Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I have the opportunity to purchase the above projector in used, but good condition. I have been searching the web for reviews and have not had much luck so I was wondering if anyone would care to submit an opinion on these units or point me in the direction of an on-line review ?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I may be a little biased.......I have 3 PG 6200's (at the moment...urge to buy...rising...)...

....but I reckon they are a killer buy.

It's rated as a 7" projector, but it has the same/similar tubes as a G70 and an XG (so it's really an 8"). Same lenses as an air coupled XG (HD-144's or 145's). EM focus, colour corrected, good for 720p to 816p or 1080i - they're just sweet.

Picture quality is close enough to an Air Coupled XG (only type around in Australia - except for 2 or 3 private imports) that I'm not losing any sleep. Price is 1/2 to 2/3 that of an XG here.

A late model Xtra 6200(A) was built at the same time as the first of the 3rd generation XG's, Xtra's were built from 95 to 98 I believe. In Australia they are the most plentiful PG model.

BUT... they require a skillful setup to realise their full potential, and can be pretty intimidating to a complete newbie. Experienced local help is definitely recommended.

AND I recommend 3 simple mods to improve reliability (Def board cap, heatsink under C/F drives, and additional fan on def board heatsink.)

If driven beyond specs in a hot environment without mods they will break eventually....

And the mechanical setup is critical, both for image quality and reliability.

But in my experience, even the most abused 6200 I've ever seen turned into a rock solid pj after replacing the failed powersupply. None of my 3 have any significant drift, all are watchable immediately after startup.

Would I swap it for a G70? Yup, in a flash - but realistically a G70 is going to cost you 2-3x as much $$.

If you're over in Melbourne anytime I'm happy to give you a demo.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not a fourth one mark!

Who needs a switcher,just buy one PG for every source.

Hell your place will end up looking like curt's,at least he sells his off.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have one myself and I'm very happy with it. Like Mark says, setup requires a lot of skill. I was a complete newbie myself when I installed it, and the setup was a real challenge. Not difficult, but very long-winded and exhausting.

Mark, have you actually managed to get 1080 lines of vertical resolution out of one of your Xtras ? 1080i(p) has to be compressed to a 16:9 AR rectangle on the tubeface, squishing lines together further. It would be the equivalent of a 1440x1920 resolution using the full face of the tubes, way beyond what the specs say about its capability.

I project 720p but with considerable line overlap, it is resolvable but barely. Then again my setup is probably not the best...

Thomas

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
No Thomas, I've never even tried, the scanline gaps on mine close up at 816p-824p. And at 75hz it's running out of scanrate (and BANDWIDTH) really fast. I find 50hz unbearable.

At 720p scanlines are visible at 2 metres.

It does however do 1080 interlaced really well. It can't fully resolve it, but 1:1 lines on a test pattern are visible - if your set is fully tweaked - throw distance and astig are critical. In fact throw distance is BRUTAL - if I move it 100mm further back the 1:1 lines disappear. Mine's at 1.3x width with HD-144 lenses.

I run 1080i at 75hz (37.5hz in Powerstrip), which is really weird if you think about it, but it works for me.

Some units are sharper than others, but 720p is well within it's capabilities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all ! I guess I'll start the negotiation !!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
If it doesn't go well, I might be able to sort you out......

....sailing close to the rules here ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.