 2TB RAID5 Storage Server, 2 x 3 GSDI, 1 x HDMI Interfaces, 1 x USB 2.2, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x eSATA and built-in GPIO functions
The NC1201L comes with a two-year limited warranty (for U.S. and Canada only), including parts and labor.
It will be demonstrated at CinemaCon 2015, the official convention of The National Association of Theatre Owners, today through April 23 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nev.
(*) This lifetime may vary depending upon environmental conditions.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PH1202HL is the 2K Hybrid, using the same case as this NC1201L. The PH1201QL is the 4K hybrid. And yes I also first thought this NC was an 4K projector. We still can't say if the new Multimedia projectors have the same issue as repoorted on the first generation 2K hybrid.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Interesting. the NC 1201QL is the 4K Blu Laser, maybe the NC1201L resolves the issues that were reported with the first generation 2K NC1100L.
I will give this a qualified: Think So. MAD MAX dci segments were mind blowing.;)

they call it second gen with more available troughput, which may come handy to dial in color.

EDIT: Not made by NEC but Delta that is 1st generation. This one 15% more power, optical improvements.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
The PH1202HL is 1080P Hybrid not 2K. The 1101 and 1201L are 2K. It's also interesting that NEC raised the price of the 1201QL to $150,000.00.

these model numbers are confusing, even their own people made the mistake, for 1 hour we thought the 1202HL was 4k and 50K with lens and server....LOL

The price for the 2k is not bad...

On the 1040L the next generation will be intriguing to say the least if they can improve as the 1202 did over the 1101....

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
pics , unit looked good upside down on ceiling mount low noise.

Attachments

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I think I understand now the question Art raised about the projector ability to do grey proper grey level tracking. It is something endemic to perhaps .65 chips which 4 are butchered dwon from a 4K chip. So there goes a lot of extra engineering by projector manufacturers, and because whether we like it or not some companies are more challenged in addressing the xls spreadsheet of correction values, shading compensations, and I thought I had left spreadsheets decades back when I worked at Andersen Consulting only to have to define a whole section, plan, implementation, QC exception wipe the crapload of work done and order another projector because these spreadsheets dont fix the color shading...

Basically if you plan on selling 4k and .65 dmd's there is a bunch of TI workarounds that are addressed in a compensation shading file. I have pics, but basically if you want to be profitable prepare to hike your system prices to cover for all this calibration bs that should have never been there had TI designed their dmd's right......

TI pushing accounting tools down our throat.... I have pics of files to explain this left sided of the brain CRAP. a necessary evil....

I think it is safe to assume that generation 2 means better grey scale tracking, no color fringing, better formulas on the spreadsheets.... I have pic of spreadsheet....

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I NEED TO MAKE A CORRECTION

This projector looks exactly like the one with 10,000-1 cr.

The part numbers are so confusing even the employees gave wrong info.I am sorry I added to the confusion. So much for hoping any dci projector including the NEC 1040 gets more contrast past the 2,300 until Dolby Vision.

TOO BAD that the adaptive iris cannot be implemented on the DCI model. MAYBE IT CAN???

Still the image was very nice.The Color on the blu laser yellow phosphor from Barco and NEC was hitting DCI,

The older DCI unit was not built by NEC but BY DELTA. I think that is where the problems lie.

SORRY FOLKS!!:(

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
There still remains a potential issue on 2 out of the 3 projector vendors. I am claiming you could be compromising 20 % resolution by not having access to an internal software tool that allows you to eliminate color misalignment of the panels. This applies only to 4k chips and .65 chips.

I would consider a Barco chassis if you want this important optical correction performed. It has to be done onsite, so with communications having to go across the globe, it's easy to understand the business decision.

There is however a Fantastic 6P laser solution, that gives you fantastic p3 color presentation, the potential for achieving a borad swatch of REC 20202 and "Hershell & Koshell (working name waiting for Donald:)) color intesity brightness perception benefits , yes remember the DPI LED appeared brighter, the Barco LUX system does that and more....

Picture of SUPER COOL COMPACT Barco 4k based streamlined HEAD coming.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I did a search to see if anymore theaters in Seattle were adding laser projectors (other than the Cinerama and IMAX at the Pacific Science Center) and found this about the Admiral theater in West Seattle just getting 2 laser projectors.

http://westseattleblog.com/category/admiral-theater/

From the picture I am guessing the one there is an NC1100L-A.

--Darin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts